Kitten Peeing On The Couch

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there is no need to plug the difuser in next to the litter box. It covers an entire room. On the difuser box it will say how many square feet it covers. It may do the living room and the hallway. Be aware she may not like it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try this. Get a plastic tarp (sheet) from the hardware store. They are cheap, but get a small one to cover the couch cushion she is drawn to. Unlike the puppy pad and the litter box the pee will puddle and get on her feet. Most cat's don't like that. You can wash her feet afterward, but let her realize the couch is not a good peeing place by itself.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Despite the concern of over-peeing, it seems like she is able to be discouraged by the foil, at which point she uses the litter box. That is a good sign but it is going to take retraining, or new training, from the terrible situation where you rescued her. We had trouble with an abandoned kitten, younger than your girl, who was a huge bitter and scratcher because he had never learned to play nice, not because he was aggressive. He was retrained, but it took time.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello,

The Feliway also comes in a spray. Since she is only going in that one area, the spray would be a good choice because you can spray the area directly. It suggests that in the directions.
I would put a cloth over the area and spray the cloth if there’s a possibility of discoloration. It is definitely worth trying! You would have to keep reapplying it until she gets the hang of things.
I have always kept a bottle on hand for various things and love it.
By the way, she is a doll!

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The spray has a bit of a scent when you first spray it but it quickly dissapates. I’ve never used the plugin.

I spray directly on my couch with no issues. I use it now before we have company to reduce stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow....she pees a LOT!! I am surprised that a vet would consider that normal. Perhaps it is time to consider holistic options such as marshmallow root.
I will try to tell the vet again about this. Yes, I think she pees too much, but I had read that kittens have a weak bladder and a poor control of peeing.
The litter is a clumping one, I scoop not less than 10 clumps a day.

If it is behavioral, it might be that she is stressed from too much isolation. That would explain her trying to recapture her territory when she is allowed to go to the social area. Kittens are born into litters and it is very difficult emotionally to be alone.
Sometimes kittens are only "child" to cat mom, so it is not unusual to be alone. Of course they have a mother anyway, and this kitten lost hers at a very young age, 4 weeks, I reckon.
She lived on her own for about 10 days before I was able to catch her. She suffered a lot, no doubt.

Today she was quiet, she tried the couch twice, but the tin foil discouraged her.
She's very sleepy today, she lays on the tiled floor, I hope it's just the heat, 88°F very humid today.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, going to the litter box so many times in under 3 hours is concerning
Yes, tomorrow I will call the vet again about this. As I said, I had read that kittens pee more often than adult cats because they have a weak bladder.

Second, she is too young to have the run of the house, especially since she is not litter box trained yet. She knows what it's for, obviously, but she needs her own small space until she uses it consistently.
She lives mainly in the corridor, 4 meters by 1 meter, but when we're home she can stay with us in the kitchen. No other room is available for her. Though she can stay with us in the kitchen room, she spent most of this time sleeping today.
She's still on the tiled floor, right now. I hope it's just the hot weather, 88°F and humid.
It will be worse in the next few days.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there is no need to plug the difuser in next to the litter box. It covers an entire room. On the difuser box it will say how many square feet it covers. It may do the living room and the hallway. Be aware she may not like it.
I was asking about the distance because I have a convenient socket a few inches from the litter box, I was concerned it was way too close. The other one would be in the next room, with a door between.
The diffuser box says 50 square meters, but in my experience it's much less.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that by the litter box for the feliway isn't too close not because of the feliway, but because it hums which will attract the kitten and she may try to play with it. It is also warm which will also attract her. If it gets lose in the socket she could touch the prongs and that would not be good.

The tarp wouldn't have to be on there long, a couple of days. But the tin foil is working so that's good.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had trouble with an abandoned kitten, younger than your girl, who was a huge bitter and scratcher because he had never learned to play nice, not because he was aggressive. He was retrained, but it took time.
She's bit of a biter too, sometimes she attacks my hands and feet, not fiercely, though. That is the moment when I stop considering her.
Last night she clawed at my eye while I was watching the TV (moon landing anniversary documentary), that was bad!
But I am going to deal with a problem at a time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 she has no one to play with but you. She's playing with you. Now that she's feeling better she wants to play, she needs to
play. All babies do. Hiss at her when she bites or scratches you. It is what her mother would do to tell her to stop. She will understand. She may forget in the joy of playing, but hiss again. She won't be hurt. She may run a little way away from you, but that is to help her stop biting or scratching you. It's hard to stop when you are little and playing with abandon.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that by the litter box for the feliway isn't too close not because of the feliway, but because it hums which will attract the kitten and she may try to play with it. It is also warm which will also attract her. If it gets lose in the socket she could touch the prongs and that would not be good.
I had three diffuser at once in the home a few years back, but I didn't remember the humming.
I remember the smell, though :)

The risk of it getting loose in the socket is really low. Our sockets and plugs, over here, have safety measures to prevent it.
And should a plug get loose, the prongs would be safe because when we see the metal part of them, they're not connected to the mains anymore.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hiss at her when she bites or scratches you. It is what her mother would do to tell her to stop. She will understand.
What I am doing is to grab her by her scruff, shake her gently and blow on her nose.
It seems it works, she gets quieter for some minutes :lol:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing is what her mother would do. Mom only scruffs to move kittens especially if there is danger. Scruffing and shaking her maybe telling her there is danger and might frighten her. Which would explain why she goes quiet for a few minutes. Quite is what
mom demands if there is danger.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And scruffing puts small kittens into a bit of a stupor...that's why they get that "Thousand Yard Stare." Nature does that so that a kitten being moved by Mama Cat doesn't struggle and hurt itself. I'd certainly try hissing. They're born knowing what a hiss means.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was also mistaken about scruffing and began to hiss which was much more effective. She is adorable, but she does not need to be near your face right now, so just use caution. It sounds to me as if she is just a little baby who has none of the wisdom chips that a regular kitten would have gotten from a mom or siblings.