Kittens, Umbellical Cords, And Stillborn. Advice Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think she is in heat or has been as i haven't seen her do the typical but in air and rubbing on everything. I wasn't sure if this was her heat or not she just seems very sad.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s a good deal. So will the foster take mom and kittens for good?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’d bet it’s her in heat. Either that or she’s starting to detach from the kittens since they are weaning.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The foster is taking the kittens and they will be up for adoption by application. I'm going to get mom spayed and keep her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens now? They need to stay with mom for 10-12 weeks. Mom should not be spayed until they are 8 weeks.

What is the plan going forward? I’m confused.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is looking weight and seems to be depressed. They think the best bet would be to get mom fixed since kittens aren't nursing anyhow. Mom has pretty well left them and stays in the other room all day. The only time she will even go in the room with the kittens is if i make her. When I called the vet and told her all this she thinks the best route would be to get mom spayed and let her back outside.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also once they start nursing, if they even come up to her, she gets up and leaves the room.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, at this point I agree with the vet.

When is the spay set for? She’ll need to stay in for 2-3 days after her surgery.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuesday. I plan to keep her in atleast 3 to be safe but will definitely let her behavior speak for itself.

Kittens are all doing excellent. They are all using the litter box and eating on thier own. Along with drinking water. They will eat both wet and dry kitten food.

Mom has really checked out and is just not acting herself. :(

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'll definitey keep her. She is already familiar with the environment and i feel she Will do best being an indoor/outdoor cat. She comes in when the weather isn't nice and goes out when she wants to. She typically comes in at night as well. She has my garage to go into if she wants as well as a neighbor that leaves hers accessble with food if I'm not available to let her in. I think she was just so use to going as she pleases that she will never be happy being inside 100% of the time.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mittens was spayed yesterday. She was pretty grumpy when when we got home. If the Kittens even came within her sight she growled and hissed at them. She later lightened up, I assume it was the anesthetic making her so moody.

She seems to be doing great today, eating and drinking fine and in good spirits.

Albert left yesterday to go to her forever home. With 2 very excited people! I have decided to keep the other Runt Georgie and he will be getting neutered around 3/4 months old at the same place.

My house is a crazy zoo with climbing, jumping, running kitties and though I know I can't keep 7 kittens, I will be so sad to take them to the shelter today to await their adoptions. I will definitely shed some tears today!

Thank you all so much for all of your help on our journey with these sweet, Very energetic Kitties!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You did an amazing job taking care of this little momma and her kittens. They will have nice lives in loving homes because of your hard work and dedication.:rock:

Last edited:

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My almost 3 year old was distraught yesterday when we dropped Mittens off. Cried all day about wanting her "Momma Mitty" She was so excited when we picked her up. She will be going with me to say goodbye to the Kittens and I'm sure it won't be very fun. She sure does love "her little guys"

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh, so hard to say “goodbye”. At least you are keeping mom and the runt. I hope all the kittens find fantastic forever homes!

Thanks for all that you did! :)

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are in thier new home. I am an emotional mess. Definitely hard to say goodbye! They seemed to like thier giant cage they were put in. It had toys and hammocks etc. They made themselves right at home. I'm sad to see them go but happy they will have good homes to go to once they are adoptable.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FB_IMG_1528170925850.jpg
All 6 of the Kittens that went to the shelter were adopted over the weekend! They renamed them the candy Kittens but "spook" stayed true to his original name! :lol: (Black and white in middle)

I kept Georgie the littlest runt. He is doing good and mom calmed down alot after being spayed. She started allowing Georgie to nurse again about a week after surgery and is still allowing him. Mom still likes to go outside but isn't as adventurous as she used to be. All in all everyone is doing great. Albert turned into a girl and still looks like a girl. She is with family friends that where so excited to get her.
Below is Georgie
20180612_093028.jpg

excuse my messy kitchen, I haven't unpacked from vacation yet!
20180612_093006.jpg

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20181210_114650.jpg
20181210_115337.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone will even see this, but I wanted to update. Georgie and Mittens are doing great. They follow each other everywhere and while Georgie is bigger than his mom now he still meows the whole time she is out of his sight. Georgie is a super big cuddly baby. He actually nursed on his mom way longer than I think most kittens do
Thank you again for all of the help you all gave me!

Here is a photo of Georgie today, and Georgie and Mittens both visiting with their neighbor cat friend. Lol