Is There A Canned Cat Food Without...

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
guar gum, xanathan gum, carrageenan, clay? I cannot seem to find one. Nature's Variety comes closest but theirs has that clay in it and I prefer to avoid this. Not interested in raw.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Rawz is great. Also Kasiks (First Mate) has no gums or carrageenan as well.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there's Rawz! It's great food, though our cats sometimes love it, sometimes hate it...

There's also Feline Natural, which is expensive but very good food. At least some of Tiki's foods are also gumless and carrageenan-free but many, if not most, have synthetic vitamin K, something I prefer not to feed very often.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up rawz and yep, this looks fantastic.
I read too fast, and saw it listed as "meal free" and read "meat free" at first and was wondering why the H it was being recommended :crazy: I'll call the eye doctor Monday, I swear. :thumbsup:

If worse comes to worse if there's a canned food that's not meant to be fed as a diet, just a topper or an addition (incomplete diet) and a premix you are comfortable with that's meant to be used as a base to balance a raw or cooked diet, combining them might be something to check into. I don't know if pre mixes and canned foods (even if not complete) go together, so take this as an idea to look into, not a suggestion to start right now. :hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The short answer to all this is NO. there is NO canned cat food that does not have some objectionable ingredient. The one possible exception to this is Nature's Variety, but it has a certain kind of clay in it that is supposed to aid digestion...maybe, maybe not. In the end, this is why so many people go to a raw formula.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
The clay you're referring to is montmorillonite clay.

This site can be utilized for those of us who have cats that will not switch foods no matter what;

Pet Food Guide

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The short answer to all this is NO. there is NO canned cat food that does not have some objectionable ingredient. The one possible exception to this is Nature's Variety, but it has a certain kind of clay in it that is supposed to aid digestion...maybe, maybe not. In the end, this is why so many people go to a raw formula.
I'm just curious, myrnafaye myrnafaye , what are the ingredients in Rawz and Feline Natural that you find objectionable? I think those two are pretty good but we feed only one small canned meal a day because we feed mostly commercial raw and homemade cooked foods. Much of the commercial raw food that we feed has that same clay, which I am not thrilled about but our cats love the food (Primal) and sometimes (well, often!) it's cat preferences that win the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lisahe, I wrote that before I discovered Rawz. Rawz looks really good, although I wish these companies also offered kitten formulas. Yuki has been having loose stool; I have him on Nexabiotic and if that does not clear up the problem, I may consider switching him over to Rawz, and will almost certainly do so when he stops needing kitten food.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rawz's "96%" line of canned pate foods meets my standards -- no carrageenan and no gums of any kind, no pea protein, no vegetables, no grains or starches. The only plant-based ingredients are fenugreek seeds (which are used instead of gums as a binder) and dandelion greens (which are used as a source of nutrients, including vitamin K, instead of the synthetic form of that vitamin). And most of the flavors in this line — the obvious exceptions being Turkey & Salmon and Chicken & Herring — are single-protein foods, with only the named protein present. That's something I find valuable, as it makes it easier to know if my cat is reacting to a particular protein.

Rawz is at the higher end of the price range, for all the reasons I just mentioned. It's mostly meat plus the required nutrient supplements; it's not bulked up with less costly ingredients. Buying Rawz is a stretch for my budget — especially since my cat loves and does well on their "novel proteins," rabbit and duck — but it's one that I feel is worth the expense.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are my 3 last night enjoying a little something from the new 'Aujou' line from RAWZ

(note: Geneva doesn't like being around the others, but she happily cleaned her bowl in another room after I stopped filming)
:)
Did you get samples yesterday at the Dog Wash, m3rma1d m3rma1d !? (I don't see those on their site.)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you get samples yesterday at the Dog Wash, m3rma1d m3rma1d !? (I don't see those on their site.)
No actually this was from the samples they sent a couple months ago, but meeting the rep yesterday kicked my butt into finally making the video I'd been procrastinating on for weeks. :flail:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are my 3 last night enjoying a little something from the new 'Aujou' line from RAWZ

(note: Geneva doesn't like being around the others, but she happily cleaned her bowl in another room after I stopped filming)
:)
We have that same cat tree!
Also, how on earth did you train your cats to wait for their food??? I sometimes I feel like I'd be safer feeding a cage full of starving tigers than feeding my own...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rawz's "96%" line of canned pate foods meets my standards -- no carrageenan and no gums of any kind, no pea protein, no vegetables, no grains or starches. The only plant-based ingredients are fenugreek seeds (which are used instead of gums as a binder) and dandelion greens (which are used as a source of nutrients, including vitamin K, instead of the synthetic form of that vitamin). And most of the flavors in this line — the obvious exceptions being Turkey & Salmon and Chicken & Herring — are single-protein foods, with only the named protein present. That's something I find valuable, as it makes it easier to know if my cat is reacting to a particular protein.

Rawz is at the higher end of the price range, for all the reasons I just mentioned. It's mostly meat plus the required nutrient supplements; it's not bulked up with less costly ingredients. Buying Rawz is a stretch for my budget — especially since my cat loves and does well on their "novel proteins," rabbit and duck — but it's one that I feel is worth the expense.
One of the few green things our cats will chomp at are whole dandelion leaves. It has medicinal properties too, which is a plus. :thumbsup:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
We have that same cat tree!
Also, how on earth did you train your cats to wait for their food??? I sometimes I feel like I'd be safer feeding a cage full of starving tigers than feeding my own...
Usually Tallulah is crawling up my leg with needle claws as I make up their bowls in the kitchen... I guess it threw her off a bit when I was making them up at the tree,so I bought a little time.... But as you can see, she caught on fast and dove in before I was "ready".
As for the other two--Train? Nah. Geneva is just weird, and Alasdair is just a very good boi.
:flail: