Is This Kitty A Torbie? If So, Likely Female?

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I trapped this cute little feral kitty tonight for TNR. I passed up the chance to trap a different cat because I know him to be male (will get him next time, hopefully in a few days), because I believe this kitty to be female and at just about "that age". No one was yowling or fighting, but one male was kind of hanging out nearby while kitty ate and another one chased kitty.

I'm seeing brown tabby with orange patches, and my best guess is that kitty is a torbie. Do you think that's correct? See two pics of kitty in trap, and one very blurry pic of kitty leaving the feeding station last night that shows lighter colored inside leg and dark tail tip.

I won't know kitty's gender until we go for the medical appointment early Tuesday morning. They always ask you to guess anyway though. If this kitty is a torbie, are torbies usually female like torties, or is the torbie pattern not a predictor of gender?

Thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! S/he'll be number seven, and the one I call Cowcat2 will hopefully be eight. There are currently two more (Cowcat and Stacks) who only turn up occasionally so hard to say if I'll get them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with above. Torbie; and thus, almost surely a female.

A black tabby is also called for brown in cat fancy; but yeah, it means she is black as her core color.

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great, thank you! I thought she kind of read as female, which is why I wanted to trap her ASAP. Of course I've been wrong before, I had a black & white family here in 2018 and until I trapped the adults, I was convinced the male was the female and vice versa.:lol: Dad was just so darned pretty! (He's a very spoiled, sweet housecat now, but his female partner is still stand-offish per my friend who adopted them.) I know Cowcat2 is male because I saw him spraying to mark his territory (a pile of weeds in my back yard that I was going to put in the garbage but now I'm just gonna let stay there for a while :lol:).

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trapped this cute little feral kitty tonight for TNR. I passed up the chance to trap a different cat because I know him to be male (will get him next time, hopefully in a few days), because I believe this kitty to be female and at just about "that age". No one was yowling or fighting, but one male was kind of hanging out nearby while kitty ate and another one chased kitty.

I'm seeing brown tabby with orange patches, and my best guess is that kitty is a torbie. Do you think that's correct? See two pics of kitty in trap, and one very blurry pic of kitty leaving the feeding station last night that shows lighter colored inside leg and dark tail tip.

I won't know kitty's gender until we go for the medical appointment early Tuesday morning. They always ask you to guess anyway though. If this kitty is a torbie, are torbies usually female like torties, or is the torbie pattern not a predictor of gender?

Thoughts appreciated!
I would say yes a torbie, it looks like she has some tortie patching among the tabby. Most likely a girl, as the vast majority of torties / calicos are girls and males are rare. Thanks for saving this beauty😻 Females can spray too, my Sybil used to.

Last edited:

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Unfortunately we are kind of falling for her charms. Since she's probably only 6 to 8 months, she still remembers how to meow when she wants something. My adult ferals never made a peep (except for the ones that got socialized, months later). But this girl is complaining about the room service (surgery Tues early morning so food withheld). It's a tall order but I'm at least trying to find a suitable adopter before we have to decide whether to make her our No. 10 cat or turn her loose.

I have a girl with "elevator butt" but I've never had one do the spray marking thing where they hoist the tail, back up, and let it fly. Even if Cowcat2 is female, I'm confident Cowcat2 isn't pregnant or nursing because I've gotten good close looks. I wasn't totally confident about this little one because it's been so hard to look close. But anyway, fingers crossed I find out for certain about Cowcat2 on Tuesday night!