Introduction Advice

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lick, lick bite is a cat affection into play thing. Its like eating a tootsie roll, it just happens. Sometimes the big cats bite hard enough to make the little ones squeal while pinning them and sometimes its to teach them boundaries and not for play, but its all normal and fine. At its worst, its like a big brother giving a little brother a noogie or indian sunburn. Big cats dont bite kittens for real, but if the kitten was being hurt, you'd see the kitten avoid the big cat at all times, not just during rough play. Sounds like this doesn't even rise to the level of the kitten noticing it yet, so its a purely good thing I'd say.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Waffles does that to Mooshoo sometimes, it looks harmless and looks to be some affection; sometimes I think there may be a little dominance mixed in there but there's no damage or aggression. If Mooshoo doesn't like it she will hiss at Waffles- "knock it off, bud."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback! Glad to know the lick-bite shouldn't be a cause for concern.

How about this one? Isabelle has been walking up to both kittens, sticking her nose on their butts like she is smelling them, and then hissing/growling at them... Is she trying to tell them their butts stink?? :lol: Or is she being overly aggressive or is this normal/okay communication again?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, I don't really understand that one too well. The other day someone was complaining their neutered big cat was really really all up in their kittens butt and genital area. I mean, cats aren't so different from dogs, sniffing is something they do now and then, but doing it a lot and growling is beyond me. Whacky :flail:

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will help. If not, just treat it like a cat thing. Not everything they do can be parsed. Its unlikely to be a real problem.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
All I know is what mine have done, the butt sniff is a "getting to know you" thing like dogs do, normal- then my guess is the growl is Isabelle saying "I'm still wary of you, we're not good buddies yet. Be aware of that. Even though I walked up to you."

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things have been going well. Isabelle has been growling and hissing much, much less. Now it is normally just a half-hearted growl, but she still gets grouchy in the mornings right before they get fed. She has become her usual cuddly self and even jumped up on me when coaxed (she looked like she came over to cuddle with me) despite Katrina being next to me on the couch. <3

One morning Katrina was laying on my legs and Isabelle jumped up on the bed and laid on my back without growling, etc. towards Katrina. Isabelle was also very calm when Katrina tried to get in her face and touch noises, too! So she is definitely getting used to the kittens more. No cuddling between Isabelle and the kitties, but very happy with the progress.

The kittens are getting spayed at the end of this week, so Issie will have some time alone as I'll probably keep Isabelle in the living room/kitchen/loft area and the kitties in the bedroom so they do not have access to the cat tree and ladder loft while healing.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Things have been going well. Isabelle has been growling and hissing much, much less. Now it is normally just a half-hearted growl, but she still gets grouchy in the mornings right before they get fed. She has become her usual cuddly self and even jumped up on me when coaxed (she looked like she came over to cuddle with me) despite Katrina being next to me on the couch. <3

One morning Katrina was laying on my legs and Isabelle jumped up on the bed and laid on my back without growling, etc. towards Katrina. Isabelle was also very calm when Katrina tried to get in her face and touch noises, too! So she is definitely getting used to the kittens more. No cuddling between Isabelle and the kitties, but very happy with the progress.

The kittens are getting spayed at the end of this week, so Issie will have some time alone as I'll probably keep Isabelle in the living room/kitchen/loft area and the kitties in the bedroom so they do not have access to the cat tree and ladder loft while healing.
:hyper::hyper::bliss:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Really glad to read that things are progressing well. And don't want to dampen the excitement, but wanted to mention that sometimes when one cat goes to the vet and comes home smelling differently, the other cat doesn't recognize them. Here's a TCS article that explains it: How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

Hopefully that won't happen with your cats, but wanted to be sure you were aware of the possibility that your introductions may take a bit of a slide backwards when the kittens comes back from the vet.

But since you'll be keeping them separated while the kittens heal, you can probably just continue the introductions as you've been doing. Good luck.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sooo, there was an adorable moment earlier after arriving home. All the cats came to see me and Katrina was head butting Isabelle on the sides of her face, haha. No growling, surprisingly, even though Isabelle did not reciprocate and tried walking away.

And a bit later, Isabelle was cuddling on my lap on the couch. Katrina jumped up by my feet to lay down and Pursia was on the back of the couch closer to my feet. Issie growled a tiny bit when Katrina jumped up, but them calmed down and was purring while I pet her and closed her eyes. BUT THEN Katrina started pawing at Isabelle's wagging tail, and Isabelle became irritated, turned around, and smacked the first kitten she saw multiple times: Pursia. Poor thing, Pursia was so confused and slow to react, and my instinct was to place my hand as a barrier to stop Isabelle, haha. Still, there was progress having all three cats on the couch.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the kittens were picked up from spaying on Friday and have been in the bedroom. Isabelle seemed really interested and worried to get inside the bedroom to say hi, so I let her for a few minutes. She went up to sniff and lick both of them in a really relaxed way, and then went to sniff where the dry food is normally kept. I felt anxiety spread in my body and tried to stay calm, not sure if something triggered it. I guess I know Isabelle might get frustrated with smelling food she can't eat? Katrina got closer to her and Isabelle hissed, and I was worried Isabelle felt my anxiety and that put her on edge, UGH. After that I encouraged Isabelle to leave the room. Some other times that Isabelle is interested in going in the bedroom, I've cracked the door open, but she has started growling or hissing, and not sure if she is frustrated she can't go in the bedroom.

I'm going to swap beds, etc. to keep the scent switch up. I believe the kitties may need at least a week to heal? The living room has the large cat tree and a ladder up to the loft, so keeping them in the bedroom will ensure they cannot access those while healing. I may end up sleeping on the pull out couch again as Isabelle gets antsy when I sleep in the bedroom with the kittens (I just had to for the first night after the spay and maybe tonight?), and it's probably not helping with making her accept them as easily.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's a TCS article that may be helpful:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, ya know, just everyone on the pull out bed with me, grooming and resting. Always makes me relieved to see things like this. And the kitties are so close to Issie!

Isabelle was also in the bedroom with the kitties and I last night, and it went so much better than expected. I thought she'd try to chase the kitties off the bed, but didn't. Despite Isabelle's growling, she jumped up on the bed while the kitties were by my legs and feet, and Isabelle climbed up on my back. She growled while standing on my back, laid down and growled some more, and then quieted. She was on the bed with me almost all night, along with the kitties. <3

I may also have caught Isabelle playing with the kitties as she swiped at Katrina without growling while she was hiding in a cube when Katrina walked by. There has still been much growling and some swatting, but more okay/good moments.
IMG_20191017_164626.jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had to share: light contact today!!! Everything was great until the kitties decided to start lightly wrestling with each other and Isabelle felt Katrina squirming, haha. Then she started growling. <3 Isabelle also was grooming herself and Katrina earlier, and afterwards laid down to sleep again, and was only an inch or two away from Katrina.
DSC_0708.JPG

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still having positive moments and cranky moment with Isabelle and the kittens, but still making progress. There have been more times when Isabelle has jumped up on my lap on the couch to cuddle while a kitty was already on the couch, or she come up first and the kitties later. My favorite was Isabelle in my lap, then Persia climbing into my arms and I held her. Then Katrina climbed over my shoulder and half laid on Persia, who was still in my arms, and half on my chest, haha. <3

Below are a few pictures of Isabelle and Persia with me on the couch. At first there was space between Isabelle and Persia (first pic), then Isabelle must have slide and was touching/on Persia... Isabelle seems to notice when it is picture time in these good moments because she notices me and starts growling at the kittens. She growled at Persia and then started smacking her, and Persia was just laying there being relaxed, like what are you doing? and staring at Isabelle, LoL. Persia is so patient with her... Isabelle ended up jumping down after that.

Also below are some pictures of Persia and Katrina cuddling on my lap where Katrina laid right over Persia, haha.
IMG_20191024_161827.jpg
IMG_20191024_164443.jpg
IMG_20191024_164510.jpg
IMG_20191022_165851.jpg
IMG_20191022_165919.jpg
IMG_20191022_165829.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still having positive moments and cranky moment with Isabelle and the kittens, but still making progress. There have been more times when Isabelle has jumped up on my lap on the couch to cuddle while a kitty was already on the couch, or she come up first and the kitties later. My favorite was Isabelle in my lap, then Persia climbing into my arms and I held her. Then Katrina climbed over my shoulder and half laid on Persia, who was still in my arms, and half on my chest, haha. <3

Below are a few pictures of Isabelle and Persia with me on the couch. At first there was space between Isabelle and Persia (first pic), then Isabelle must have slide and was touching/on Persia... Isabelle seems to notice when it is picture time in these good moments because she notices me and starts growling at the kittens. She growled at Persia and then started smacking her, and Persia was just laying there being relaxed, like what are you doing? and staring at Isabelle, LoL. Persia is so patient with her... Isabelle ended up jumping down after that.

Also below are some pictures of Persia and Katrina cuddling on my lap where Katrina laid right over Persia, haha.
View attachment 305259View attachment 305260View attachment 305261View attachment 305262View attachment 305264View attachment 305265
Such big-eyed colorful beauties!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm dying right now, and partially because my left leg and toes have fallen asleep and I don't want to move.... haha. Despite Isabelle growling every now and then, she has not gotten up and left, despite Persia and her touching <3 She's been so cranky lately, but then this happened, and it feels like everything is right in the world.

DSC_0775.JPG
DSC_0776.JPG
DSC_0766.JPG
DSC_0760.JPG
DSC_0780.JPG

Attachments