Kitten Rescued From Wall (video!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a difference a day can make! She was much less wobbly and shaky this morning. She'd also urinated in her litter pan when I got up. She was a little squirmy when I went to bed last night so I put her back in her playpen to sleep. I was afraid she'd crawl out of her cat bed and fall off my bed had she slept with us. When I got up this morning, Atticus, my 3 year old delicious smelling gray tabby, was snuggled up with her in the playpen! Thirteen, my female tuxedo, is still hissy though. Thirteen will even hiss at Atticus if he's with the kitten. I'm wondering if it's because the kitten is female and so is Thirteen. I really hope she comes around. Thirteen is my first cat and she's the ruler of the roost. I hate for her to feel threatened or unhappy in her environment. She's not eating all her food either. She's leaving a few bites on her dish which I try to doctor up with cat treats and give back to her, but she's not having it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, how cute that Atticus was snuggling with the baby! Yeah, I've noticed that female cats get a little ornery with newcomers. Hopefully Thirteen will warm up to her.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you named the kitten yet? It sounds like she is making terrific progress, both in terms of recovering medically from her ordeal, and also adjusting to her new home. She's been with you less than a week and already she's bonded with one of your resident cats. The fact that the other cat is only being a bit jealous and hissing but not actively aggressive or acting out is a great sign. I bet she will accept the kitten in a matter of a few weeks. In my experience, even the toughest and most jealous of fesident cats won't harm a young, helpless, scared kitten. Raising a kitten is kind of like riding a bike, you never really forget how to do it. Have fun and enjoy having a sweet little kitten in your household again :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Not at all weird for your male cat to be all snuggly with the kitten while the lady of the house is still being hissy. Neutered males make the best step parents. Every time I've brought home dumped or orphaned kittens Little Boy is the first one to start grooming and playing with them. Gin Kun used to be the same. Gin was a feral tom for at least 10 years before I found him, so I thought he may have had some experience of raising his own kittens and that was why he was so gentle with them.

LB was neutered at 6 months though. He just has a really strong protective urge towards kittens.

Cats are awesome, aren't they? I don't know why some people still have the idea that they are solitary, aloof creatures.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somebody is jealous of the newcomer!
:yeah: Poor Thirteen. I think you're absolutely right. It's only been two days though. I've been giving Thirteen lots of extra attention. I'm hoping that within a week's time she'll have gotten over her hissiness and that they'll be friends. Thirteen is my first cat and I hate to think of her as being upset. She's a very sweet girl.

The kitten has eaten a lot today--at least a fourth, probably more like a third, of a 2.5 ounce can. Unfortunately, she has been crying a lot too, and that's something that Atticus and Thirteen hardly ever did. This little girl has a real set of lungs on her, and I guess that's a lucky thing for her. Without them, we would have never heard her when she was stuck outside between the walls.

She wants me to hold her all the time! If she sees me, it's over. She cries until I pick her up from her playpen, which of course I do. She's also learned that she can crawl up the netting of the playpen's sides but thank goodness she's still too small to make it to the top.

She has tiny, needle like claws which I've tried to trim. I've just been snipping the very tip off, but they're so small I've had to leave most of them for fear that I'll hurt her. I have scratches all up and down my arms, lol. She likes to bite too, but she has only has a few little teeth. The things is, she will lunge at your face and then bite! I'm not sure how to break her of that habit.

A tech from our fire safety company really wants her, but for all I know he has a pet boa constrictor at home, and I can't bear the thought of her not being taken care of, not after the odds she's beaten. I just don't know him at all and that worries me. The longer I keep her though the harder it's going to be to give her up--if I actually do give her up, that is.

I have his number and told him I'll see where we are in a week.

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you named the kitten yet? :)
No, not yet. I'm awful with names. I actually wanted to name my son Grover because I loved the blue muppet Grover on Sesame Street. I happen to still think Grover is a perfectly acceptable name, but my partner was, to say the least, somewhat aghast at the suggestion years ago.

The two maintenance guys who were absolute heroes and worked like dogs to tear the structure down (with only a hammer and chisel for fear they would hurt the kitten) were Rodney and Omar. I've considered a portmanteau of their names but the best I can come up with is Romar, which is A LOT worse than Grover.

The name of the complex she was found on is called Bella Apartments, so I've considered naming her Bella.

I am open to any and all suggestions!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutered males make the best step parents.
You are absolutely right! Atticus is amazing with her. The only small problem is that the kitten is trying to nurse him, but the most he'll do when she does is just get up. He'll walk away for a while then come right back to her. Then she'll root around and try to suckle again, Atticus's eyes will look like saucers again, and he'll politely get up while meowing a gentlemanly "No thank you" to her and walk away.

:flail:

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are awesome, aren't they? I don't know why some people still have the idea that they are solitary, aloof creatures.
Truer words have never been spoken.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww I hope you decide to keep her. She's already bonded with you and one of your other cats, and it's only been a few days. I think you would miss her way too much if you gave her up. Also, she's found a surrogate parent in your male cat, and at her young age that will help her in her growth and development. You don't want to give her to someone you don't know and who may not give her the TLC you are able to give her. You can suggest to the guy who expressed interest in her that he can go to the Humane Society and adopt a kitten. This would be a win-win situation for all.

I had a kitten once who was very young and he suckled one of my male cats, too. The older car was very patient about it. This behavior will end in time.

I think Bella is a beautiful name for a female cat. If the kitty had been male I would have suggested Wally. As in Wall-y :)

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
"Roma" would be another possibility. What a lucky kitten! Since she's so young and eating small quantities, Baby Cat would also be a suitable food. It's available in cans/pouches and dry.

ETA: My guess would be 4-5 weeks old.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen is female, so diva like and the ruler of her domain. They don't like any changes so it will take a while. She will tolerate the kitten and teach it manners, but most likely will never be great friends, more like a family member that is tolerated. But that is perfectly normal. The kitten will provide her with entertainment and a chance to hone those manner teaching skills, so just give her lots of love and reassurance that she is not losing her place in the family and everything will be fine!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of those names, I like Bella and Roma. Ramona is cute too. Isabella has more cute nicknames like Bella, Isa, Izzy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I like Bella, and I hope you keep her. The guy who wants her can adopt a kitten from a shelter. There are so many in need.

She is still in need of a mama and suckling, so she’s trying to use you and your male cat as surrogates.

Give her a lovey, like a stuffed toy that is bigger than she is to cuddle when she is alone.

You can also dip a corner of a soft cloth in kitten formula and give it to her to suckle on, or a new makeup sponge dipped in formula. Our members have used both. Either one will usually pacify the suckling instinct for periods of time.

It won’t be long before she and your male cat are playing together around the house! :)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let the guy you don't know adopt her, even if you decide not to keep her. Send him to a shelter where the cats are all fixed. You can get her adopted through a rescue group who will make sure she gets fixed first and will have an application and background check. Other wise she might end up outside having unwanted babies. I like Grover too, but It sounds like a boys name.