Is my pregnant cat nesting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think that's why he was around, since we live in a building and we're on the 5th floor, I just saw him walking past on the street next to my building.

I was worried but I don't think she's in heat anymore because she always used to do that kind of behavior and she's really calm now so I really hope it stopped or never started.

He drank a little bit of milk, wouldn't eat anything else. I'll try the warm towel in the morning, I gotta go to sleep now. Thanks for the tip!

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course I kept them separated, the last thing I need is another pregnancy while she's nursing. [emoji]128514[/emoji] I found him a home today though, someone to take him to the vet and take care of him, which is good because he wouldn't eat and I didn't have the money for the vet. He's a very sweet cat, very beautiful as well but needs cleaning.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is very kind of you to find a good home for the male cat. You have the heart of a true rescuer. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe, thank you. [emoji]10084[/emoji]

Question. There are 2 kittens in my area that need a lactating mother. One I think is very small, only a little bit older than my kittens, and one is about 3 weeks.

The one that's 3 weeks old, can it hurt Cheetos' kittens while they are nursing if it's fighting for a nipple? And would Cheetos accept it? Also, is it advisable in general, to bring in kittens from outside the litter to nurse?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can always try. Cheetos may or may not accept them. Some moms do and some don't. If she does not, then they will need hand rearing until they are weaned to solids.

How many good, functioning nipples does Cheetos have right now? You don't want your own currently healthy kittens fighting for nipples due to newbies, nor do you want newbies getting no milk because they are getting pushed away, even if Cheetos does accept them.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she has 6 that they already fight a lot over, and my mom isn't fond of the idea of extra kittens. I think I'll keep them with their fosters, I don't have the time to feed them myself. :/

I think 3 are males and one is female. I'm not experienced with this. [emoji]128514[/emoji] I was able to take pictures of the areas of two of them. The gray looks male and the blonde female to me. What do you think? Sorry it isn't very clear. I was trying to hurry before she saw me.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Speaking of which, the male cat was taken to a vet today. He had serious infections in his blood, was dehydrated and full of fleas. The poor thing. He was kept at the vet's office for treatment tonight. He started eating a bit a few hours ago. Poor thing. I hope he makes it. [emoji]128532[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You know, I wondered if he had infections. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

A healthy stray who is starving will just wolf food down. I'm relieved to hear that he is at the vet. Some strong antibiotics, good food, love, and time will hopefully heal him. I'm rooting for him! [emoji]128062[/emoji]

I agree with your decision not to take the fosters at this point. Do begin saving for Cheetos to get spayed eventually though.

I also agree that the blonde is female and the gray is male. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is so beautiful and sweet. I really hope he makes it. He was obviously thrown out by his previous owners. I don't know how people can do that to their pet. I would be devastated if he didn't make it.

Yes, I'm saving for that. I will never in my life witness another cat labor if I can help it. Christ. [emoji]128514[/emoji]

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing I noticed about that male is that those bald patches on him look like he possible could have the mange.  I am glad he is no longer in your care.  He does look like once he is well and healthy again, he will be a beautiful red tabby.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thing I noticed about that male is that those bald patches on him look like he possible could have the mange.  I am glad he is no longer in your care.  He does look like once he is well and healthy again, he will be a beautiful red tabby.
I agree that he will be beautiful once he gets better. And I told the woman who took him that about the bald patches (I never noticed them myself) and she said she'd look into it with the vet. Thanks!

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that he will be beautiful once he gets better. And I told the woman who took him that about the bald patches (I never noticed them myself) and she said she'd look into it with the vet. Thanks!
Good idea to get those patches checked out!!  I personally have no experience with an animal having the mange, but I do watch shows on the television that deal with animals, and I remember one of Cesar Milan working with a "dog catcher" of sorts on an episode and there was a stray dog who had bald patches like that cat is showing and Cesar's take on that dog's appearance was that it looked like mange to him.  FYI, the mange is VERY contagious by the way, so those people need to be careful until the vet can make his diagnosis!!  Best to be safe.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's been staying at the vet's anyway, he's too sick to be home yet. )):

When do kittens open their eyes? And when does the color of their eyes show? They're growing so quickly, it's so cute.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eyes usually open by 14 days. Kittens have blue eyes for several weeks until they change to their permanent color, which is generally green. Siamese cats always have blue eyes. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I was allowed to rescue kittens all the time. It's so fun watching them grow. [emoji]128517[/emoji]

Thanks! That means about 1 week left. [emoji]128525[/emoji]

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They keep crawling out of the box and Cheetos isn't putting them back in. I need to sleep but I don't want them to crawl on the floor and get cold, nor do I want her carrying them back in all the time as she might hurt them.

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents bred dogs when I was a teenager. They always had a box that had an edge that was high enough so the puppies couldn't get out but low enough so that the momma could.
I did the same with my cat's nest.
Could you try to put something in front of where they are escaping?
That's my suggestion. [emoji]128542[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you'll need a box with sides until they are 3 weeks old. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mange is actually tiny bugs - too small to see with the naked eye.  The vet will probably give some sort of soap or something - that's what I would assume anyway.  I know cows are sometimes dipped to get rid of mange.  Just interesting little tidbit.