Injured Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 30 minutes ago a kitten passed away from unknown reasons.
I am really sad because I had faith he was feeling good. But I was wrong.
He was playing going to the bathroom also eating fine. He was also following me around the kitchen yesterday begging for food. I don't get. I want to do the possible for the last kitten and give him everything he needs.
Though I did notice he was a bit sad but it did not stop him from playing. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did he suddenly just lay down and die? Had he not exhibited symptoms?

I'm so sorry!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bawling: I am very, very sorry for your loss...you tried so very hard. Sometimes the deck is just stacked so high against them, their time with us here on earth is cut short. As I learned in the free, online video "Critical Care for the Sick Neonatal Kitten" at maddiesfund.org, there are many unknown causes of death of kittens, especially in the first 3-4 months, and that, collectively, is called "Fading Kitten Syndrome". It happens a lot within feral colonies; I have had up to 21 kittens at the beginning of the season and ended a year later with only 3 or 4 - the losses don't get any easier. I lost a little guy early this past Sunday morning and it still hurts so much. However, watching that webinar (it is intended for vet students, veterinarians earning continuing education credits, vet techs but the instructor includes verbage for the benefit of lay cat guardians) was very comforting and healing. Godspeed over Rainbow Bridge, little kitty - it is some comfort that Jen54 let you know the joys of being in a real home, in safety and love, with good food, pets and snuggles, toys and play.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did he suddenly just lay down and die? Had he not exhibited symptoms?

I'm so sorry!
He was very hyper yesterday following me everywhere begging for food. Also cuddling. For a little he did look sad. Maybe he felt sick.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it was sudden there is a possibility his heart had problems.
Possible I wish I knew what was his death cause. Liquid was coming out of his mouth. I did notice something on his little thigh it was wet. Possible bug bite?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor thing. I don't think there was anything you could have done. You gave excellent care.

I do think you should get your remaining kitten to the vet for worming and possibly antibiotics as soon as you can to be on the safe side.

These barn kittens are getting a rough start in life. You've been their guardian angel.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor thing. I don't think there was anything you could have done. You gave excellent care.

I do think you should get your remaining kitten to the vet for worming and possibly antibiotics as soon as you can to be on the safe side.

These barn kittens are getting a rough start in life. You've been their guardian angel.
I am for sure taking him to the vet for a check up. A little update, Kitten who can't walk now tries to drag himself to the kitchen. He can now curl his hands and stand. When he tries to walk he waddles like a kitten learning to walk. But he is getting better every time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is wonderful to hear! I hope the vet can give him medicine that will help him even more.

When might you get him to the vet?

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is wonderful to hear! I hope the vet can give him medicine that will help him even more.

When might you get him to the vet?
On Friday Or Monday. Here is a picture of him.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Last edited: