Introducing an abused cat to an ex-feral

Sharelli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted Piri a feral kitten last year and she has become the most, loving, sociable(with us) funny cat. We have brought George into our home 3 weeks ago and he has a history of physical abuse. He is petrified and living in my wardrobe but is now using the litter tray and will take treats directly but cowers at sudden movements. Piri is upset. She has shown no behaviour changes but intimidates him, hovers outside the wardrobe and hisses or swipes at him if he shows his face. We are managing the situation by her having the run of the house in the day and him at night. We have supervised contact but he looks petrified and she looks angry. They will take turns licking the liquid cat treats of my finger but at a distance . Problem happens when my daughter sleeps at her boyfriends as Piri wants to sleep with me but remains on alert and pounces on George. Chasing cats down 2 flights of stairs calmly is difficult. Any suggestions on what to do? They are both gorgeous and can’t bear to give either up. Thanks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Though 3 weeks seems like a long time, it's really not in a cat's mind. And for George, who is already dealing with the stress from his previous life, it may take longer than usual for their introduction to show progress.

Possibly totally separating them again, and letting only Piri free run of the house, and only letting George out of his room when Piri is in another closed room would be advisable.

I think maybe you first need to help George gain his confidence, and trust of you and your family.

Here's a TCS article that might be helpful:
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

And
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

And then when you think he's ready, start working on re-introducing him to Piri.

Here's a couple more TCS articles with tips.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, three weeks is nothing in introducing cats. Sounds to me like everything is going well! Females are bossy at best and VERY territorial. What you are describing sounds typical, female bossing the boy around......As long as no blood is drawn, keep up the treats and let her around him more and more. As soon as she realizes he is really no threat and is suitably scared of her she will let up. Spats, growling, swatting and chasing are all pretty normal. Just so George is not getting truly hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sharelli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much. Reassuring to know. I will check the links too and guess he it is early days and he has made progress from his first few days.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly think it is going really well for only 3 weeks. Make sure you bring out a blanket he has laid on and put it near her so she gets used to his scent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sharelli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone else suggested that too so will try it. He is out of the wardrobe more and under the bed so at least they can see each other better. Thanks so much. Reasurrence helps a lot.