Is my pregnant cat nesting?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm new here obviously :)
So my cat is pregnant and her eigth week should be ending between tomorrow and tuesday, not quite sure of the exact date she got pregnant. When should she be giving birth? Another week? We're really excited for the kittens and hoping she gives birth by Thursday-Friday because I start school on Saturday.
Also, whatever you say about spaying you're completely right, I should've spayed her but the thing is we live in a kinda closed off area so people aren't really educated about this type of thing. I didn't do online research because a lot of the time online information screwed me over, I decided I'd just call the vet. I told him Cheetos was in heat and asked about what to do and he told me to either spay her or get her a male so that she'd get pregnant. Now I realize I shouldn't be calling this vet anymore because he didn't educate me or warn me about any precautions that should be taken or the dangers of pregnancy. At that point since he told me getting her pregnant wouldn't do her harm I chose it since at the time I didn't have the money to spay her (costs a lot here, about 400$) and I thought it would be mean to since she had no say in it. As I said, now I know I was wrong and I do feel guilty but it happened and no one in my house tolerares abortion so I won't be doing that. I'll get her spayed as soon as her babies are weaned. So I hope you understand, we all make mistakes. :) She's 1 year old and a doll faced Persian, by the way.
Anyway, we got her a box to deliver in and she has barely gotten into it which is unlike her because she adores cardboard boxes. However yesterday I saw her sniffing and scratching the box, is that nesting behaviour?
She seems to like a spot in the corner of the porch but I don't know if that means anything since she's always liked it. And another spot behind a TV, which I really really don't want her giving birth in but I can't confine her out of it since it's in the middle of the living room and I don't know when she's giving birth. She's huge, though, I think there should be about 5 in there and I can feel them moving. I don't see her particularly keen on one spot, but she's gotten unbelievably intolerant of closed doors these two days. She's never been like this. She scratches at doors and waits in front of them until we open them, then she goes in and sniffs around then gets back out. She's also been licking her belly and vulva vigorously.
How long do you think she has left? Is she nesting? There's dried white stuff on her nipples and it doesn't come off easily unless you rub it gently with a washcloth.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like nesting behavior. It could be anywhere from 1-7or more days. It just depends on her. But from what you've told us, it sounds like it will be soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The white on her nipples is dried milk. Do not rub it off.

After the kittens are born, give us your city and state and we can search for a nearby low-cost spay clinic.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The white on her nipples is dried milk. Do not rub it off.

After the kittens are born, give us your city and state and we can search for a nearby low-cost spay clinic.
That would help a lot, thank you!

But if the white is dried milk, why is it that when I gently squeeze her nipples no milk is secreted?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's because her milk is not all the way in. Please do not squeeze her nipples.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's because her milk is not all the way in. Please do not squeeze her nipples.
I see. I saw it in a video so I thought it was okay, sorry.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again. This is a different issue and I'm a very paranoid person concerning her health because I love her a lot.

So I was pretty sure she was pregnant because her nipples were pink and I felt the lumps and sometimes I felt kicks. Now I still feel the lumps (counted 4-5 but not sure) but I'm not really sure if what I'm feeling is them moving or something else because I don't know what it's supposed to feel like. If they are moving, it's very little movement and this being her ninth week I thought it should be more. Her nipples are pinker now than they were when she wasn't pregnant and they have white stuff on them (was told that's dried milk) but they aren't as pink as they were in her third and fourth week. And she's on her ninth week so they should be bigger than they look. Again, they look a bit larger and pinker than usual but they're not ninth-week pregnant cat big. I'm scared she's not actually pregnant and has some sort of tumor in her uterus or the babies died/are dying. Could that be? She's a doll faced Persian and I heard Persians have more pregnancy problems than other breeds. I have a vet appointment for Tuesday, couldn't get her in earlier, but for now I'm just confused and worried? She's very tired lately.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens move less at the end of pregnancy as they are more crowded because they are bigger, and at some point they drop lower into the birth canal and move even less.

Near-term pregnant cats are very uncomfortable and tired, and sleep a lot.

I don't think there's cause for concern right now. I think the vet will reassure you too.

Please use this thread for all your questions.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Another question.

We had her checked for worms before she got pregnant, but now I see worms on her butt and she has a few more days until delivery so I'm freaking out and I don't know what to do. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow since he was closed today. I'm worried it's hurting the kittens. Is there anything that can be done? My teacher told me it's because she's eating so much wet food since she's pregnant.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, will the vet need to see a sample of the worms or is it enough to just tell him about them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those are tapeworms from ingesting fleas. They will not harm the kittens. The vet can safely treat for those, as well as apply flea medicine.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet today and he said the same thing, only he says it's safer to wait two weeks after she gives birth to treat her for the tapeworms.

A few minutes ago something started happening that I've never seen her do before, it was like her body (stomach) jolting and she was making weird sounds from her throat (not meowing or sneezing or any of that). It kept happening for a minute then stopped. Now she's acting normal, lying down and licking her hands.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could have been the kittens moving, or a pre-labor contraction. Hard to say.

Now that you've seen the vet, he should be able to give you the worm meds without having to bring her back in again for them.

Did you get Advantage II to treat for fleas? It's much easier to get rid of them now than when they are on the kittens too.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The fleas were treated but he said that it's preferable to treat her with worm meds after birth. Should I get a second opinion from another vet?

I've looked around for Advantage since I've heard a lot about it on here but I never found it. The thing is, I live in the Middle East and it's very difficult to find products like that here. Can it be ordered online?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand you will treat her for worms after she gives birth. If Amazon delivers where you live, you can order online. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amazon doesn't deliver here, I think I'll just ask my relatives in Florida to send me some.

She was treated for fleas but I want to get Advantage II since she's very furry and I want to be ready if fleas reappear. And yes, I'll have her treated when she gives birth.
Thank you so much for your help! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the worms are small, white (looking like grains of rice) those are caused by ingesting fleas and the Advantage will not kill them.  You need something that targets them specifically.  Google "worms in cats" and see if you see a pic similiar to what you see.  I use Drontal for those worms (available on Amazon or most pet stores).

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the worms are small, white (looking like grains of rice) those are caused by ingesting fleas and the Advantage will not kill them.  You need something that targets them specifically.  Google "worms in cats" and see if you see a pic similiar to what you see.  I use Drontal for those worms (available on Amazon or most pet stores).
She was already treated for the fleas and I'm treating her for the worms after she gives birth, thanks for the help! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed her vulva has gotten bigger and more pronounced. There's a bit of white discharge. Is the discharge abnormal or does it just mean she's close?

Also, she was scratching and shoving her head into my brother's shoes. Is it nesting behavior? My brother's shoes are obviously not big enough for her to give birth in [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Last edited: