Kitten won't take bottle or syringe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now the kitty who would not poop won't eat.  His nose is stopped up from a URI and he won't take the bottle.  Shoot.  He was my champion eater.   This stuff is exhausting.  I"ve gotten 4 hours of sleep each night for a week.  You guys that do this all the time are amazing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Now the kitty who would not poop won't eat.  His nose is stopped up from a URI and he won't take the bottle.  Shoot.  He was my champion eater.   This stuff is exhausting.  I"ve gotten 4 hours of sleep each night for a week.  You guys that do this all the time are amazing.
With uri they often lose appetite, depending among others, they dont feel the tasty smells.   With little older the standard advice is to give them smelly fodds, or even heat it up a little, so it does smells stronger...

With an uri?  I suppose you msut forcefeed, with a syringe... You know the procedure?   You must take it extra slowly, becuse with stuffed nose its more difficult to breath and eat at the same time.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:   original sick kitten and constipated kitten are doing wonderfully.  They are eating well, going potty, walking all over the place and beginning to play.  I am going to start the process of introducing solid food this week.  The healthiest kitten suddenly got sick and after many vet visits and long nights, died.  I was so surprised since he was the healthiest, but I am pleased at how well the other two have done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry that the healthiest one became sick and died. My condolences. But I am pleased as punch to hear that formerly sick kitten and constipated kitten are both doing so well! Post pictures of the duo when you can! All of your efforts and sleepless nights have thus far paid off! Love this update! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So precious! Are you planning names for them and keeping them? :)

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, if hubby will allow, we will.  We have 3 cats currently, so we'll see. I have 4 kiddos, and they, of course want them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww. I hope you get to keep them since you've raised them! Your kids will enjoy them for years. :)

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update-- kittens are doing well.  Biggest is 1.5 pounds and littlest is 1 pound.  I am trying to switch them to canned cat food, but they refuse to even try.  Any hints or tips on weaning them to kitten food rather than a bottle?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are they now?

Pour kitten formula over kitten chow and serve mushy. Mix Fancy Feast kitten wet food with formula to make a mush. Or try Gerber turkey or chicken baby food. Let them lick it from your finger, then show them the bowl.

Pictures?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cuties!

They are SO able to eat on their own!

Plenty old enough.

I just fully weaned 4 week old kits, in one day. I had to in their case. I was in the middle of moving and my friend was worried that her kittens were starting to cry alot. I went and checked and sure enough, their surrogate momma was nearly dry.

Sometimes it takes them getting good and hungry, I don't mean starved, but rather than give in when they whine and act like they don't know what to do, offer it to them when they are ready for feeding, gently push their faces into the mix so some will get on their mouths.

You should see at least one start sniffing around and go for it. Usually they will lick the rim of the dish.

Don't give in easily to giving them a bottle.

They will ALWAYS prefer it, which makes weaning them successfully a much longer process.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are 5 weeks, give or take a day.   I have about 5 days of formula left, so I will redouble the effort to wean.  They are taking 25-30 ml at a feeding, so I know they are ready to eat real food, just not interested.  Thanks for the input, I'll update soon.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Change of plans-- I have less than 2 days of formula.  Need them to wean asap.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you find you must buy formula again, it will not go to waste. I use it to pour over kitten chow to soften it, and I mix it and put bowls of it down for the kittens to drink. You can also combine bottle feeding with solid food for a while as well, if you wish. Most kittens are completely eating and drinking (from a dish) on their own between 6 and 8 weeks old. I have four kittens right now, and two began eating quite nicely a full week before the other two, who were smaller. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Change of plans-- I have less than 2 days of formula.  Need them to wean asap.
You may also  go in for goat milk.  What is left from goat milk you can use it yourself, in coffe for example - as not all humans likes to drink goat milk...

Use full fat goat milk, its as good as most kmr.

RAW goat milk is even better, if you can get it.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update-- the black kitty weaned to canned mixed with formula.  Won't drink water yet, but is getting enough liquid that I am not worried.  Gray kitty refused to wean until I got some 2nd step KMR.  She liked it well enough that she will drink it from a saucer.  Down side is that it has given her diarrhea.  I'll give it another 24 hours to see if her digestive system adjusts. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Progress! :)

Her system will adjust.

Have you named the kittens yet? :)

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No names.  We will be rehoming, so I just call them black and gray.