Keeping a kitten alive

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jasper is terrorizing my other cats..litterally. theyre older and dont really want to play. So he just chases them around till i stop him. :-/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Well, he's at that age.  He'll settle some in a few months.  They all go through it, if they are normal kittens...or pups, or human kids.  Part of growing up.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, he's at that age.  He'll settle some in a few months.  They all go through it, if they are normal kittens...or pups, or human kids.  Part of growing up.
She's right.  I would imagine your mother could tell stories herself about this subject. 
  But continue to stay on top of the situation.  Daddy's not happy with the behavior, the other cat's aren't joining in, and as @Mamanyt1953 says, he'll outgrow it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mama cat is doing well. Still eating and getting attention!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the update.. 

Jasper is going to love Christmas, and the Tree!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So glad to hear that mama is doing well.

I am assuming that Jasper will be climbing the tree daily.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No no, i will not let him around the tree lol

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
HA!!  I can see it now:  The tree is up, Jasper is eyeing it as it goes up... now he very carefully walks over to take a smell..then it is a paw up to bat it... then he is chewing on it... 

You keep shooshing him away, saying: "Jasper-no! NO! Go away!"

Then when your back it turned, he is inside the tree!! 

When You are sleeping you hear a CRASH!! Yup, Jasper has conquered the Christmas Tree....

Your poor dog is just lying there, wondering what all this commotion is about....

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

HA!!  I can see it now:  The tree is up, Jasper is eyeing it as it goes up... now he very carefully walks over to take a smell..then it is a paw up to bat it... then he is chewing on it... 

You keep shooshing him away, saying: "Jasper-no! NO! Go away!"

Then when your back it turned, he is inside the tree!! 

When You are sleeping you hear a CRASH!! Yup, Jasper has conquered the Christmas Tree....

Your poor dog is just lying there, wondering what all this commotion is about....
Yes, you took the words out of my mouth.  I can see it happen just like that!!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, you took the words out of my mouth.  I can see it happen just like that!!
yup,  actually, that is what my last kitty, Pumpkin did to our tree every year.. We had to tie a heavy string around it and attach it to the wall!! 

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, im having a problem with one of my cats marking on stuff that belongs to my dog. Its been suggested that it could have something to do with jasper since him and my dog are so close.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/329270/cat-keeps-peeing-on-my-dogs-bed#post_4150507

Link to thread, of anyone can go there and give me advise i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sooo jasper is definitely an explorer. So im wondering about taking him outside. I always see cats out sun bathing on their owners lawn when im out jogging with my dog. So id like to get to the point where i could let jasper go outside as he pleases without me being outside always with him. Soo bad idea? Good idea? Im not too fond of a leash for him but i could use it at first. But ultimately id like to get to the point where i dont need to worry about the leash. My yard is fenched in, i realise he can climb but i think it would be a mild deterrent at first haha. Hes been neutered for quite sometime now so im not worried about him making babies or anything lol. Just thought, would like to get some input. Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sure he would enjoy it, but outside can be dangerous. He can potentially pick up parasites and fleas, and bring them inside to everyone else. He can roam and get lost or injured, attacked or hit by a car. Inside is always safest.

With that said, many cats do well outside, and stay in the yard. He really should not be outside alone until he's at least 9 months old, and I would think that you would want to babysit him for awhile outside to ensure that both you and he are comfortable with the situation.

Do you have a cat or doggie door?

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the fleas are a issue anyways lol my dog brings them in, but the parasites are not a good thing.
No doggie door as i rent so i probably wouldn't be allowed to put one in.
If i proceeded i would definitely babysit him!
Im just tossing around the idea in my head and trying to get some info on it.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But he doesnt have far to go before he hits 9mo! He'll be 8mo in about a week

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can't believe he's almost 8 months! It seems like just yesterday you were bottle feeding him every day. Is he still nursing your dog?

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't believe he's almost 8 months! It seems like just yesterday you were bottle feeding him every day. Is he still nursing your dog?
Yes -_- hahaha ive been trying to interrupted them whenever i see it happening ahahah

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been following this thread since the beginning and can't believe Jasper is almost 8 months old already!

About letting him outside, my vote is no.  Unless he is absolutely desperate to go out and it's driving you insane trying to keep him in.  Otherwise, I'd be very hesitant to let him outside.  

Growing up, my family had 3 cats - all indoor/outdoor.

The 1st a neutered male lived till about 15, but was always coming home with abscesses after being in fights with other cats.  

The 2nd, also a neutered male, was desperate to go outside, at all hours. One morning my Dad let him out before dawn and he didn't come home. Later that day, Dad found his body in the gutter on the street behind ours. He'd been hit by a car. He was less than a year old.  

The 3rd, a spayed female, miraculously lived till 19, but not without causing us tons of worry.  Once she didn't come home for a couple days.  Mom finally found her huddled under the back deck. Her leg was all scratched up. The vet said it was road burn, and that she'd probably been grazed by a car.  Her leg took a long time to heal, as she wouldn't leave the bandage alone. The fur never grew back.  Another time she didn't come home we found her the next day looking out the window of our locked shed.

My adopted cat, Ruby, is an indoor only cat. Now. Per the shelter I adopted her from, she was found out on the street by a woman who saw kids kicking her. We don't know her history, but she has no interest at all in going outside. I think she knows it's better inside.

As for Jasper, if he was mine, and I'd gone through all you did to keep that adorable kitten alive, I would keep him inside. It's the only way you can know where he is and "mostly" what he's doing. And because you already know he's an "explorer" there's no limit of places he's want to explore outside, some of which would be very dangerous.  I would even be hesitant to take him outside on a leash, as I've read here on this site of people who took cats out on a leash and once the cat got a taste of the outdoors wanted to go out all the time. 

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well if anyone was following my other thread about my female cat peeing on everything that was my dogs/jaspers. Just an update, i had to rehome her :-( she went to a lovely hope with two kids who will love her. As for jasper he has made the biggest turn around. Hes the sweetest thing now, no more ripping wallpaper off, hes more affectionate (he sleeps with me at night and loves to be pet, were before he would barely let me touch him), and since the female is gone there isnno more fighting, i figured hed play with my other male cat but jasper just leaves him be and plays with his toys or stella. I feel bad for rehoming her, but after seeing the insane behavioral changes that jaspers went through literally over night, it helps make me feel a little better.