Kidney Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please help me. My cat has been diagnosed with kidney failure and the vet advised me to strongly consider putting her down. I really don't want to do that. Her levels in December were great and showed mild kidney disease. Then a few months ago she began throwing up water in large amounts, drinking a lot and losing weight. Now she seems to be crashing, doesn't want to eat but a few teaspoonsful, doesn't drink, is totally lethargic. Vet said even with IV she has a 50-50 chance and poor prognosis so we haven't done that. She is 17 and I love her so and want to make her end comfortable for us both. Please, please advise me. It's my "firstborn" my treasure cat. Bloodwork now is very bad for her kidney values. I

Last edited:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please check out this group Tanya's Renal Cats and join. They can help you! Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
I had a renal cat and that group is a wealth of information and they can help you. I would suggest having your labs handy, they will ask you for various information like BUN, Creatine levels etc. Kitty is throwing up because of the toxins from the kidneys building up in the system - there are various medications you can get to treat that and also appetite stimulants as well. Don't give up!!!! Many cats have been in very bad crash situations and have come back strong! My cat was diagnosed when she was 16 and I kept her alive till she was 23 and infact, it wasn't the kidney disease that took her, it was mammary cancer! I also highly suggest a supplement called Standard Process Renal for Cats - I gave that to my girl daily, crushed up in her wet food and that was something that helped to keep her levels in fairly normal range.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you I've been on it but it doesn't seem to be a group only info.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have to use the link they have and ask to be approved as a member. You will then have to post an introduction and that's what I was saying they will most likely ask you for your most recent lab info so they can get an idea of what stage kidney failure you are dealing with. You can most certainly read any of the links on the page but I think joining the group so they can help you at this point is your best chance at helping your cat. I just looked, there is literally a box on the left side of the page that says CLICK HERE TO JOIN TANYA'S SUPPORT GROUP

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your girl is crashing, she DOES need to be put in an IV now or she probably will not make it. The longer you wait, the poorer the prognosis. Didn't the Vet tell you that? 50/50 is better than nothing, and at least you will have tried everything, right? Crashing is very serious with kidney cats, but it doesn't mean they can't come back from it. I've had three kidney cats and though none of them ever actually crashed, they came close. Please don't wait for Tanya's site to accept you as a member before getting your girl started on the IV, which she desperately needs at this point in time.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Completely agree mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens ! The group can help you once you have your cat stabilized. If your vet is like that, maybe get a different vet - I hate it when they write off pets when things get difficult.

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I made an appt for fluids, but when I got home from work she had died. I took her to E R Sunday night and the vet said her vitals were good so just watch her. I took her to vet yesterday and she was crashing. She had good values on her senior panel in December. Better than in 2015 so I just thought it was a sensitive stomach problem. At that time (Dec.) vet recommended continuing pepcid. I feel so ignorant because now that I read about kidney failure, it all fits in. She was a beautiful gentle cat. Full of life. I buried her under our magnolia tonight. Thank you everyone. I contacted you too late.

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat was diagnosed too but we can't get him to eat the food from the vet.

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is there a way to get him to eat. i read about baby food does that actually work?

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please check out this group Tanya's Renal Cats and join. They can help you! Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
I had a renal cat and that group is a wealth of information and they can help you. I would suggest having your labs handy, they will ask you for various information like BUN, Creatine levels etc. Kitty is throwing up because of the toxins from the kidneys building up in the system - there are various medications you can get to treat that and also appetite stimulants as well. Don't give up!!!! Many cats have been in very bad crash situations and have come back strong! My cat was diagnosed when she was 16 and I kept her alive till she was 23 and infact, it wasn't the kidney disease that took her, it was mammary cancer! I also highly suggest a supplement called Standard Process Renal for Cats - I gave that to my girl daily, crushed up in her wet food and that was something that helped to keep her levels in fairly normal range.
did you ask the vet before you gave it to your cat?

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat is on hills prescription diet chicken but won't eat it.

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
are there a brand of treats that we could give him that you know of?

dorymb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
is there a way to get him to eat. i read about baby food does that actually work?
Nutritional yeast or FortiFlora probiotic sprinkeled on food like salt works 75% of the time for my cats. Also warming up the food. Cleo would sometimes eat off a spoon even when she wouldn't touch her food and then would often go to the plate afterwards.

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i tried warming up the food still won't eat it?

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we are going to try some broth i read that also. have you tried it?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My condolences to you dorymb. I had a little ckd Cairn Terrier crash and cross the bridge in January, hours before her vet appointment.

Cleo had a long and wonderful life with you. Seventeen years is a good long run. She was loved and happy and will see you at the bridge. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.