Jigsaws

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally starting a new puzzle! It is one I picked up at the thrift store over the summer. I has never heard of the maker, Brain Tree, but it was a pretty beach image so I took a chance on it. A pleasant surprise so far. It turned out to be unopened which is always nice, with images that are crisp and colorful, and the puzzle shapes have a lot of variety, sort of like a Springbok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
An unopened, good puzzle from a thrift shop is an absolute bonus susanm9006 susanm9006 !
It looks like a good brand. :)
Not available in Australia though.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It looks pretty challenging susanm9006 susanm9006 !
I quite like odd-shaped pieces though.. It helps me to work out what goes where. :)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m casting about for truly unusual, odd, or different puzzles w/ off the beaten path images…anybody got any links?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I’m casting about for truly unusual, odd, or different puzzles w/ off the beaten path images…anybody got any links?
Bit tricky for me Margot Lane Margot Lane as I'm in Australia and we don't have the range of things that exist in the US. :(

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you looked through this thread Margot Lane Margot Lane ? Some of the ones posted are a bit different. :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first jigsaw this season! 1000 pieces but it only took a few evenings to do - in spite of the "help" provided by 4 cats. It was both interesting and amusing."Lady Chatterly's Plover", "Lady Chatterly's Bowler", "Lady Chatterly's Diaper", "Lady Chatterly's Rover", "Lady Chatterly's Pullover", "A Pram for All Seasons", "Seven Pills of Wisdom" were just a few of the book titles arranged on the shelves among some very odd items incuding wine bottles, toys, a pumpkin, chicken, peas in the pod and knitting needles with a ball of wool.
Books_Jigsaw.jpg

Although the cats sent many pieces flying, they did not take a single piece away to bury in a litter box! :heartshape:
IMG_1644.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My first jigsaw this season! 1000 pieces but it only took a few evenings to do - in spite of the "help" provided by 4 cats. It was both interesting and amusing."Lady Chatterly's Plover", "Lady Chatterly's Bowler", "Lady Chatterly's Diaper", "Lady Chatterly's Rover", "Lady Chatterly's Pullover", "A Pram for All Seasons", "Seven Pills of Wisdom" were just a few of the book titles arranged on the shelves among some very odd items incuding wine bottles, toys, a pumpkin, chicken, peas in the pod and knitting needles with a ball of wool.
View attachment 436222

Although the cats sent many pieces flying, they did not take a single piece away to bury in a litter box! :heartshape:
View attachment 436223
You are fast! This looks like a Ravensburger. They have done a number of these bookshelf type and I love finding the little characters tucked into the shelves and the cute book titles.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
View attachment 436222

View attachment 436223
I do like those 'booky' ones. :) I haven't done that one yet so will keep an eye out for it.

I've never thought to check the litterbox for missing pieces. :think:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
…gonna TRY the new rule of not looking at the box.
I don't normally apply this rule except perhaps for puzzles with less than 1000 pieces. For some puzzles the picture is of no help - as in the case of this picture - something borrowed, something blue, blue and even more blue, which I am working on at the moment. The sunset and its reflection were fairly straightforward but the rest ........ trial and error matching shapes.
Sunset.jpg

In the case of the book puzzle most of the fun was finding a puzzle piece, with say a small carrot in the corner, and studying the picture to try to find out where a carrot goes and why. I suppose it all depends on the details in the picture and how much interesting information can be found in the small details - in addition to simply completing the puzzle. Both puzzles have 1000 pieces and are from Ravensburger but they are completely different to work with.

I have to finish puzzles quickly - with 4 cats playing with the pieces, it's not safe to vacuum until the puzzles are 100 % complete. :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally apply this rule except perhaps for puzzles with less than 1000 pieces. For some puzzles the picture is of no help - as in the case of this picture - something borrowed, something blue, blue and even more blue, which I am working on at the moment. The sunset and its reflection were fairly straightforward but the rest ........ trial and error matching shapes.
View attachment 436675
In the case of the book puzzle most of the fun was finding a puzzle piece, with say a small carrot in the corner, and studying the picture to try to find out where a carrot goes and why. I suppose it all depends on the details in the picture and how much interesting information can be found in the small details - in addition to simply completing the puzzle. Both puzzles have 1000 pieces and are from Ravensburger but they are completely different to work with.

I have to finish puzzles quickly - with 4 cats playing with the pieces, it's not safe to vacuum until the puzzles are 100 % complete. :)
I have a couple cafeteria type trays to keep puzzle pieces confined while working on it. Otherwise Lola would have them flung everywhere.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished! Woolly Bear is so happy! At last she can sleep on the table in the sun without somebody playing with those ridiculous pieces of cardboard!

IMG_1693.jpg

Yes, I managed to finish it fairly quickly because I've had 2 days doing little else while suffering with a fever (bronchitis or flu but not Covid!). Here's a photo without Woolly Bear to prove it.

Sunset jigsaw.jpg

I could hardly believe that I didn't have to do a final search under the table for any missing pieces. I'll now have to try to put it back in the box - without too many cats' hairs! It was a borrowed puzzle. Rather difficult and boring - the picture was no help at all. A simple question of matching shapes and to a less extent colours - but it's finished and will probably be my last puzzle till Christmas.