July 2021 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well I did finish the book - last night while sitting with my new foster cats. Skimmed over the bits I couldn't stomach. So sad!
I am fairly certain that climbing the Eiffel Tower, fire escape etc. were all incidences made up by the author; the actual wording of the letters, too. But other details, such as the clothing and food were probably correct. I find historical fiction, when the main characters really lived, rather disconcerting, but, in this case, at least the basic framework of the story was correct so the added incidences created a certaim amount of lightheartedness and made the novel easier to read and appreciate. Does the film of either of the 2 expeditions still exist?

I feel bad about the fact that I was not really in the mood for such a book, so I will give it ⭐⭐⭐⭐!
Yes, good for you for finishing it, when your heart wasn't into it, and you knew it wouldn't be a happy ending. 🤗

And 4 stars. :thumbsup:
I wasn't even that generous. :lol:

I have to say that I've gotten more interested in Mount Everest and the climbing attempts since we've started discussing the book, than I was just reading it. So I'm so glad it was one we read as a group. :grouphug:

Not film from the expeditions, however, I see there's ton of videos on Youtube, including this 2020 documentary which looks really good. I must confess I'd never heard of the Sherpas before reading the book, so it should be interesting.

The above video is 56 minutes long, so isn't a quick watch.

This one, however, is only 4 minutes long, and shows the final climb. :cold:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, good for you for finishing it, when your heart wasn't into it, and you knew it wouldn't be a happy ending. 🤗

And 4 stars. :thumbsup:
I wasn't even that generous. :lol:

I have to say that I've gotten more interested in Mount Everest and the climbing attempts since we've started discussing the book, than I was just reading it. So I'm so glad it was one we read as a group. :grouphug:

Not film from the expeditions, however, I see there's ton of videos on Youtube, including this 2020 documentary which looks really good. I must confess I'd never heard of the Sherpas before reading the book, so it should be interesting.

The above video is 56 minutes long, so isn't a quick watch.

This one, however, is only 4 minutes long, and shows the final climb. :cold:

Yes thanks for the videos rubysmama rubysmama ! I will watch them.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you pearl99 pearl99 pearl99 pearl99 , very doubtful they would have succeeded without the Sherpas.
Yes and there were what, 70-80 Sherpas helping to carry all the equipment and food? And a hundred mules? For part of the journey.

I read Edmund Hillary felt a person couldn't claim having climbed Everest if they didn't make it back down alive also. I'm not sure I agree with that.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Sherpas must have been incredibly strong, resilient people and we're only paid a pittance.

I sort of agree with Hillary. By the time they reached the summit they were exhausted and going back down must have been almost as hard and dangerous, a challenge in itself.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the time they reached the summit they were exhausted and going back down must have been almost as hard and dangerous, a challenge in itself.
The book mentioned that several times. And, of course, in the book, they made it to the top, it was the descent where they lost their lives.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since today is August 1st, guess that means our Paths of Glory discussion has officially ended. The thread will remain open, though, so any additional comments can be added at any time.

Thanks to everyone who read along with us.

Hope you'll join us again, maybe even this month, as we read and then discuss "Girls With Bright Futures".
August 2021 book of the month club