It's Taken Over 2 Years...

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...but we've finally caught the stray cat my neighbour was feeding :biggrin:

Over the past couple of weeks, he's been coming to us more and more. Last evening I heard him outside, went to feed him and noticed he was holding his right front leg up.

My son managed to entice him into the kitchen and as soon as he was in, closed the door. One cat caught.

Went to take him to the vet this afternoon at 1415 - and my car broke down. Had to delay the appointment. Flat battery. Luckily I'm a member of the AA (breakdown service) and they came out. Battery needed replacing. That done, I let the vet know we were on our way. Cat was not happy at being put in the cat carrier a second time and bit my son quite deeply.

At the vets, the cat was as good as gold. Upshot is vet doesn't think anything's broken, not an abcess forming so looks like it could be a sprain. He's been prescribed Meloxidyl (similar to Metacalm) plus worm and flea treatment. If his leg improves he'll be back for the snip job and microchipping later in the week.

Vet thinks he's a young cat, no more than 3 years old. He may have a home with Fluffy in the future and if not he'll stay with us.

Now I need to think of a name for him. Our neighbour called him Mister (as in "come on mister") but I don't like that as it's too confusing - as in when the vets nurse called us it was "Mr K***". I'm thinking of calling him Oscar. He's a beautiful all black cat so it looks like I now have another house panther.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
!!!YESYESYES!!! Bless his little heart, he knew you'd help him.

oh dear, I'm sorry!
Not only for you in case you aren't already familiar, but for other readers and lurkers, this is good information regarding bites;
Cat Bites – What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Oscar is a wonderful name :heartshape:
That's really good information and what my son did - washed it thoroughly. When we were at the vets he cleaned the wound a second time then gave it a good soak with Surgical Spirit (stung like mad - ouch). Thankfully we do not have Rabies in the UK. We'll keep an eye on it though.

The more I think about it, the more I like the name Oscar. Tried calling the cat Oscar just now. His response - a big yawn :lol:

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol, just like a cat. I'm SO glad for all of you that he's inside :vibes: :heartshape: :purr:
Yes, especially with winter just round the corner. We could be in for a harsh winter this year in the UK and Europe. At least that's one cat off the streets who will never be cold or hungry again AND he'll never father unwanted litters of kittens again either. He's still trying to look for a way out but that will pass. What we need is some heavy rain then he'll realise he's not getting wet. When we took the late Tia off the streets, she was sitting on the windowsill looking out and it started raining heavily. She jumped down and went and sat under my piano. She had a quizzical look on her face. She couldn't understand why she wasn't getting wet. She never tried to go out even when the door was open. She would only go as far as the living room door and just sit there. Hoping Oscar realises the same in time.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Time to introduce the lovely Oscar. My son took this pic of him last night. What a handsome chap he is. Unfortunately, his paw has swelled up again. I've let the vet know so they will x-ray it tomorrow when he's under anaesthetic. It seems to be just above the joint so I'm hoping it's not fractured. He's not putting his paw down but on the plus side, he's eating normally. I have a Blink doorbell (similar to a Ring) and saw him about 2 weeks ago walking up our path. He looked more like an old cat than a young cat and his back legs were really moving stiffly. That seems to have resolved now but I wonder if someone's kicked him. There is a man at the end of our street who hates cats and has been known to hit them with a spade. No-one will ever hit Oscar again. He is now part of our family, to be made official when he gets his microchip tomorrow.

Oscar3.png

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, Oscar honey!! You're home :vibes::crossfingers::bouquet:
He is. Every so often we get a "special one". My last "special cat" was Lucy. She was a one night emergency foster. That lasted 15 years and we lost her at the grand old age of 23. She had been abused by her previous "owners" (tormentors is more appropriate) and she was left permanently crippled because of it. I have the feeling Oscar is also a "special cat".

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update. Oscar is currently at the vets. They are going to x-ray his paw while he's under anaesthetic. They don't think there's a break there but an x-ray will show anything untoward.

The vets were really busy this morning (it's 10am here in the UK as I write this) with emergencies. One dog came in and was put on the operating table straightaway. Looks like the dog was getting abdominal surgery so may have eaten something he shouldn't have.

A young man came in with his cat who he thinks has been hit by a car as his leg was just dangling. Poor man seemed to be in a state of shock. Another cat was rushed in as well, probably another victim of a road accident. Couldn't help thinking I'm glad mine are all indoor cats.

With this vet normally they do their spay/neuters in the morning so the cats are usually discharged around 2 - 3pm but we've been told not to expect Oscar to be ready to come home much before 5pm due to him having to have x-rays and the amount of emergences they're having to deal with.

I'll be glad when he's back home under my watchful eye. This lad has quickly wormed his way into my heart.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar is home, is now officially part of my family and has the microchip to prove it.

His surgery went well and the vet said he was a very good boy.

His paw was x-rayed and no break was found. As he was under anaesthetic they were able to have a really good look at it and found a puncture wound. They've shaved the fur off his paw so it was much easier to spot. They wouldn't have been able to do this had he been awake. We have to resume the anti-inflammatory medicine tomorrow as he's had a long lasting injection today. If he's still getting problems with it next week, he'll go back for a course of antibiotics.

At the moment he's sleeping off the remnants of the anaesthetic, all nice and cosy on a medi-fleece.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't been on for a few days but we've had a few problems with Oscar.

He had quite a bit of swelling after his neuter op. Advice from the vets was to carry on with the anti-inflammatory medication. The swelling has now gone down. His paw is back to normal so that is good.

We started introducing him to our other cats and he gets on well with them. No fighting. The only one who has hissed at him (half-heartedly) has been Kira.

Unfortunately, disaster struck not 30 minutes ago and I am beyond heartbroken. I took a delivery from Amazon. I thought Oscar was safely in the living room. Turned out he wasn't. He must have been at the top of the stairs out of view. When I came back in, he shot out the door. I have mobility issues and wasn't quick enough to catch him. By the time my son came downstairs (he was painting his bedroom) Oscar had gone into next door's garden, down the path and disappeared into the woodland behind our house.

We can only hope he comes back but because he has lived outside most of his life I have doubts. I am so angry with myself. I should have doubled checked he couldn't get out. He is wearing a collar and he is microchipped but he won't let most people approach him.

I do have a cat trap and might have to use that.

Please pray that he comes home or send out thoughts to him.