Kitten Rescued From Wall (video!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen is a mean drunk...jk ;)
You made me laugh so hard! And you're absolutely right! She's like that on catnip too! When I give Atticus and Thirteen their weekly "nip" Thirteen will roll around on her back and then swipe at poor Atticus! You hit the nail on the head: My Thirteen is a mean drunk!

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen is a mean drunk...jk ;)
I'm such a weirdo! I absolutely cannot stop laughing about this! It's cracked me up all day long. Thank you for adding some well needed laughter to my day, Surya!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as an update, we're doing better. Thirteen is certainly not in love with the kitten by any stretch of the imagination, but she's not hissing at her quite as much, and her paw batting is down, for the most part, to a bare minimum.

Atticus and Thirteen sleep on the bed with us at night and aren't prone to roaming around a lot. The kitten is in a playpen next to my bed and she's learned how to crawl up the netting and jump over onto the bed. She usually just snuggles in with Atticus around three or four when she wakes up, but last night she evidently wanted Atticus to play with her and he was having none of that. Atticus is a saint, but you can't mess with his food or his sleep. I heard some distinct cries last night from the kitten after she tried Atticus's patience one too many times. It's funny because Thirteen is like my dad: All he ever had to do was look at you, and you stopped dead in your tracks. Every once in a while I'll see the kitten take off running toward Thirteen like she wants to play with her. Then Thirteen will give her that look and the kitten will practically stop so quickly that she trips over her own feet.

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's got some great surrogate parents there.
I'm hoping so. I'm concerned about Atticus, though. He puts up with a lot from the kitten. She lunges at his face, bites him on the nose, swats at his eyes, etc., and Atticus doesn't do much to defend himself. He'll hold her down to groom her but there's not a lot of discipling going on. She comes after him Kiwabunga Kitten Style, as my partner calls it. She'll rear up on her hind legs and then spread her front paws out to the sides like she's going to give you a big hug . . . and then KIWABUNGA! She lunges at him and bites the heck out him.

On a more positive note, last night I think Thirteen caught a glimpse of would could be if she would allow it. Even though Atticus is younger by about a month, he's lazy as all heck. I have to force Atticus to play with me every day or he would turn into a tub of kitty blubber, even more so than he is now. But Thirteen . . . man, Thirteen is like Jane Fonda on steroids! She's a Run and Play 24/7 kinda girl, and she tries so hard to make Atticus play with her, but at best he's only good for a couple of high speed chases before he's all tuckered out. But last night Thirteen discovered that the kitten has much more endurance than Atticus does and they actually played together for a minute. I saw a light come on in Thirteen's eyes, so I hope she continues to make the connection. The kitten would be a fantastic play pal for her!

Lastly, Thirteen has gone off her hunger strike, at least temporarily. It takes a very complicated admixture of her raw food combined with Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried Duck Duck Goose and Primal's freeze-dried Rabbit Formula sprinkled on top. She also expects at least one of Instinct's Lamb raw toppers on there too. Then and only then she MIGHT deign to eat at least 85% of it.

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Thirteen and the kitten become excellent play pals together soon! :)
You and me both, Sarthur2! They are certainly well suited for it. :)

Also, in your experience with cats and kittens, adult cats don't usually take too much guff from a kitten, do they? I mean, I figured that as an adult male cat weighing over thirteen pounds that Atticus didn't need any help from me, so I've left him and the kitten alone to sort it out. I don't want her to hurt him though or make his life miserable. Should I separate them when she starts to act out with him, or just leave it up to him to let her know when he's had enough?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In general, adult cats don’t usually take much guff from kittens, but Atticus sounds like he has an extremely laid-back and easy-going personality. He also clearly has endless patience and already loves the kitten.

If you think the kitten has crossed a line and is being too aggressive, you can certainly discipline her yourself by hissing or re-directing her to a new activity.

She will grow out of some of this, and if she had siblings she would be rough-housing with them until one screams out, like this:

65F50B79-47C4-4473-A7AE-53FE43992BEC.jpeg

Atticus is a lot bigger and should be able to defend himself though. Keep her nails trimmed! :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
In my experience older male cats make excellent baby-sitters. They do put up with a lot from them, but somehow they teach the kitten boundaries.

Little Boy put up with all kinds of rough housing from Fynn when he was a kitten. Little Boy weighs 20 lbs, Fynn around 6 lbs in this picture.

FynnLB7.jpg

I think they're just very tolerant, but they won't let the kitten really hurt them. Fynn would be given a warning growl if he bit too hard, now that he's grown up he and LB are still best friends.

Keeping her claws trimmed is a great idea. I hope Thirteen starts to see her as a playmate rather than an interloper soon.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Sarthur2 & Norachan!

I am most grateful for your input.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
D6E48894-35A3-4582-A3CA-94261E15BD43.jpeg
6821AF9B-DAB7-42CD-B0E6-AD226F881E04.jpeg
Aren’t kittens just the thing to provide a little variety to that “same old stuff” in a cat family.
We fostered 4 feral kittens a while back and it was kind of like you describe. The introduction of those kittens to our 4 resident cats was like watching a Tasmanian devil cartoon ( look it up if you’re too young to know). Out of the corner of your eye you would see the whirling cloud of kittens descending on the room. Only Henry, the perfect child, would accept being bitten, having his back rode, and other stuff.
I think you have the makings of a great family unit. As they says “having kids will keep you young”.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have any pictures of Bella Roma? I read this whole thread today & unfortunately the videos didn't work.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A small update about Little Bella Roma. She was spayed last week and unlike Thirteen who came home like nothing had happened, Bella Roma was not happy after surgery. I REALLY worried about her the first night because she was clearly in pain. We even put our mattress on the floor so she could get on and off. I called the vet's emergency number around 2:30 am and he told me to give her some of Thirteen's gabapentin which I did. Bella Roma had a long acting injection of buprenorphine when spayed but once the loopiness resolved by around 10:00 pm or so I felt like she was still in considerable pain. The next day she was markedly limited in her movements but by that night she was jumping on the sofa and running up and down her cat tree.

Her biting has really toned down too. She was the "bittiest" kitten I've ever seen but that has somehow morphed into licking. She loves to lick you to death! She's also the most affectionate of my gang. In the middle of the night I'll find her little body on my chest, purring up a storm and head butting me!