Kitten With Swimmers Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, east coast. I'm on the west coast of the state. :)
Oh nice! My friend who is getting the boy twin will be returning to St. Pete :D

Also we decided that next week we will begin bracing. Probably Monday. Since we will be busy moving/unpacking over the weekend.
Still trying to figure out the best method for us. Tongue depressors, finger braces, plastic cutlery, etc. So many options ugh.
I'm just worried I'll place it wrong or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wish you could brace for a couple hours a day before next week.

Again, I recommend sports tape and popsicle sticks cut to fit. You may want to re-read my earlier posts about what to do.

I'm in St. Pete!

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish you could brace for a couple hours a day before next week.

Again, I recommend sports tape and popsicle sticks cut to fit. You may want to re-read my earlier posts about what to do.

I'm in St. Pete!
I'll talk to my SO, maybe we can. I'm just not really sure how crazy it'll be the next few days. I want to start as early as possible, but also don't want to overwhelm him (kitten and SO) since we will be moving and such.

I think we will try your method first, and if for some reason I'm stupid and can't get it right I might try the finger braces, just since those seem easier to keep myself from messing up with. I already made his feet swell with the VetWrap, so I am trying to not harm him anymore by doing something the wrong way. I'll re-read your earlier posts, of course, when we get around to bracing :) There's just so many methods!

With how much progress he's made, I definitely think he is ready to be braced, and I am excited to get it started.

And that is really ironic! We visited the area not too long ago. It's definitely beautiful. We went to the Fort De Soto park and it was awesome, saw a lot of dolphins! I wish Titusville had cool areas like that.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update time:

So we got all moved in on Friday.
Legs and our big male cat didn't have a good time during that 3 hour car ride across the state. Legs was panting for a bit, and our other cat had a wet nose and was shaking some. They're pretty much acclimated to the new household now, though! So that's good :)

Pretty sure Legs is constipated, though. He's had a few tiny, marble sized poops throughout the past two days, but he is reallllllllly bloated. I am not sure what to do to help. We have been giving him warm baths and some bum stimulation with a q-tip. He has access to fresh,clean, water constantly and he is still eating and drinking. I just looked up vet prices in the area, so I am thinking of possibly taking him to the SPCA vet for a check-up and wellness exam within the week.

We've done a little bit of physiotherapy, but now much since our apartment has been a disaster and we are really exhausted from moving. Today is the first day in the past two days we've had time to even breathe, so we will continue it again today. Tomorrow we are going to get the stuff for the braces, though, so it'll be awesome to finally start with that!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Add drops of olive oil to his wet food to help soften his poops.

You can also buy glycerin suppositories, shave off a tiny sliver, and insert it. This is safer and more effective than using a cotton swab.

Does Legs try to walk, or is he still pulling himself around?

Good you are getting settled! Moving is hard work!

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Add drops of olive oil to his wet food to help soften his poops.

You can also buy glycerin suppositories, shave off a tiny sliver, and insert it. This is safer and more effective than using a cotton swab.

Does Legs try to walk, or is he still pulling himself around?

Good you are getting settled! Moving is hard work!
We've been giving him kitten dry food, should we get wet food, or add water to the dry food and the oil?

And the glycerin suppositories go in his bum??? Oh man, this will be interesting. We weren't putting the cotton swab in his bum, just rubbing around it.

He isn't trying. His legs twitch a lot more now, and wiggle, but he still isn't really trying to stand on them :/

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he needs wet food. This may be part of the reason why he is constipated.

It sounds like his legs are ready for more stimulation, and for bracing a couple hours a day for walking.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he needs wet food. This may be part of the reason why he is constipated.

It sounds like his legs are ready for more stimulation, and for bracing a couple hours a day for walking.
We got the popsicle sticks, so we are going to attempt to brace him tonight. Also got some pumpkin puree to try and help with the constipation.
I'll post pictures once we have the braces on. How long should I keep them on? Like 2-4 hours?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to warm his legs up first. You need to cut them to size so they give support, but do not impede the joints from bending.

Did you get sports tape?

I would only do 1-2 hours to start. See how he does first.

Did you get wet food?

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to warm his legs up first. You need to cut them to size so they give support, but do not impede the joints from bending.

Did you get sports tape?

I would only do 1-2 hours to start. See how he does first.

Did you get wet food?
Yeah we will warm them up.

The sticks don't cover the stifle, right?

We didn't get the sports tape just cause we have vet wrap and the medical tape already. What would be the difference in using sports tape? I know you've suggested it every time, but I am just curious! If we need it we will get it, I'm just not sure if it'll make a difference since the vet wrap won't stick to the skin and is breathable. Plus, wherever I've been reading about bracing, it's suggested all 3. I just want to be clear about the differences and benefits of using each one in whatever situation. :)

Also I got caught up in hunting for popsicle sticks and forgot to get the wet cat food, so we just won't give him anymore dry food tonight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sports tape sounds the same as the vet wrap - breathable, does not stick to the fur, can be reused.

Please do not deny the kitten dry food if that is all you have.

Let us know when you've made some progress here.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sports tape sounds the same as the vet wrap - breathable, does not stick to the fur, can be reused.

Please do not deny the kitten dry food if that is all you have.

Let us know when you've made some progress here.
We are currently at the vet, and he's getting a fecal exam, for his constipation.
We are going to ask them to show us how to brace him, and check out his hip.

Once we leave we are going to get wet food :)

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not so good news.

Vet says his abdomen is abnormal and what we were feeling were his organs. They're taking him for an x-ray and depending on what they find will depend on what we do with him.

If it's not fixable, or will cost thousands of dollars we will have to either surrender him or put him down -- both basically lead to his death.

This. Sucks.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! What did the vet say?
He had FIP and it was fluid that was built up in his abdomen. There was nothing we couldve done so we let him go.

The worst part is we didn't get to say goodbye and the last moments of his life he was alone, in fear, and in pain as they tried to x-ray him.

Spent $500 just to kill my baby. I am devastated. We were completely blind sided by this.

Thank you for all the time and energy, and advice you've given me through this journey. I am glad we were able to make progress with his Swimmers Syndrome.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been following this thread and was hoping to eventually see that little Legs was running around like a normal kitten. So sorry to see this unexpected news. RIP sweet boy. :angel3:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh that's so unexpected. I'm sorry. :grouphug: We close threads after a loss as a sign of respect. Please consider starting a memorial thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum for him. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.