Kitten With Swimmers Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not give the kitten to the man to be a barn cat. That is not a good life.

I hope you are warming and massaging and doing the bicycle exercises 2-3 times s day. The legs cannot wait.

It's time to begin using the splints and sports tape this weekend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not give the kitten to the man to be a barn cat. That is not a good life.

I hope you are warming and massaging and doing the bicycle exercises 2-3 times s day. The legs cannot wait.

It's time to begin using the splints and sports tape this weekend.
So far we have done it 2 times the past two days. Warming in the bath and bicycle exercised, with some leg flexing and stretching. Today we are going to do 3 times. Just did the first session :)
And yay! That sounds great. We will go get some materials for the braces and such tomorrow, since I'll be getting paid then.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great news, we found out what happened to the orange kitten.

Right when we were about done putting up posters, someone called to tell us that their roommates/family members or something had picked him up yesterday. They took him to the vet and have decided to keep him. :)

We are so relieved -- but I am definitely not letting my eyes off of them anymore. My friend who was interested in getting the orange one came to help us find him. Now we are trying to see if they want to take one of the gray ones.

More good news, Legs kind of stood up a bit, today. It was short and for a moment, but we saw it! That is the first time I have ever seen him push off his legs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had a feeling someone picked up the kitten. It's great they saw your posters and let you know, and even better that he has a good home now. :)

I am excited for Legs! You can see that he has the chance to become normal if you keep this up. I'm looking forward to more good reports.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a feeling someone picked up the kitten. It's great they saw your posters and let you know, and even better that he has a good home now. :)

I am excited for Legs! You can see that he has the chance to become normal if you keep this up. I'm looking forward to more good reports.
Yeah, me too, it made the most sense to me based on the weather and situation that someone grabbed him.

I am definitely going to keep it up! I have faith he can be healed and supported enough to walk. While putting signs up I ran into a neighbor who told me they have a cat who was born with contracted tendons on his front legs and that they fixed it with popsicle sticks! It was really uplifting to hear that. It's such a common thing, and so sad there isn't that much information about it online, especially for cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There you go - just like I said, popsicle sticks and sports tape after warming and stretching. I do wish there was more information about it available.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here is a quick video of tonight's therapy session!

My SO was moving his right leg, and the left leg was kicking. Then, when he stopped, Legs was doing some bicycle motions himself! This happened a few times, some a little better than the one I was able to record. Seems like he likes the heating pad physiotherapy over the warm bath physiotherapy :p

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very good!

Will you be taping and splinting the legs now?
Not yet.
I e-mailed/donated towards the PandECats/ShowCatsOnline people, the ones who have supplied the articles and most of the information regarding Swimmers Syndrome in kittens. They got back to me, and we talked about where Legs is at, his progress and such, and where we need to focus more, as well as some information regarding techniques. I sent them some videos and pictures.
They don't want me splinting him just yet, since his back legs are still too weak. They want me to incorporate more swimming therapy and have him constantly on a non-slippery surface. We are going to buy VetWrap and probably some rug or carpet or something he can use that we can clean. The VetWrap would be used to hobble the bottom of his feet together, as to prevent splaying.
Here is an excerpt of the e-mail they got back to me with:
Fill your bathtub with warm water to just over his head. Put him in the water, supporting him under his belly and encourage him to swim. Especially watch to see if he moves his back legs independently…. That’s what you want to see.

On dry land, you can continue the bicycle motions – especially if you feel him resisting it – because resistance means he is using his muscles. You can also try bouncing him on his hind legs (like you bounce a baby on your knee) to see if he will try to push with his back legs as he “lands”.

Once you see some strength in the hind legs you can take a long sock (or anything similar) and holding one end, pass it under his belly and out the other side. Holding the ends above his back, you can support his hind weight while he walks with his front legs and hopefully starts to move his hind legs too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. Just don't wait too long. He needs to start using his legs soon, as he is not a tiny kitten anymore. The more he uses them, the stronger they will get.

The heat, massage, and exercises were to stretch his tendons so he CAN use his legs. The splints taped on are to support him using his legs in the proper position. :)

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. Just don't wait too long. He needs to start using his legs soon, as he is not a tiny kitten anymore. The more he uses them, the stronger they will get.

The heat, massage, and exercises were to stretch his tendons so he CAN use his legs. The splints taped on are to support him using his legs in the proper position. :)
We received our VetWrap today, and will be setting up a hobble for his legs and connecting it to the front of his body to prevent splaying :) We will also be wrapping his hip to keep it from popping or whatever it is that it does. So he will finally be bound!

Also, good news! Finally some progress we can see.
When feeding him last night he was standing up a bit on his left leg! His right leg was still wonky, but there is definitely progress. While massaging, we've noticed his legs don't feel gooey and jiggly, but more firm and just bigger in general. They also don't float as much in water anymore.

Some sadder news, we took the Girl Twin kitten to a rescue today. She was the only one we weren't able to find a home for. :/ It was pretty sad. Thankfully, while I was being emotional and sobbing for 30 minutes during our goodbyes, these two girls came in looking to foster kittens. My SO was holding her, and the lady at the rescue suggested they take her as well as some other kittens. Seems they agreed. I am glad she won't be spending the night alone, and has a home to be in, and other kittens to be around. I still feel really heartbroken and guilty.

And a quick question, more vet related. While we were at the rescue, the lady told us she was going to give the Girl Twin CapStar to kill her fleas. We bought this for our adults cats to use on them right before we move and then Advantage II for a preventative. We were wondering if it would be safe to use on Legs? He is bigger than his sisters, and is actually the biggest out of all of his siblings. I'm just not sure if it would be safe to use because of his condition.

Anyway, here are the pictures of him standing:
In the first two, you can see him using his left leg, but not the right one. In the last two, you can see him kind of cheating and using my leg for a bit of balance ;)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The capstar should be fine. It sounds like the female kitten will be okay too!

Legs is sure trying to use his legs! :)

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The capstar should be fine. It sounds like the female kitten will be okay too!

Legs is sure trying to use his legs! :)
Alright, awesome! I've never used it before so I am a little wary. It has pretty good reviews online, though!

His legs are currently hobbled, and I am going step-by-step with the article people on how to properly do the techniques and all of that. I really don't want to mess it up and end up doing permanent damage to him or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can I see a picture of his legs hobbled? I'd like to see what's going on.

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure, I'll add some pictures.

His wraps tightened at some point tonight. We went out to eat dinner and when we came back his feet were swollen. They hadn't been all day so I think that he might've somehow tightened it. They're off of him now, and we won't wrap him tonight to make sure the swelling goes down. I think he also might be developing a prolapsed anus. During water therapy he was pooping, as usual. Since the tub had gotten dirty, my SO moved him to the sink where he continued to poop. There was blood in his stool, and his anus was red and swollen. I guess the poops were solid and weren't diarrhea. After 10 minutes his bum went back to normal, but I am still concerned. We might take him to the vet tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pessimisticat Pessimisticat

Yikes! His feet should not be swelling! I do not like the looks of tying his feet together. :(

Instead of what you are doing, I think you should splint and wrap each leg for a couple hours a day, as I explained earlier, and let him try walking. This will support and strengthen his legs.

The system I explained to you has worked for many kittens.

The wraps should never stay on him for more than a couple hours at a time.

He needs to see a vet anyway. He may need an antibiotic. Was he having diarrhea?

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pessimisticat Pessimisticat

Yikes! His feet should not be swelling! I do not like the looks of tying his feet together. :(

Instead of what you are doing, I think you should splint and wrap each leg for a couple hours a day, as I explained earlier, and let him try walking. This will support and strengthen his legs.

The system I explained to you has worked for many kittens.

The wraps should never stay on him for more than a couple hours at a time.

He needs to see a vet anyway. He may need an antibiotic. Was he having diarrhea?
Alright, once we move tomorrow we can buy some stuff and begin focusing on bracing. It's been a very hectic week, financial wise. D: My mom sent me $100 this morning to help, so that was definitely awesome.

His bum went back to normal in 10 minutes after the initial swelling, and he's pooped multiple times today without it swelling like that. Not sure what happened. ._. We are going to keep an eye on it. He wasn't having diarrhea, his stools were pretty solid. It only happened once my SO took him to the sink, and hasn't happened since. My guess is that because of the way he was holding him, with added pressure on his abdomen, it was causing him to strain and therefore gave him a sore, puffy, bum.

Once we move and my SO starts his job I am planning on taking him to the vet to get an x-ray, his vaccinations, testing, and scheduling a neutering appointment. Since he is going to the bathroom willy nilly I want to know if he has bladder control, and I am still a bit worried about his right hip.

We haven't taped him since we took it off, cause I am worried about his feet swelling again and since tomorrow is our move we are really busy packing up and dismantling furniture. I don't want to not keep an eye on it and it happens again. The swelling went away, and his feet are normal now, thankfully. It was definitely scary.

Good-ish news.
Yesterday we were having him stand, with a sock acting as a sling. He was able to stand on his own for maybe 10-20 seconds at a time. His right leg is definitely more problematic, so we've been working on flexing the toes and moving the foot more inwards since it kind of points out. My SO has noticed he's gotten really strong with his kicking, and there is definitely more movement in his legs during times when we aren't doing physiotherapy and when we are, like twitching and repeating the motions when we've stopped. We are thinking it is about time to start bracing him too since his legs are definitely getting strong enough, and they really need to be under him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good to hear.

What's going on with the other kittens and mom cat?

Pessimisticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is good to hear.

What's going on with the other kittens and mom cat?
Two have permanent homes, the orange one and the male kitten.

We weren't able to trap the mom, even with cans of stinky tuna and cat food she wouldn't go in, and stopped coming around our area once we took the kittens inside permanently. We suggested TNR to our apartment complex, so I am hoping they will :/ Its a big bummer we weren't able to get her. I really don't want her having more kittens, ughhhhhh. The girl twin we brought to a rescue, and she was immediately picked by some girls looking to foster. We are holding the boy twin till the first week of July, when my friend who wants him will be in FL to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.