Is this introduction going all right, or do I need to step it back?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are getting there by leaps and bounds, aren't they?
Yes! Yesterday she was being obnoxious, chasing him all the time. Even though it was playful, she was being a jerk and he didn't like it.

Whatever they had to work out, they worked it out, because she hasn't bugged him once today.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And now what we have is pretty cute. It is very, very clear that Willow wants to play with Dude. He's not ready yet, but I think we'll get there.

Dude is full of beans now that he understands that this is his home and he's safe and loved, and he charges around the house in high spirits. Of course, Willow sees this and wants to join in, so she pounces, with her tail up and her ears forward, looking very friendly and nice. She doesn't charge; she just does the pounce in front of Dude and then stops.

Dude has stopped running away from her because he knows now that she means no harm. So the interaction ends with him giving her a little meow, and she just sits down. He won't play with her yet, but it's clear that he no longer sees her as a threat. They're really communicating well. He is less and less hesitant about Willow.

I'm actually starting to think these two cats could become quite fond of each other.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are right. They are comfortable, and have that first layer of trust. I think it will continue to grow from there!

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Willow totally loves her Dude. She just adores him. When she sees him her tail goes up into the friendly cat position, and she's very sweet and gentle with him.

He's not so bold yet, but he allows her to chase him a bit without him getting upset or hissing, and I caught him sneaking up on her tail this morning. They sleep in the same bedroom, sit on the same couch, and eat close to each other. They talk to each other all the time, too, with little quiet churring noises.

Dude gets bolder with us by the day and is now a happy bouncy, exuberant little guy.

It's a good match!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am SO thrilled for you! Job well done, happy ending! They'll have occasional "heated discussions," that's natural for cats once in a while, but the work you've done with them has paid off!

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ten months later, I have two rowdy cats, chasing each other around the house, talking to each other, and obviously enjoying each other's company. They aren't fully friends yet, but every month I see more progress and fewer hissy moments. Willow is far less pesty than she was, and Dude has manned up a bit and gives as good as he gets when she's being a jerk.

I have two middle-aged cats happily enjoying what looks like a second kittenhood together.