Kidney Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Packs of broth work, Fancy Feast and Friskis are more enticing than good quality food unfortunately. FortiFlora and nutritional yeast are on Amazon. The last 4 months were a constant battle though Cleo was always a fussy eater. Good luck to you.

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
So hard and confusing. Last week I was told at the Tufts Vet if she is really not eating, of course this will create not pooping too. So anyway, they told me not to worry about it and give her what she will eat...

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
My condolences to you dorymb. I had a little ckd Cairn Terrier crash and cross the bridge in January, hours before her vet appointment.

Cleo had a long and wonderful life with you. Seventeen years is a good long run. She was loved and happy and will see you at the bridge. :angel:

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please check out this group Tanya's Renal Cats and join. They can help you! Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
I had a renal cat and that group is a wealth of information and they can help you. I would suggest having your labs handy, they will ask you for various information like BUN, Creatine levels etc. Kitty is throwing up because of the toxins from the kidneys building up in the system - there are various medications you can get to treat that and also appetite stimulants as well. Don't give up!!!! Many cats have been in very bad crash situations and have come back strong! My cat was diagnosed when she was 16 and I kept her alive till she was 23 and infact, it wasn't the kidney disease that took her, it was mammary cancer! I also highly suggest a supplement called Standard Process Renal for Cats - I gave that to my girl daily, crushed up in her wet food and that was something that helped to keep her levels in fairly normal range.

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Packs of broth work, Fancy Feast and Friskis are more enticing than good quality food unfortunately. FortiFlora and nutritional yeast are on Amazon. The last 4 months were a constant battle though Cleo was always a fussy eater. Good luck to you.
does fancy feast broth come with just the broth the ones i have seen come with pieces of chicken. we did give it to hime before and he ate it but not sure if he will now.

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I went to Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to try and join, it directed me right to Amazon to buy things such as foods and stuff?

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kathy

Baby food has no nutritional content for cats - it's used to entice them to eat but it's not a replacement for a meal. If you have a cat with renal issues, please join the group I suggested yesterday. The group also has a ton of information on foods - most do not use the RX food, I never did. I used a grain free food - my cat really liked Daves Naturally Healthy - she liked the gobblicious flavor - all of them are compliant for renal kitties.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I went to Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to try and join, it directed me right to Amazon to buy things such as foods and stuff?
There is link on the page to join the group - you need to do that first and then submit a request to the next page that will load.

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My condolences to you dorymb. I had a little ckd Cairn Terrier crash and cross the bridge in January, hours before her vet appointment.

Cleo had a long and wonderful life with you. Seventeen years is a good long run. She was loved and happy and will see you at the bridge. :angel:
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure the pain of it is fresh ---it's only been 4 months for you. I loved my little girl so much. I feel horrible that I didn't realize what was happening.

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have three cats we lost three others in the last two years. from various things he is the only one that had kidney problems.

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kathy

Baby food has no nutritional content for cats - it's used to entice them to eat but it's not a replacement for a meal. If you have a cat with renal issues, please join the group I suggested yesterday. The group also has a ton of information on foods - most do not use the RX food, I never did. I used a grain free food - my cat really liked Daves Naturally Healthy - she liked the gobblicious flavor - all of them are compliant for renal kitties.
Thanks for the tip for Dave's.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your cat. Did you see some symptoms before taking your cat to the vet, or was it just a routine visit?
Usually when people realise of something wrong related to the kidneys, the function of this organs is almost severely impaired.
But it sounds so weird that your vet hasn't advised you on the treatments available and possible for a CKD cat.
Namely the diet change, the fluids and some probiotics and/or medicines.
If the issues is properly managed a CKD cat can live years more.
But you can't wait, the sooner you act the better results you get. You could ask for a second opinion at another vet's.

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I made an appt for fluids, but when I got home from work she had died. I took her to E R Sunday night and the vet said her vitals were good so just watch her. I took her to vet yesterday and she was crashing. She had good values on her senior panel in December. Better than in 2015 so I just thought it was a sensitive stomach problem. At that time (Dec.) vet recommended continuing pepcid. I feel so ignorant because now that I read about kidney failure, it all fits in. She was a beautiful gentle cat. Full of life. I buried her under our magnolia tonight. Thank you everyone. I contacted you too late.
sorry for your loss

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the TCS Team, we offer our condolences for the loss of your kitty. We'll lock the thread for further comments now. We invite you place a tribute to your friend in our Crossing the Bridge forum. Crossing the Bridge

K kathy1 Please consider starting a thread for your kitty and her kidney issues here in our Health forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.