Kittens, Umbellical Cords, And Stillborn. Advice Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone is okay. Mom is still very territorial info try to check on them. However she is roaming (in the house) alot throughout the day. When can I start them on a wet food? None of them will take the bottle or allow me to give them drops through the syringe and im stressing mom out alot to get no where. Any suggestions?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks they should start copying mom and eating wet food. They will still nurse for most of their food at that time as they get a feel for the whole chewing and solid thing. Between 5 weeks and 12 weeks they will switch over slowly eating more food and nursing less until they stop nursing.

They have made it this far, which is a minor miracle on its own. Hopefully, once they get a little more squiggly and moving around more independently Mom will relax a little more. They should be getting close to moving around outside of the nest and eating.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yay! They look like they are just about to go from the sleeping pile of kittens to the wobbly walking around. That stage is super cute.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have them in a tote as they were making a mess of my drawer
Should I try putting them back in the shallow bed? Mom seemed to like this better than the bed because she kept putting tjem back in the drawer if i put them in the bed.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’d leave them be. If Mom is happy with it it works. It also looks like it has high sides which probably keeps the heat in better (and will keep wobbly kittens in).

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also they will be 3 weeks tomorrow. Should i get a certain kind of food to have available to them?

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first of my kittens just tried food for the first time aged six weeks old, but my cat only has four so maybe yours will start earlier.
Well done with your rather large cat family - you have done an amazing job.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also they will be 3 weeks tomorrow. Should i get a certain kind of food to have available to them?
Whatever wet kitten food is in your budget. They probably won’t start trying it until they are more mobile. It’s usually a curiosity thing because they see Mom eating it, so once they are moving independently and getting into trouble.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am trying. These lol things aren't making it the easiest of tasks. Lol!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are doing great. It’s hard to believe it’s already been three weeks. With your litter size I wouldn’t be surprised if you have some eating once they are mobile.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will make sure it is in the room with mom so they can see her eating. Thanks! Also one of my boys looks like it may be a girl now. Care to take a peek? Lol

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the terrible quality
20180416_173807.jpg
He? She? Lol is a runner!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens tend to wean better at around 5-6 weeks old. Do they have teeth yet? They usually won’t eat until they have teeth, which is around 4 weeks old.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll let them do their own thing I was just curious. With mom leaving them so frequently i get worried. But they all seem to be doing okay.

Yes there is a few small spots of orange on this one. (#4)