July 2021 book of the month club

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For July we've chosen a book by British novelist Jeffrey Archer. Published in 2009, the book, though a work of fiction, was inspired by the true life story of George Mallory, an English mountaineer who took part in the first three British expeditions to Mount Everest in the early 1920s.

(note: the below book description has what I consider a spoiler, so if you are not familiar with George Mallory's life story, you might want to skip over it)

The book for July 2021 is
Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer

1622646291098.png

We will be reading it between July 1st and July 21st
Discussion will begin July 22nd

Everyone is welcome to read along with us. You can RSVP that you're going to read it, by posting in this thread.

Reviews can be read at Goodreads:
Paths of Glory

I think that covers everything, however, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just looked at it, as it's available as PDF. Read up to Chapter 4 - very promising! But I've got to go back to Mrs Westaway for now! :frown:
Well that's a good endorsement, for anyone on the fence about reading it. :)

But, yes, get back to Mrs Westaway, as it's not July yet. :lol:

And for anyone wondering, The Death of Mrs Westaway is our June book of the month. And since it's only June 3rd, it's not to late to join us. Here's the link to the thread: June 2021 book of the month club (Poll)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My library hold for the e-book came up yesterday, so I have 3 days to borrow it before I lose my chance, and have to go to the end of the wait list line. So I guess I'll be starting it before July.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My library has a lot of Jeffrey Archer books, but not this one. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere else.
That was the same with my library, with the e-book. So I requested it, and they actually went with my suggestion and got it, but before I realized it was there, a bunch of people got ahead of me and were waiting for it. Now they have 3 copies of the e-book, and still a wait list to borrow it. So even though it's an older book, interest is still there, so maybe your library might get a copy too. Though probably not in time for you to borrow for July.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started it yesterday, and so far it seems like it will be a fairly fast read.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually haven't read for a few days. Must get back to it soon. :read:

Anyone else reading it?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got "Paths of Glory" from the library.
And, harking back to the January book "Rebecca," I finally got the DVD by Hitchcock today! I've had it on hold since January. Popular movie I guess!