Kitten still hissing and terrified after over a month

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catl1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it seems like an eternity but 3 months is a very very short time, especially for a scaredy cat- it can take 8 mos,a year or longer for a cat to acclimate and settle in

Boogie lying on your bed ,on your scent is affection- he's familiarizing himself with you through your scents so it isn't that he's not affectionate ,he's cautious,he's apprehensive and simply moving at his own pace- give it time my friend.

The best thing you could have done was adopting Yoda- Boogie will continue to ' copycat' and gain confidence as he tests the waters and sees he's not going to come to any harm- it's self preservation instincts,he will come around...... keep doing the great job loving them and all will be well in time❤
Thank you! Its a relief to know 3 months is still a short time. I will continue to let him approach us on his own terms. I am leaving one of my t-shirts on the couch at night and I always find him next morning sleeping on it. It makes sense that he is trying to be close to us and cautious at the same time.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Its a relief to know 3 months is still a short time. I will continue to let him approach us on his own terms. I am leaving one of my t-shirts on the couch at night and I always find him next morning sleeping on it. It makes sense that he is trying to be close to us and cautious at the same time.
Glad to be of help,rest at ease my friend
Yes,this is how cats communicate and get to know one another-they leave their scent on their territory-other cats smell around and become familiar with those scents and in time those familiar scents can be a comfort to them and their are other scents they leave that say" private property /no trespass :" as well,like marking with urine....the scents are different on different parts of the body too - they have scent glands on their heads and even the paws

Ever see your cats rubbing their little faces on tye side of a chair or dresser? They are feeling good and leaving their own scent to remind them also thst is a good spot where they've been before and it feels good,safe ,it's home

Sort of like a whole little form of communication going on all around you and guess what? You're included!!👍

Catl1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news! Photos please! :camera: :camera: :camera:
Here are some pics of them! Yoda deciding my arm now belongs to him, Boogie doing some yoga on his newly found favourite spot : the couch! And both of them sleeping together like the true best friends they are 💖

Attachments

Catl1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Here are some updates:
- Boogie is still very jumpy but will tolerate cuddles when he has just woken up. Any other time, he runs away.
- I bought a back scratcher because I read people used it with cats who were not used to touch and he actually really enjoys it!
- Even though he is still skittish and doesnt want cuddles, he actually seeks our company now and sleeps on our bed every night.
- Yoda is still the loveliest, kindest cat ever. He takes care of Boogie like he is his mum!

That’s about it!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello!
Here are some updates:
- Boogie is still very jumpy but will tolerate cuddles when he has just woken up. Any other time, he runs away.
- I bought a back scratcher because I read people used it with cats who were not used to touch and he actually really enjoys it!
- Even though he is still skittish and doesnt want cuddles, he actually seeks our company now and sleeps on our bed every night.
- Yoda is still the loveliest, kindest cat ever. He takes care of Boogie like he is his mum!
Yea, wonderful to hear this. Great that Boogie enjoys the back scratcher and also tolerates some cuddles an d enjoying your company and sleeping on the bed. This is great progress and Yoda is also helping out too by taking care of Boogie. They look great!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The photos are fantastic,they are so adorable

Wonderful update,it's great to hear Boogie has come so far,much progress- Yoda is so helpful,little darling- it's great they are doing so well together

Catl1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
Another update, probably my last one, and a very exciting and happy one!!
About a month ago, Boogie started becoming bolder and learned he loved to sit on our lap while we were watching TV. The first time he actually jumped on my lap I was so shocked I tried so hard not to move at all in case I scared him! He continued to do this every evening and I noticed while he did it he would stare at me, as if he actually enjoyed the attention I gave him. Who would have thought my little scaredy cat would actually love being a lap cat!
After some days, I started petting him and even though he flinched at first, he always ended up purring and falling asleep.
Now he always sits on our lap and even paws at me if anything is blocking his newly found favorite spot!
I would have never imagined this story would have had such a happy ending. Thank you so much for all the help!

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
About a month ago, Boogie started becoming bolder and learned he loved to sit on our lap while we were watching TV. The first time he actually jumped on my lap I was so shocked I tried so hard not to move at all in case I scared him! He continued to do this every evening and I noticed while he did it he would stare at me, as if he actually enjoyed the attention I gave him. Who would have thought my little scaredy cat would actually love being a lap cat!
After some days, I started petting him and even though he flinched at first, he always ended up purring and falling asleep.
Now he always sits on our lap and even paws at me if anything is blocking his newly found favorite spot!
I would have never imagined this story would have had such a happy ending. Thank you so much for all the help!
Ahhhhh- I've been waiting for this,I never doubted this will have a " happily ever after"

Do keep us posted with photos and such,we have to watch Yoda growing too👍🩷

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello all!
5c690171512d2fe4c8e4e634e3438eb9.gif

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
That is wonderful news ❤❤❤ he looks very happy 😻