Kitchen Appliances

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
7 but I only use 3 on a regular basis. I just don't cook a lot like I used to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
sivyaleah sivyaleah I don't know if you're old enough to remember....cooking bags used to be very popular back in the.....70s? I'm thinking? I think they were made by Banquet, but I don't remember. Anyway, you could buy them 10 for $1.00, something like that. They were bags of single serving meat: turkey, roast beef, chicken in a gravy (and I use that term loosely). You kept them in the freezer and when you were ready for a meal, you just got a bag out and put it in boiling water. When it was done, you cut the bag open and poured your entrée over rice, mashed potatoes, whatever. Whenever somebody mentions sous vide, I always think of those bags. Sous vide has gotten a lot of really good reviews, depending on which one you buy, but it's something I'm just not interested in personally.

Oh, also, while I'm thinking about it, the 5 in 1 is deeper; the XL and 7 in 1 are a lot shallower, so you have to be careful of the height of the meat you're roasting; you don't want it to touch the splatterguard on the lid. I can do a whole small chicken in the 5 in 1. I have to spatchcock it for the 7 in 1. Just something to keep in mind.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
8 - slow cooker, toaster, waffle maker, pressure cooker, coffee maker, convection oven, microwave and food processor. The pressure cooker is the old fashioned kind, the convection oven is part of the stove and the food processor is a minI.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a small NuWave and it is awful. I have a Ninja XL that I have only used a few times and I really need to dig it out.
I have one of the later, somewhat larger NuWaves, and it seems to work okay for me. The one gripe I have with it is that it's not easy to clean the grease pan. Another problem is that the cooking drawer doesn't positively latch into place and the cats have figured out how to open the drawer to try and get to the grease!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my own place I had a micowave and a toaster. I lived alone and was not much of a cook.
I don't know how to use all the new modern things they have out now.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have one of the later, somewhat larger NuWaves, and it seems to work okay for me. The one gripe I have with it is that it's not easy to clean the grease pan. Another problem is that the cooking drawer doesn't positively latch into place and the cats have figured out how to open the drawer to try and get to the grease!
The non-stick coating is peeling off on the one I have and the basket doesn't go in easily. :(

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , I sure do remember those Banquet boil in the bag meats. My son was a horribly picky eater but he loved their Salisbury steak, referring to it as “Good meat”, and he has those for dinner at least four days a week. I couldn’t stand even the smell of them and would have to look away as I cut the bag open and dumped it on a plate.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad used to like creamed chipped beef on toast (or SOS, as they called it in the army). Mom and I couldn't stand the salty stuff :barfgreen:, so she got it in some kind of cooking bag for him. Don't remember for sure, but it might have been Banquet. This was getting to be 60 years or so in the past.