Is my kitten overweight?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, she looks completely perfect.

What are you feeding her and how frequently through the day? Does she get lots of exercise?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, she looks completely perfect.

What are you feeding her and how frequently through the day? Does she get lots of exercise?
I’m glad to hear, that’s a big relief! I feed her Orijen Original Cat (dry) about 3 times per day (morning, evening and night) and make sure to give her Weruva BFF OMG (wet) from time to time, but I’m going to switch her schedule a bit to incorporate dry food mixed with water during the morning and night and wet food during the evening.

She gets quite a bit of exercise, I make sure to play with her and she runs around a lot (her favourite game that I play with her almost daily is me throwing a crinkle ball and she goes after it!) Although some day she gets less exercise than others..

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m glad to hear, that’s a big relief! I feed her Orijen Original Cat (dry) about 3 times per day (morning, evening and night) and make sure to give her Weruva BFF OMG (wet) from time to time, but I’m going to switch her schedule a bit to incorporate dry food mixed with water during the morning and night and wet food during the evening.

She gets quite a bit of exercise, I make sure to play with her and she runs around a lot (her favourite game that I play with her almost daily is me throwing a crinkle ball and she goes after it!) Although some day she gets less exercise than others..
She looks fine to me. Just like people,I go by how I look,not how much I weigh. Course I weigh 150 size 6 pants probably because of my crummy diet
She looks fine to me. Just like people,I go by how I look,not how much I weigh. Course I weigh 150 size 6 pants probably because of my crummy diet
Im glad to hear she looks fine!! Thank you ! :D

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Although I suspect the reason why she is 8 pounds is because, as a first-time cat owner, I was so worried of feeding her too little that even when it wasn’t time for it to be refilled, I’d fill up her bowl a little whenever she’d go to it, and ended up feeding her too much. But I know now that is something I shouldn’t do so I’ll make sure to not do so!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m going to switch her schedule a bit to incorporate dry food mixed with water during the morning and night and wet food during the evening.
This sounds good 👍
Keep in mind that kittens need to eat a lot to support the growth they are going through :)

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh she's a beauty! And she looks perfect. Could be a sign that she's going to be a big girl once she becomes a cat, but she doesn't look overweight at all. Since she's still a kitten, I wouldn't stress so much about her weight and just make sure she's happy. 😀

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You can leave canned food out all day along with some dry food. Wettng dry food encourages harmful bacteria to grow in the kibble pieces. Canned food is a cooked product can so it's fine to leave out all day. A programmable timed feeder will allow you to leave out portion sized meals which will likely be eaten up right away so no worries about bacteria.

Kittens are hungry eating machines so there's no worry about them getting fat :)

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh she's a beauty! And she looks perfect. Could be a sign that she's going to be a big girl once she becomes a cat, but she doesn't look overweight at all. Since she's still a kitten, I wouldn't stress so much about her weight and just make sure she's happy. 😀
Thank you so much, that’s very relieving to hear!!!

cattoyaya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can leave canned food out all day along with some dry food. Wettng dry food encourages harmful bacteria to grow in the kibble pieces. Canned food is a cooked product can so it's fine to leave out all day. A programmable timed feeder will allow you to leave out portion sized meals which will likely be eaten up right away so no worries about bacteria.

Kittens are hungry eating machines so there's no worry about them getting fat :)
Thank you so much for the advice! I won’t wet her dry food then to avoid bacteria growth. Thank you for the advice again, I’ll definitely keep these things in mind. :)