Kitten Peeing On The Couch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the scent, that might be a real challenge!
How could I ever spot a scent trace in the house? A blue light might reveal a stain, not a scent trace, that could be anywhere and invisible!

My previous resident cats were Lola and Pallina, till August 2018.
I also had two kittens in August and September same year, who I fostered, and they acted normally.

Then two kittens and an adult cat with problems.

I really don't know how I can get out of this, if the problem is the scent trail of some previous cat.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is this true? proof? I always thought dogs have better sense of smell than cats
Once I read that cats have a better sense of smell than dogs and could trace any missing person much better and quicker than a dog.
The problem with cats is that you can't train them to do that job.

My cat Pallina was a true scent hunter. If there was a tiny trace of any foreign smell in the house I could say "Pallina, search!" and she would find it in no time.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I found an answer on quora that basically says dogs can smell more things because they have more receptors than cats but cats can better tell the differences between smells.
Here the link https://www.quora.com/Do-cats-have-a-better-sense-of-smell-than-dogs

so what I understand, dogs can smell more things because they have more receptors than cats(depends on the breed) but cats can better distinguish between greater variety of smells because they have more variants of the V1R protein. am I misunderstanding this?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I watched a TV b/w documentary where, if I can remember it well, it was said that in the past decades (60's or 70's or earlier) an experiment was conducted in the US by the Army or a similar entity. They had found out that cats could smell trails better than dogs, they were more sensitive or good at telling scents, but during these experiments the scientists never got to have the cats lead them to the object because cats would roam as they liked rather than walking straight to the target. Basically they just did what they liked.

Today, so far, the kitten has peed 7 times vs 10 times yesterday. All pees were in the box.
Let's see tomorrow.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if that was suggested, but maybe your litter box has edges that are to high for her, so she's looking for places more comfortable to use? Also, have you tried different kind of litters to see if maybe she likes the particular kind more than the others?
It's entirely possible that she hasn't had a chance to learn to use the litter box from her mom, I guess she'd be the best with the company of other cats (adults plus kittens to play with, or maybe one young adult) so that they can teach her better than humans.
Good luck, I hope she'll be all right!

ETA: I would actually reconsider adding more litter boxes, I know that you think it could confuse her, but I actually think it will add her some options; maybe she doesn't like to use the litter box that'd has to much of her pee in it?

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The box edges are about 3 inches high, maybe a bit more, not so high that the kitten can walk into.
I'm using always the same litter, vegetable, clumping, very fine, not dusty at all.
I had used a different kind of vegetable clumping litter in the first two days, but it was too coarse.
The box is being scooped not less than 4 times a day.

Before midnight, yesterday, she peed 9 times, all in the box, so no incidents happened yesterday.

Fingers crossed :)