Itchy in and around ears

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the last year, my 1.5 year old cat has had a persistent itching in and around his ears. He never had any issues when he was a kitten. December 2020 I started letting him outside. Few months later tick season started and he got a few ticks. At that time he started scratching his ears a lot. He also kept scratching the spots where ticks had been, to the point where he had scabs all over his neck and head. My vet gave him meds for the itching, which helped for about 2 weeks. The scabs had healed nicely, but he'd scratch them open right away. This went on for a couple of months. Every time he'd scratch the scabs open, they'd heal within a few weeks and he'd scratch them open again.

September last year he got into a car accident unfortunately and had to be crated for 2 full months. Since he had broken both his hind legs, he couldn't scratch himself and everything healed nicely. He never showed signs of itching or discomfort around the ears during his crate rest, so I was hoping the itching would just go away.

Well that was a false hope. He's now walking around freely again (inside obviously) for a little over a month and the scratching around his ears has returned. He's got some scabs already on his right ear because of all the scratching. For his left ear he needs my assistance, so no scabs on that side at least. It seems the itching (on both sides) is either on the part between his eye and ear, or deep inside the ear. That's the only places he'll scratch and he sometimes puts his claws inside the ear.

I have thought about it being a food allergy, because at the time he was allowed outside, I also switched his food from kitten to adult version. The difference in ingredients is minimal and because he didn't have issues as a kitten I'm not sure it's a food allergy. He doesn't have itching around his mouth or paws either. I've also thought about it being ear mites, but his ears are clean and odorless. His ears aren't red or painful either. Gave him dewormer, which also kills fleas and ear mites, a few days ago, but I see no difference in the itching. He doesn't have any other itching body parts. Just the ears and the area between his ears and eyes. The only thing I notice is that his ears are a little damp inside:

Any ideas what's going on? If necessary I'll take him to the vet obviously, but with the weekly vet visits for the past few months, I'd rather not put him through that kind of stress again right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pictures...
20220103_141330.jpg
20220103_141255.jpg

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His ears do look good. The itching could be as simple as dry skin or mild irritation. If you have a follow-up from his injuries coming up any time soon, perhaps mention the itchy ears then. You could also call your vet and ask about the itching to see if there's anything you could try to relive it. They may give you something without an appointment since they've been seeing him so often lately. But they may also want to see him for a quick visit just to make sure there's no infection or anything going on.

I'm sorry I can't suggest anything else other than making sure his ears and other itchy areas are clean and stay that way. Since he's not showing any signs of an infection, this is a bit of a puzzle, and it could be anything. He could be rubbing his ears and the itchy areas around them on something that's causing him to be itchy. Since it's so localized. Does he go into cubards or anywhere else that his ears/ face my get something on it he's irritated by?

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!

There's nothing really I can think of that would irritate his skin by being touched. He can't go in the cabinets/cupboards where cleaning stuff etc is stored. I keep the apartment clean as well, as in vacuuming and dusting.

Is it possible that he gets itchy from my house plants? He never shows interest in them, except for the cat grass. I do have 2 toxic plants, pothos and a monstera. The pothos is out of reach of the cats. The monstera isn't, but they never show any interest in it. Could they cause itchiness anyway, without being eaten or touched?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Cats can become allergic to a food they have consistently eaten at any given time, so you can't actually rule out the food. Most folks end up having to put their cats on a novel protein (venison, rabbit, lamb, etc) for an extended period of time to see if their 'old' food was the culprit.

However, the fact that he didn't scratch while being crated could point to some other form of allergic reaction - or, if he was on meds of any sort during that time, they may have helped subside the allergy (pain meds, anti-inflammatories, steroids, antibiotics all can have a positive impact on allergies).

The other things to consider are changes in flooring/carpeting/curtains/furniture, scented candles, even cleaning products used throughout the house - and so on, that he has more access to, now that he is mobile again. Most of the time it is something new that has been introduced in the environment, but it is also a possibility that he has developed an allergy to something that has been there all along. Even dust particles that are hard to get rid of no matter how much you clean - and, even worse when the house is closed up due to winter weather. An air purifier or humidifier might be worth buying.

Unless you have pollen from the plants that gets spread throughout the house, especially since you said he doesn't go near them, I can't imagine how the plants would be the issue. But the soil from the cat grass (or the grass itself) could be a trigger.

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The plants could cause it I would think if the cat brushes against them or you do. If flowering plants pollen could also cause itching I would think.

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, gonna be tough figuring out what causes the itching then...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a food allergy also cause itching around the mouth? I switched to a grain free dry food a few months ago, although both have chicken in it and I know some cats can get allergic to that. Obviously easiest would be switching to a different food and see what happens. All dry foods he ever got had chicken in it and all the higher quality foods that are easy to get for me have chicken in it... Alternative would be switching to a lower quality food with a different protein source.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmm, gonna be tough figuring out what causes the itching then...Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a food allergy also cause itching around the mouth? I switched to a grain free dry food a few months ago, although both have chicken in it and I know some cats can get allergic to that. Obviously easiest would be switching to a different food and see what happens. All dry foods he ever got had chicken in it and all the higher quality foods that are easy to get for me have chicken in it... Alternative would be switching to a lower quality food with a different protein source.
Allergies tend to manifest themselves in different ways with different cats. Ear itchiness, for some reason, seems to be a fairly predominant response to a number of allergies, more so than the mouth area from what I have seen/read/heard.

There are good quality food sources other than chicken, and dry isn't always the best anyway. If he likes canned food, take a look at the chart on this site (Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients | TheCatSite) for some possible non-chicken foods. And here are some non-chicken dry food options too. 10 Best Cat Foods Without Chicken In 2021 (petsumer.com)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a food allergy also cause itching around the mouth?
Nope. Food allergy symptoms can appear anywhere on the body and they may not even look like they might caused by a food issue. One of my cats gets bald spots when he has an issue with food. Bald spots can be caused by any number of things but you wouldn't think of a food issue being one.

There are good quality brands of food in novel proteins. Rawz is one good brand. Koha is another.

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have a look at the non-chicken options. How quick could I see a difference in itchiness?

I'm aware dry food is not the best. But... It's very handy having it around if I'm expecting to be away all day. They're fed at set times. So if I know I'll be away most of the day, I leave dry food out for them. I feed them raw as well though, about 50/50 dry/raw. Mr. Fancypants doesn't eat normal wet food, only raw and dry. He'd rather go the entire day without food than eat even the tiniest bit of wet food. With the raw food I noticed he doesn't like poultry, could that be an indication of anything?

Also a thought that crossed my mind... I haven't really been paying attention when exactly he does the scratching, because it's definitely not all the time. Something I realized a while ago, is that he always started cleaning immediately after I pet him. Could it be something from my hands that irritates his skin? I work from home, so I can easily keep an eye on him and try to see if my hands cause the itchiness.

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops, wanted to add to that last theory. The reason I ask is because during crate rest - when he wasn't showing signs of itchiness or discomfort around his ears - I didn't nearly pet him as much as I do now. I let him sleep most of the time, whereas now whenever he even looks at him, I go over to pet/kiss/cuddle him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something I realized a while ago, is that he always started cleaning immediately after I pet him. Could it be something from my hands that irritates his skin? I work from home, so I can easily keep an eye on him and try to see if my hands cause the itchiness...The reason I ask is because during crate rest - when he wasn't showing signs of itchiness or discomfort around his ears - I didn't nearly pet him as much as I do now. I let him sleep most of the time, whereas now whenever he even looks at him, I go over to pet/kiss/cuddle him.
It could be I suppose, especially if you've changed lotions, soaps - that kind of stuff. You can always wash your hands first (unscented, hypo-allergenic soap, of course) and see if that make a difference.

I will tell you that we laugh around here when we pet Feeby, as she always seems to need to clean right afterward - we just say she is getting our 'cooties' off of her. But she also doesn't have any itchy problems, so easier for us to 'blow it off' to her having a 'cootie-phobia'.

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So naturally I've been watching every single move he makes since yesterday to hopefully see what triggers the itching.

Well since I started the thread he hasn't scratched once lol. I'm starting to think maybe it's one of the raw foods that makes him itchy or something. I know he was still scratching a lot this weekend and that's when I fed them duck. Duck is something I've fed him since he was a kitten, because he used to love it. Not so much anymore though. Thursday duck's on the menu again, just finishing what I have left. I'll keep a close eye on him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll have a look at the non-chicken options. How quick could I see a difference in itchiness?
Varies. Give it at least 13 weeks or so. My cat's bald spots went away days after I stopped giving him the raw food that contains goat milk. But bald spots are different from itchy bothersome ears.

What kind of raw are you feeding? A recipe or a commercial brand?

Catbutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Varies. Give it at least 13 weeks or so. My cat's bald spots went away days after I stopped giving him the raw food that contains goat milk. But bald spots are different from itchy bothersome ears.

What kind of raw are you feeding? A recipe or a commercial brand?
Commercial brand, those premixed ''sausages'' with a little bit of everything. It's my retailer's own brand actually.