Is This Normal?

Bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone
I’m sorry but I’m having a cat for the first time in my life so I don’t really know much about them and I have a couple of questions.
Q1) is it okay to sleep in my bedroom and keeping it outside? (She doesn’t scratch or anything)
Q2) I’m living alone so she stays alone when I go out is that okay?
Thanks in advance

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Bella_, welcome to TCS!

It is ok for your cat to sleep in the bedroom with you or even on your bed. Many of us have our cats sleep with us on the bed.

It is ok if he's outside, I presume out of the room but in the house and not outdoors and you said he doesn't scratch anything and he looks like a well behaved cat and just as long as you keep breakables and medications and human food and and toxic chemicals away from him or anything he may chew and get choke.

It is also ok to leave him at home alone. Again, many of us has to get to work and many cats are left alone at home during these times.

Just make sure that there's fresh water each time, litterbox is cleaned before you leave and there's food left out for him.

Take out his favorite toys and to him play but they'll sleep most of the time when there's no one around.
You can even install a camera so that you can keep an eye on him while you are out.

After you are back from work, do hug him and play with him.

Here are some articles for you to read as a first time cat owner :-

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Also there are many interesting and helpful articles here in :- ams and do ask questions if you have any and post hem in the appropriate forum pages and members are willing to help you answer them if they can.

Enjoy your stay :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Bella_, welcome to TCS!

It is ok for your cat to sleep in the bedroom with you or even on your bed. Many of us have our cats sleep with us on the bed.

It is ok if he's outside, I presume out of the room but in the house and not outdoors and you said he doesn't scratch anything and he looks like a well behaved cat and just as long as you keep breakables and medications and human food and and toxic chemicals away from him or anything he may chew and get choke.

It is also ok to leave him at home alone. Again, many of us has to get to work and many cats are left alone at home during these times.

Just make sure that there's fresh water each time, litterbox is cleaned before you leave and there's food left out for him.

Take out his favorite toys and to him play but they'll sleep most of the time when there's no one around.
You can even install a camera so that you can keep an eye on him while you are out.

After you are back from work, do hug him and play with him.

Here are some articles for you to read as a first time cat owner :-

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Also there are many interesting and helpful articles here in :- ams and do ask questions if you have any and post hem in the appropriate forum pages and members are willing to help you answer them if they can.

Enjoy your stay :wink:
Thanks alot
I was just worried that she might get depressed or something

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on being a new cat parent. :petcat:

How old is your cat? How long have you had her?

I, purr-sonally, love it when my Ruby sleeps on the bed with me, but I understand not everyone is comfortable with that. And if your girl isn't crying or scratching at the door, she is probably fine.

About being alone, as tabbytom tabbytom posted, folks do have to work, or leave the house for other reasons, so the cat has be be left alone. If you think she might be bored when you're gone, here's a TCS article that might be helpful:

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

Bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on being a new cat parent. :petcat:

How old is your cat? How long have you had her?

I, purr-sonally, love it when my Ruby sleeps on the bed with me, but I understand not everyone is comfortable with that. And if your girl isn't crying or scratching at the door, she is probably fine.

About being alone, as tabbytom tabbytom posted, folks do have to work, or leave the house for other reasons, so the cat has be be left alone. If you think she might be bored when you're gone, here's a TCS article that might be helpful:

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)
Thanks
She’s 7 months old and I’ve been having her for like one month

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks
She’s 7 months old and I’ve been having her for like one month
Is she spayed? If not, please have her spayed so that she can live a healthier life.

Here are some articles for you to read regarding spaying a cat :-

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats.22304

when-to-spay-or-neuter-a-cat.33415

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery.30217

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery.30218

how-much-does-it-cost-to-get-a-cat-fixed.33906

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks alot
I was just worried that she might get depressed or something
Nah, it should be ok. If you like, you may also leave some of your clean unwashed non- perfumed garments and place them around the house and where she normally takes her rest or sleep.

This is to leave your scents with her so that she feels safe with the familiar scents.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s okay for your cat to sleep in your bed with you if YOU are comfortable having your cat in bed with you.

I grew up in a house where animals were not allowed in bed. I just never got used to it but Casper likes to sleep in bed with us so I let him even if I’m not 100% comfortable. We just “negotiate” bed space.

Casper can sleep near the foot of the bed when I’m sleeping there. Casper’s Girl Human lets him snuggle with her when she’s sleeping there.

If a cat wants to sleep with a human it’s usually because they feel safe and consider you a part of their family.

So, if your cat wants to sleep with you it means that he considers you to be “his human.” :)

It’s is also okay to leave your cat alone during the day as long as there is food, water and a clean litter box.

Cats are pretty independent and they sometimes prefer to be alone a lot of the time. He can be alone for much of the day as long as he gets to see you on a regular basis.

If you greet him and give him a “kitty cookie” each day when you come home from work he will eventually learn your schedule and might even come a-runnin’ when he hears you come in. :)

Play with him and give him lots of attention and, after a while, it your daily ins and outs will become part of his normal routine.

Casper “knows” when I come home each day and he’s often waiting for me when I come in the door. He waits patiently for me to take off my coat and shoes. Then it’s “petting and cookie time.”

This is the same routine that happens nine out of ten times.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on your cat’s personality. If she’s calm and independent, she will be ok by herself for many hours. If she is social and active, she also will be ok :) but might get bored, especially that she’s still a kitten, and may require more attention from you when you get back. But as long as you play or cuddle with her, whichever she prefers, she will be fine. But you can always get another kitten if you’re worried she’s all alone during a day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep my bedroom door shut at night to keep my cats out while I'm sleeping that's how I trained them since I got them as kittens

Bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It depends on your cat’s personality. If she’s calm and independent, she will be ok by herself for many hours. If she is social and active, she also will be ok :) but might get bored, especially that she’s still a kitten, and may require more attention from you when you get back. But as long as you play or cuddle with her, whichever she prefers, she will be fine. But you can always get another kitten if you’re worried she’s all alone during a day.
She’s so quiet actually even when I’m awake

Bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So she's still pretty young. If she's not crying at night, or showing behaviour of being stressed, she's likely ok. Most cats adjust to their human's routines, and do fine. Just watch for any signs of stress: Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

Any pics of your girl you can share? :catman:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite :camera:
No signs actually she just comes when I wake for playing or petting or just staying with me in the same room and then she goes back to sleep in like two hours
Yess sure

Attachments

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you greet him and give him a “kitty cookie” each day when you come home from work he will eventually learn your schedule and might even come a-runnin’ when he hears you come in. :)

Play with him and give him lots of attention and, after a while, it your daily ins and outs will become part of his normal routine.

Casper “knows” when I come home each day and he’s often waiting for me when I come in the door. He waits patiently for me to take off my coat and shoes. Then it’s “petting and cookie time.”

This is the same routine that happens nine out of ten times.
Just be aware some active kitties are more play driven than food driven. I learned that the hard way when I tried to just feed my girl without playing with her first. She meowed constantly and wouldn't finish her food until I got her wand toy out.

Bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And really thanks guys you helped me alot

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the pic! She's a cutie.

If she were unhappy with the arrangement, she'd find a way to let you know! If she's quiet and non-destructive with your stuff, she's just fine. Sounds like you have a pretty low-maintenance kitty, which is not a bad thing at all.