Is My Cats Incision Healing Properly?

Donnie8986

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
06911346-08DD-40DD-B024-55160682A335.jpeg
My cat got spayed November 14th 2018. She has had on her soft cone every day since then except for when I take it off so she can clean herself. On the third day of her surgery however I found that while I was sleeping she had taken it off (I put it around her neck loosely). I looked at her incision and it looked a little red with some blood poking out. When I poke the incision carefully it feels hard but she does not meow on pain. Is this something to worry about? I have attached a picture of how it looks at the moment.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It almost looks normal but it seems a little pinker than it should be, perhaps the stitches are coming apart in the center? That looks almost like a hole, but maybe it is just dried blood. Usually you can just have the vet take a peek shortly after the surgery to check how it looks. They shouldn't charge you much, if anything at all just to reassure you it is fine. However if it isn't she may need some additional antibiotics in case it is a bit infected.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have her in for a vet check, just to be safe. If the incision is starting to open up, or she is developing a bit of an infection its much easier to take care of the sooner the vet sees her.

Do keep us updated on your girl!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have her in for a vet check, just to be safe. If the incision is starting to open up, or she is developing a bit of an infection its much easier to take care of the sooner the vet sees her.

Do keep us updated on your girl!
I would, too.
If a clinic did the spay, they should be happy to do a re-check if you're concerned and most low cost clinic's we've dealt with have (in bold, for emphasis!) written in their go-home sheet to call them with any concerns.
Blood leaking out would concern me a little, because if blood can get out, infection can get in. Best to get this checked out now, if she needs antibiotics or an antibiotic cream, it will be best to attack it now rather than wait. Plus, it will be way cheaper to handle it preventative vs. treating an infection and the risks.

Did they tell you if she has dissolving stitches, or (some vets use) glue?
I'd give them a call. If they have a doctor or tech that does texting, text them a photo and everything you wrote about here and see what they say.

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a vet tech at a low-cost spay and neuter clinic. It looks like a seroma is starting to form. A seroma is a pocket of clear fluid under the skin. Has she been very playful and active?

With all that said, I do still recommend seeing your vet for a recheck. It never hurts to be safe when it comes to these things.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Donnie8986 Donnie8986 and little girl to TCS! Other posters have great links and suggestions, the very best of which is to get in touch with her vet right away, and send them a pic. Please keep us informed, won't you? And all the BEST to her and to you!