Kitten Acts Hungry, But Then Doesn't Eat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When it comes to kittens, I usually see the vet first thing when anything is off. It means several appointments in that first year and sometimes the vet just does fluids or an antibiotic. But kittens really do go downhill fast. If you think the behavior is off it is better to get told "it looks good but come back if x happens" by your vet. It also means that if things do get worse your vet already is aware and knows basic steps have been taken so you can skip right to more aggressive steps.
Yeah going to call the other vet that they recommended, and will take her there if she doesn't improve by tomorrow. How should I treat her until then? I'm at work now, and I kept her locked in my bedroom just so if she vomits or something I'll know. Should I keep her there when I go back?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't we all need to eat like that? small portions many times a day. Hope she feels better

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah going to call the other vet that they recommended, and will take her there if she doesn't improve by tomorrow. How should I treat her until then? I'm at work now, and I kept her locked in my bedroom just so if she vomits or something I'll know. Should I keep her there when I go back?
When you get home I'd let her out. If she's anything like my guys she will either stay with you or stay in one spot if she's feeling bad. I'd also keep some food out at all times so if she starts to feel better she has the option to eat.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure your talking about this kitten can?

Cause they don't have 5.5 oz of these and I just read it again and it says 9/4 cans for a 3 pound kitten.
I feed them Wellness Core Classic Pate. It is expensive. Mostly meat. I buy from Chewy. Very easy to return. They always say take it to a shelter

Last edited:

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When you get home I'd let her out. If she's anything like my guys she will either stay with you or stay in one spot if she's feeling bad. I'd also keep some food out at all times so if she starts to feel better she has the option to eat.
Okay will do. Just figured since when she was deathly sick she did stay to one area. Don't want to give the impression that she like that now, we played for a while, and she was jumping in her cat tree a lot. But her not eating is worrying.

Okay thanks!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would never give a cat steak, especially raw steak. I don't give my cats anything that they wouldn't normally kill in the wild due to size, with the exception of tuna on occasion. But that is just me and I'm not going to recommend or discourage any feeding regime. However, I seriously suspect that the raw steak was simply too rich for her kitten tummy and that's why she had the diarrhea directly following it. In my experience, wet food can be tricky for small kittens to digest and having the runs straight after is just a natural repercussion of eating it and not usually a sign of anything more sinister. Also, changing foods and giving lots of different types and brands of food also causes tummy upsets, and it's probably best to stick to a narrow range of food variety whilst she's young.

If she's had/having a spot of food intolerance due to the raw steak/change in food then she'll probably be off her food, although might still be hungry. Just think of yourself if you've ever had the runs following eating something a bit dodgy. That she's playing and alert, isn't vomiting, and hasn't had any more diarrhea is reassuring. Just keep an eye on her for any changes in behaviour or more tummy disturbances over the coming hours. If she's still not eaten come tomorrow, then get onto the other vet. But try not to over-panic yourself.

:alright:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
A hungry cat who doesn't eat is also symptomatic of hairballs, for future reference. However, that isn't likely to be the case here as diarrhea isn't.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To me it sounds like she has a sore throat.
I had a cat who was hungry but wouldn't eat, he had a sore throat.
What can I do about that?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A hungry cat who doesn't eat is also symptomatic of hairballs, for future reference. However, that isn't likely to be the case here as diarrhea isn't.
Her diarrhea may have being from the steak. Being playing with her 20+ minutes since I got back home. And she has a lot of energy.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What can I do about that?
She needs a visit at the vet's, where they will likely prescribe an antibiotic and something to reduce the inflammation.
You might also try to give her some baby food, something tasty and can be easily swallowed. Read the labels and get one without garlic, onion, lemon juice and with low salt.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I feed kittens, especially underweight kittens, as much as I can get into them. No limit. Kittens are amazing on the energy they burn up. So don't look at the size of the can, give as much as she wants. She may need her immune system built up. Look for an additive or a treat that will do taht. It can't hurt. If she feels sick, you might offer something bland and easy to eat for a while like thin sliced deli turkey. It has the protein, etc. she needs, but not the calories. But it is better then eating nothing at all.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs a visit at the vet's, where they will likely prescribe an antibiotic and something to reduce the inflammation.
You might also try to give her some baby food, something tasty and can be easily swallowed. Read the labels and get one without garlic, onion, lemon juice and with low salt.
Forgot about baby food. Raw food would not be easy to chew at that age. Let her pig out! Or canned pate not with pieces of meat

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, how is the kitty doing? I didn't realize when you were messaging me that you had a thread about her. I would recommend leaving out a bowl of dry food 24/7 so she can eat whenever she is feeling hungry. I recommend kitten chow. It has a higher calorie and protein content than regular cat food. She is so tiny, she should eat as much as she wants whenever she can. I hope her appetite is back and that she is feeling better. She should be in good health before undergoing the spay surgery, which you said is set for this coming week, right? If she is not fully recovered by then, you may want to consider putting it off for another week.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
saleri saleri , how is she today? :bouquet:
Ehh, so last night she had a solid stool. Today she still isn't eating that much. Though during lunch she at all her food. Just now she only ate half, and I had to feed from my fingers to get her to eat. But she may just have being tired. Will feed her again at 10.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she been checked for worms and parasites??