Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! InstaCart!
“You loaded up your cart with stuff you want and your shopper is going to replace it all with stuff you don’t.”

If it weren’t for Instacart, I wouldn’t know how awful Vlassic pickles are. How did the store NOT have Claussen?

Im probably damaging my stomach or my liver crossing the NSAID streams. I took an Advil because my headache and body aches had returned. Then as I was unloading my groceries, I noticed my sinus meds from the morning were actually helping earlier and not so much anymore. And my choices for sinus meds are: DayQuil or Theraflu which both contain Acetaminophen or a la carte which includes a decongestant with a gut bomb of an expectorant. That one has me doubled over for awhile after taking it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I thought I was done with meds. My body said otherwise. I think I’ve just been awake too long. Betty thinks so too. She sat with me briefly. Then resumed her busy sleep schedule for the day.

I did an Instacart. That’s enough for today. I’m taking a Benadryl and sleeping off the afternoon.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! InstaCart!
“You loaded up your cart with stuff you want and your shopper is going to replace it all with stuff you don’t.”

If it weren’t for Instacart, I wouldn’t know how awful Vlassic pickles are. How did the store NOT have Claussen?

Im probably damaging my stomach or my liver crossing the NSAID streams. I took an Advil because my headache and body aches had returned. Then as I was unloading my groceries, I noticed my sinus meds from the morning were actually helping earlier and not so much anymore. And my choices for sinus meds are: DayQuil or Theraflu which both contain Acetaminophen or a la carte which includes a decongestant with a gut bomb of an expectorant. That one has me doubled over for awhile after taking it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I thought I was done with meds. My body said otherwise. I think I’ve just been awake too long. Betty thinks so too. She sat with me briefly. Then resumed her busy sleep schedule for the day.

I did an Instacart. That’s enough for today. I’m taking a Benadryl and sleeping off the afternoon.
I agree. If you're not at a deli, Claussen are the Rolls Royce of pickles. Some of my most cherished memories are of going with my mom, my best friend and her mom to a deli nearby us for corned beef on rye with amazing pickle, and chocolate phosphates. Sometimes vanilla.
Hoping your Therapist is close by. :hearthrob: :zzzcat::hearthrob:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Claussen are the best pickles... Many shoppers do not know that they are kept in the special deli refrigerated section of the grocery store. I do like Mt Olive pickles, better than Vlasic, in my opinion.

During our Covid full quarantine, I was forced to use InstaCart for groceries. I could not leave my apartment. Everyone was frightened.
The first time, I had an excellent, experienced shopper. I was sold on the service. After that, it was mostly miss, rather than hit. I even had to ask for a refund on moldy cucumbers, and stuff. It was a bad experience, but when you are stuck, you are stuck... It IS something to keep, just in case......

Thankfully, I did not need them for prescriptions. My pharmacy had free delivery service.. As far as I know, it is still in existence. It was limited to once a week. I think they have since, expanded it.
That is one reason why I will not leave my pharmacy..

When you live alone, you have to find ways.. unfortunately. living with the negatives of it also.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Claussen are the best pickles... Many shoppers do not know that they are kept in the special deli refrigerated section of the grocery store. I do like Mt Olive pickles, better than Vlasic, in my opinion.

During our Covid full quarantine, I was forced to use InstaCart for groceries. I could not leave my apartment. Everyone was frightened.
The first time, I had an excellent, experienced shopper. I was sold on the service. After that, it was mostly miss, rather than hit. I even had to ask for a refund on moldy cucumbers, and stuff. It was a bad experience, but when you are stuck, you are stuck... It IS something to keep, just in case......

Thankfully, I did not need them for prescriptions. My pharmacy had free delivery service.. As far as I know, it is still in existence. It was limited to once a week. I think they have since, expanded it.
That is one reason why I will not leave my pharmacy..

When you live alone, you have to find ways.. unfortunately. living with the negatives of it also.
True. Pros and cons on both ways (living alone vs. living with others).
Vlasic pickles are not very good. I'll eat them if I have to, but Claussen are far better and yes, they're in the refrigerated section!,
Even shopping in person, stuff happens. I like these little sweet peppers in salads. I buy the cheaper ones when I can, and the organic ones if I have to, which I did last time. I open them, and around 1/3 are moldy. I check them in the package, and there wasn't anything suspicious about them. But I had to throw a bunch away. At today's prices, that's not good. My store has a policy since COVID of no refunds, period. It changed to bring it in within 3 days, and you might get one. It's been more than 3 days. :sigh:🌶 Oh well.
Got my delivery from Petco over the past 2 days. They included a case of food I didn't order and am not at all sure Elvis will eat. It doesn't show on my items list so we'll see what happens with the charges.
How hard is it for people to just do the right thing? None of this is rocket science...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bubbies pickles are tastier and more deli authentic than Claussen. But they are also crisper. Cold plus crisp hurts my teeth. So Claussen is something I can enjoy without feeling the chill to the bone.

I can’t complain too much about Instacart. In the months before vaccines, that was how I often did groceries. I put others in harm’s way and tipped them well for the privilege. But now I’m a pariah and no one wants me leaving my home. So it’s back to Instacart. And I ordered a case of A/D and that arrived today. And earlier this week I ordered more capsules for Betty’s repacked tic tac and those arrived today. The pandemic has made it easier to live alone—except for the existential threat of a rapidly mutating and highly transmissible virus that is evading immunity. 😬🤦🏼‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bubbies pickles are tastier and more deli authentic than Claussen. But they are also crisper. Cold plus crisp hurts my teeth. So Claussen is something I can enjoy without feeling the chill to the bone.

I can’t complain too much about Instacart. In the months before vaccines, that was how I often did groceries. I put others in harm’s way and tipped them well for the privilege. But now I’m a pariah and no one wants me leaving my home. So it’s back to Instacart. And I ordered a case of A/D and that arrived today. And earlier this week I ordered more capsules for Betty’s repacked tic tac and those arrived today. The pandemic has made it easier to live alone—except for the existential threat of a rapidly mutating and highly transmissible virus that is evading immunity. 😬🤦🏼‍♂️
Agree 100%! I've felt much less like some kind of basement-dwelling alien since COVID, actually. Except I'm not an Instacart fan. Really glad my roomie takes me shopping. Stuff is more expensive delivered.
I haven't had the pleasure of Bubbies Pickles! but I like the texture of Claussen's and the flavor is wondrous. REALLY similar to the Rothbard's Deli ones I loved, better than our local Billy's Deli and lots better than Canter's in Fairfax district.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane Margot Lane : "Can't hoit!"
Pickle delivery. Now THERE's an idea whose time has definitely come. Because when you need a pickle, YOU NEED A PICKLE.:crackup:🥒
*I don't think Betty would be too interested, unless it's CATNIP pickle delivery. Or even catnip and/or silvervine.*:hearthrob::happycat::hearthrob:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you're both doing okay! I'm sorry to hear Instacart has been so, hm, quirky. I used them a bit early in the pandemic but much preferred Target's delivery (!), which I still use for lots of basic things, grocery and otherwise. If you have a local Target with a grocery department that might be an option.

I hope you're feeling better today, daftcat75 daftcat75 ! All those antihistamines are brutal.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure which of the OTC drugs (or all of them?) is punching a hole in my stomach. But I’m finally at a point where I feel like I can at least try to tough it out without meds today. Except guaifenesin—a known gut puncher. If I’m going to take a decongestant/antihistamine break, I need to make sure whatever drips where it shouldn’t will get appropriately thinned out so I don’t get a brutal tight cough. My stomach pain got so bad yesterday that I considered (still considering) taking some of Betty’s sucralfate to coat my stomach. But then I’d have to get myself on the awfully inconvenient dosing schedule of no food or meds one hour before sucralfate or two hours after. Instead, I found some Pepto Bismol.

I still have sick head (cloud head.). And there’s just enough sinus junk to make me consider a DayQuil shot but not enough that I have taken that shot yet. If at all possible, I want to see if I can avoid acetaminophen and ibuprofen for the day to see if my stomach feels better and my appetite improves. I’ve been eating about 1/3 to 1/2 what I normally eat. I can’t smell much because of congestion. But I believe I can still taste everything I could the week before. 🤞

Last night was the first night since I got this that I didn’t feel like bundling inside my winter pjs inside a bathrobe and under all the blankets I could muster. The fever I never had must have finally broken. I did still sleep under more blankets than is appropriate for this time of year.

Although I feel like I’m making progress towards recovery. This also feels like a stubbornly long tail (still have cloud head) to get through. 🤧😔🤕

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think it is the Advil which is doing a number on your stomach. I can only take one or two tablets for a couple of doses, before I have gastric distress.

I use Tylenol Arthritis strength. It is better for my tummy. And I make sure I eat something when I take medicine. Even if it is only a scoop of peanut butter.. Better to be safe than sorry.
I have a history of gastric reflux and take omeprazole twice a day.

Glad you are feeling a bit better.. Remember, it seems like a lifetime, that you have been sick. But.. you have Covid, which could have been so much worse, had you not been vaccinated and boosted.. It has not been a full week yet..
Wait until Monday, before thinking the worse. You are making a ton of progress towards a full recovery..

And Betty is nursing you back to help.. Those cat purrs are magical.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think it is the Advil which is doing a number on your stomach. I can only take one or two tablets for a couple of doses, before I have gastric distress.

I use Tylenol Arthritis strength. It is better for my tummy. And I make sure I eat something when I take medicine. Even if it is only a scoop of peanut butter.. Better to be safe than sorry.
I have a history of gastric reflux and take omeprazole twice a day.

Glad you are feeling a bit better.. Remember, it seems like a lifetime, that you have been sick. But.. you have Covid, which could have been so much worse, had you not been vaccinated and boosted.. It has not been a full week yet..
Wait until Monday, before thinking the worse. You are making a ton of progress towards a full recovery..

And Betty is nursing you back to help.. Those cat purrs are magical.
Oh I know it could have been worse. But I’m still worried about long Covid. I am making daily progress. But it seems like cloud head is lingering longer than I would expect. Usually my cloud head clears when the fever breaks (the fever I never had), and it’s just a long tail of respiratory symptoms for another week or so. That I still have cloud head and still want to bundle up (not as much but I’m back in warm pjs again) has me worried that something might linger longer.

To be honest, I haven’t had a fever or cold in over two years. The closest to sick I’ve been until this was two after-vaccine reactions that cleared up in 36 to 48 hours. I don’t remember anymore how long cold/flus last or the normal progression.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I know it could have been worse. But I’m still worried about long Covid. I am making daily progress. But it seems like cloud head is lingering longer than I would expect. Usually my cloud head clears when the fever breaks (the fever I never had), and it’s just a long tail of respiratory symptoms for another week or so. That I still have cloud head and still want to bundle up (not as much but I’m back in warm pjs again) has me worried that something might linger longer.

To be honest, I haven’t had a fever or cold in over two years. The closest to sick I’ve been until this was two after-vaccine reactions that cleared up in 36 to 48 hours. I don’t remember anymore how long cold/flus last or the normal progression.
I never get colds or flu, either. So you have a strong immune system and I hope and pray it will protect you from any long-term crud. Yeah, the vaxes are terrible. My roomie was sick for 6 DAYS after her booster, sick enough so she didn't get out of bed except as necessary.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get some rice pudding or something else really mild like that? Custard? Mashed potatoes? Might help?
Perhaps. But that’s all another Instacart order. I did add veggie dogs to yesterday’s cart. That’s an easy half meal. I tried to add some Amy’s Chili but my shopper couldn’t find it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never get colds or flu, either. So you have a strong immune system and I hope and pray it will protect you from any long-term crud. Yeah, the vaxes are terrible. My roomie was sick for 6 DAYS after her booster, sick enough so she didn't get out of bed except as necessary.
Nah. It’s not an iron immune system here. Just that all the masking and distancing did its job against the common cold and the flu. I used to get both of those at least once a year. I worked with folks who would bring that crap to work rather than taking a day off. I also used to social swing dancing. Every October, when the kids were back to school and the weather was starting to change, there was a popular dance convention that would get me sick every year. Even if I wasn’t dancing with the kids, I was dancing with parents, teachers, and nurses. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤕🤧

Not getting cold or flu was a wonderful side effect of all this pandemic isolation and masking up.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I’m still worried about long Covid.
Here's hoping you don't get long COVID. (That's tops on my list for why I'm so COVID-avoidant!) A (young!) colleague who got original version 1.0 COVID had long COVID and it did last a long time, I don't remember how long other than it was at least several months.