Kitten With Swimmers Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My name is Caroline, I am 21 years old, and I live in North/Central FL.

My story:
A stray queen in my apartment complex gave birth to a litter of four precious babies about a month ago, or so. Sadly, one of them was born with Swimmers Legs. That means that her back legs are splayed out all funny, so she can’t walk properly and has to scoot around everywhere.

** Two of the kittens are male, and two are female. The orange kitten, and Legs (the one with the disorder) are both genetically bob-tailed, just like their diluted tortoiseshell mother!
They are literally the sweetest things, and have been great regarding socialization with humans and other cats. **

I am wondering if there is any advice on there about fixing her problem, if fixable?
We took her to the vet recently, and was basically told that what she had was Swimmers Syndrome and there was nothing we could do. I think that's crap, considering there is a lot online about doing physiotherapy and taping the legs under her to help her work the muscles so that eventually they will be strong enough to hold her up and be used properly. Honestly, that vet visit was rushed and just a mess, like the vet literally looked at her for maybe 20 seconds before giving us that diagnosis.

Anyway, we are moving across the state in two weeks, and are taking Legs with us. We found a rescue that will take her other siblings. They're seriously great and hopefully can find their forever homes. Since Legs has her disability, we believe her euthanasia rate is high and just don't want to risk it. Once we move, I will be a stay-at-home student and will have all the time in the world to work on rehabilitating Legs.

My concern is proper techniques and her age. She is currently about 4-5 weeks old, so I don't want to take her away from her mother just yet, but I am worried that if I wait till we move to start on her legs, then it may be too late.
Although, I did see a video about a cat named Scooter or something where they tried fixing his legs at a MUCH older age, he just had some other underlying conditions and nerve damage so it didn't work out, I guess. But it gives me hope that even if I wait a little longer it won't be too late!

~ These pictures are about 10 days old, so they're a bit bigger now ~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you absolutely can do physical therapy with her! It will involve a lot of massage. The article above is quite helpful.

What will happen to mom when you move?

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you absolutely can do physical therapy with her! It will involve a lot of massage. The article above is quite helpful.

What will happen to mom when you move?
We are currently trying to TNR her.
So far, the kittens have been sleeping in the trap (we were trying to get the mom used to the trap by putting food in and not letting it close). Now, we have an extra cat carrier that they sleep in and we are trying again to trap her. If we aren't able to before we go, I am really not sure. Our roommates will be here for another month, but I doubt they are going to do anything :/ Thinking about contacting our neighbors, since she actually gave birth in their lawn first (she moved 3/4 of them to our yard...don't know if it was cause she was trying to abandon Legs or something).
After reading the article provided, I am unsure of the methods for taping and the massaging/physiotherapy. Do ya'll know of any other articles, videos, etc. that may have this more in detail?

I really appreciate all the help so far!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We had there a couple of cases with swimmer legs, and also the more common twisted legs. And yes, physiotheraphy is fully possible.
Also, its good to begin as early as you can, ie NOW.

Get home an IR-warming lamp. Because its wise the legs and tendons are warm before you begin with streching applications and such. Even if Florida is naturally warm.

So, make sure the limbs are warm, and the cat if possible cozy and relaxed. With IR-lamp and or massage light. Proceed with more advanced massage, and beginning to strech them into positions...
At least twice a day, but preferably more often.

And re the momma: the time begins to run for you. Go on with the trapping and spay. The self convalescense wont take as long time as for most home girls - the homeless tend to be made of tough wood - otherwise they would perish early, no? If you take her now soon, you will have the pleasure to see her in action before you move. Either TNR:ed or in some no kill shelter.

I agree with your plan; the 3 healthy siblings shouldnt have no difficulties to find new homes and become adopted out. Any decent shelter will happily do it. While the Swimmer one would be almost surely pts if admitted to an average shelter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pessimisticat Pessimisticat

I suggest you get started on the legs now though. The earlier the better.

Here is a layman's illustrated, how-to article:

Contracted Tendons of the Front Legs: Twister's Story

Use sports tape. The same principle works on front or back legs.

This happens when a kitten is squeezed in utero.

While young, the tendons and muscles are very malleable. Always massage them first to warm them up before adjusting and taping them.

I hope you can trap and TNR mama before you go, or she will be having another litter soon.

Are the kittens living outside?

Thanks for helping this cat family! :)

ETA: Your orange kitty is a male, unless it has an orange mom AND an orange dad.

Last edited:

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had there a couple of cases with swimmer legs, and also the more common twisted legs. And yes, physiotheraphy is fully possible.
Also, its good to begin as early as you can, ie NOW.

Get home an IR-warming lamp. Because its wise the legs and tendons are warm before you begin with streching applications and such. Even if Florida is naturally warm.

So, make sure the limbs are warm, and the cat if possible cozy and relaxed. With IR-lamp and or massage light. Proceed with more advanced massage, and beginning to strech them into positions...
At least twice a day, but preferably more often.

And re the momma: the time begins to run for you. Go on with the trapping and spay. The self convalescense wont take as long time as for most home girls - the homeless tend to be made of tough wood - otherwise they would perish early, no? If you take her now soon, you will have the pleasure to see her in action before you move. Either TNR:ed or in some no kill shelter.

I agree with your plan; the 3 healthy siblings shouldnt have no difficulties to find new homes and become adopted out. Any decent shelter will happily do it. While the Swimmer one would be almost surely pts if admitted to an average shelter.

Thank you, we will definitely purchase a warming lamp and get to work on her legs!

We actually brought them inside today/tonight to try trapping the queen. Since the kittens keep sleeping in the trap, it has been a really tough time trapping her. So now, hopefully, we will be able to! I just hope she isn't freaking out too much since her babies aren't outside D: it makes me feel so bad.

Do you have any advice on how to go about massaging the legs? I just don't want to cause any damage if I go about it in a bad technique or something.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pessimisticat Pessimisticat

I suggest you get started on the legs now though. The earlier the better.

Here is a layman's illustrated, how-to article:

Contracted Tendons of the Front Legs: Twister's Story

Use sports tape. The same principle works on front or back legs.

This happens when a kitten is squeezed in utero.

While young, the tendons and muscles are very malleable. Always massage them first to warm them up before adjusting and taping them.

I hope you can trap and TNR mama before you go, or she will be having another litter soon.

Are the kittens living outside?

Thanks for helping this cat family! :)

ETA: Your orange kitty is a male, unless it has an orange mom AND an orange dad.
Orange kitten is definitely a male :) he has little nutter butters. The bigger of the gray twins is a male, too. So, there is two males and two females~

I actually printed out an article from this same site awhile ago, that talked about using a brace and massaging on the legs. Through your link, I found another article with a more similar condition to Leg's, with the hind legs being splayed out.

We brought the babies inside today to try and trap the mom, and keep them out of the trap. Hopefully it works!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope you get mama kitty soon!

Let us know how it goes with the legs! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A big advantage with IR heating lamps, is the Infra-red heat vaves goes deeper under the skin the usual heat as from a heating pad. And thus, its easier to warm up the tendons etc.

As preparatory to the more specific gymnastics, I think its enough for a beginning, to just exercise the tendons and joints some, so they wont get rigid and immovable... Use calm, easy, soft movements, it shall not hurt nor nothing such. Later on, when you get more knowledge reading on it and finding instruction films, and getting a knowledge how to do it by doing it, you can become a bit more decisive, more bold.
Doctors of chiropractising, the naprapates, they arent beating the bushes. Once the backside is warm, They are quite decisive in their movements, but they know exactly what they are doing and how to do it.
We amateurs must take it much much more piano and much more softly... :)

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you get mama kitty soon!

Let us know how it goes with the legs! :)
She didn't go in last night, we are thinking its cause the sprinklers were on and my SO was kind of dumb and put the trap more in the open -- where it would get wet by the sprinkler and in the rain. Tonight we will try again, and bring the kittens in again overnight. If she isn't trapped tomorrow, we have to wait till Sunday to try again since Operation Catnip is only open to take ferals on M/T/W.
We are also beginning Legs' physiotherapy in about an hour or so, and will be taping her legs!

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A big advantage with IR heating lamps, is the Infra-red heat vaves goes deeper under the skin the usual heat as from a heating pad. And thus, its easier to warm up the tendons etc.

As preparatory to the more specific gymnastics, I think its enough for a beginning, to just exercise the tendons and joints some, so they wont get rigid and immovable... Use calm, easy, soft movements, it shall not hurt nor nothing such. Later on, when you get more knowledge reading on it and finding instruction films, and getting a knowledge how to do it by doing it, you can become a bit more decisive, more bold.
Doctors of chiropractising, the naprapates, they arent beating the bushes. Once the backside is warm, They are quite decisive in their movements, but they know exactly what they are doing and how to do it.
We amateurs must take it much much more piano and much more softly... :)
Since we are moving in a week, and pretty short on money, we decided to heat the legs by keeping her in a warm bath for about 10-20 minutes, and hopefully that'll soften the tendons and such to a more pliable condition.
Haha, I wish I was more informed on how to go about the physiotherapy. There really doesn't seem to be much instructional video or image on how to do it! I found one article that explains it by using the scientific names of the muscles and stuff, but ugh wow, that is a little over my head. I will try to find more videos, maybe some on puppies or cattle since apparently they can be affected by this, too!

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So mom has access to her kittens during the day?
Yep, we put them back outside this morning and she was all over them :) We will probably keep bringing them in overnight, just cause there are owls in my neighbourhood and that would be a horrible way for them to go.
We might keep Legs inside permanently, I still can't decide if I want to or not, just cause we are going to tape-bind her legs and I'm not sure if having her out and about and getting leaves and moisture on the tape could lead to an infection or something.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also made a Facebook Page to document her story, if any of you are interested.
I am probably going to make a YouTube vlog as well, to help people visualize the physiotherapy and tape-binding.

Here is the Facebook page if you'd like to be updated on her progress!:
www.facebook.com/sslegs

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to perform heat and massage therapy several times a day. The legs need to be taped and untaped in between.

The massage is just gentle rubbing of the legs and very gentle attempts to bend them into correct position, AFTER they are warmed up each session.

You need to trap mama kitty before you move!

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to perform heat and massage therapy several times a day. The legs need to be taped and untaped in between.

The massage is just gentle rubbing of the legs and very gentle attempts to bend them into correct position, AFTER they are warmed up each session.

You need to trap mama kitty before you move!
We just started our first physiotherapy session with a warm 10-15 minute bath. Waiting for her to dry a bit before we start binding her legs.
My current plan is: have her outside during the day with her siblings and mom. Bring her in maybe around 5-6 and begin the first physiotherapy session. Tape her up once she's dry. Bring the siblings in once it gets dark. Do her physiotherapy and taping 2+ more times throughout the night, maybe every two hours till we go to bed. Let the kittens stay over night. In the morning, put them back out. Rinse and repeat.

I made a live video and posted it on her FB page of the first physiotherapy session. We had her in the warm water, then took her out and performed some stretching and massage for about 10 minutes. Might try to go a bit longer the next time, but she was getting extra wiggly. She's almost dry now, then we will tape her. I am thinking of getting a hairdryer or heat pad, so that after the first physiotherapy session (with the water) we won't have to continue re-taping her, and can just replace it once or twice a day.

We are definitely trying to trap the mom before we go, but since the trapping place only accepts the ferals M/T/W we can only do it the night before those specific days. We definitely don't want to keep her in a trap for a whole week.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so we attempted to tape her legs...but they still keep sliding underneath her. Not really sure what to do in this case?
Maybe our taping method is wrong...

Any suggestions?
Here's a picture post-tape!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a process!

First, what kind of tape is that? You need to use sports tape, which I mentioned in my Post #7. Sports tape is available in the first aid aisle of stores. Sports tape is what you see on the legs of the kitten, "Twister," in the link I provided.

Second, you cannot tape her legs in place until you have worked her tendons for a few days to get them malleable.

Then, her legs need to be BRACED with splints and taped. You can use popsicle sticks as braces. You cut the popsicle stick to fit the leg below the joint. The kitten needs to be able to bend the leg.

Third, the whole thing needs to come off at night so the kitten gets a break. It's too much all at once.

I would caution you NOT to use a hairdryer as they get very hot very fast.

You may also want to hold off on making your video until you get used to what you are doing and can show some progress.

Be aware that the kitten will still not be able to use the legs normally right away, as this is a process that will take several weeks, and must be done daily while the kitten grows so that the tendons grow properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.