Injured Kittens

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone I just found 2 injured kittens. With a mother cat. I took them to the vet and they said they can't do anything since they are less than 2 pounds. They gave them antibiotics. But one thing one of the kittens is bleeding out of his ears. It stopped but his eye won't close or move. He has slow reaction to formula. The other one has 3 bites look deep. Two stopped bleeding but the other one won't stop dripping blood. What can I do. Right now they are both sleeping but wakes up very scared causing more bleeding thanks for the help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to see a different vet for help. It sounds like that vet is inexperienced with young kittens. They may need stitches or fluids. Can you get to a different vet today?

How old are the kittens? Do you have the mom with you too?

This is sad.

Thank you for rescuing them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. I have the mom and 2 other kittens. About a month I believe so. I didn't even get to see a vet. A vet helper examined him.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both kittens have officially stopped bleeding just deep cuts I will go to another vet today I feel like they didn't care much for him thanks!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask to see the vet. It sounds like they may have been attacked by a dog or wild animal.

Can you stop the bleeding by applying pressure with a gauze ? Also make sure the wounds are clean and not infected (pus inflammation oozing smelly)

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please make sure they all stay indoors so they aren't attacked again.
I have them indoors. The bleeding has stopped. The one with bites has a gauze on his neck where the cut is. I was given by the vet some surgery wipes they use to clean the cuts.
Thank you very much for the help!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem. I have some experience with bite wounds so I'm happy to help.

Until you can get to the vet make sure to check the wounds regularly for signs of infection (pus inflammation oozing smell) at such a young age an infected wound could turn fatal easily.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good to hear that the bleeding stopped. Please let us know what the new vet says.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No problem. I have some experience with bite wounds so I'm happy to help.

Until you can get to the vet make sure to check the wounds regularly for signs of infection (pus inflammation oozing smell) at such a young age an infected wound could turn fatal easily.
The vet told me the same thing. Too small to do anything to him. Just antibiotics. Every 12 hrs. I remember bringing a kitten 1 pound and he was attended I don't get it. I put gauze on his bites doing better but he wakes up like if he was having a seizure but falls back to sleep with no problem.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's good to hear that the bleeding stopped. Please let us know what the new vet says.
The vet told me the same thing too small to do anything to him. The cuts are small but look somewhat deep. I also noticed the kittens are scared of the mother. Bleeding started again.. these are the surgery wipes they gave me.

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possable to trim the hair away from the site?

If the hair keeps getting in the wound it will have trouble healing.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Should I trim it than? I will do that in order for it to heal. One of his cuts has no hair around only one of them does/

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I really appreciate that your helping me through this rough process of this poor baby. Thank You Really.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
jen54 jen54

Did you see the vet at the same office you went to before?

I meant you should go to a completely different vet office than you went to before. I think the kittens need more help, especially the one who is lethargic and having problems.

Is the mother friendly? Is she nursing all the kittens? Or are you supplementing with formula?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feel comfortable doing it just trim away from the wound. If you are nervous about nicking him then it's better to let the vet do it.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jen54 jen54

Did you see the vet at the same office you went to before?

I meant you should go to a completely different vet office than you went to before. I think the kittens need more help, especially the one who is lethargic and having problems.

Is the mother friendly? Is she nursing all the kittens? Or are you supplementing with formula?
I was told to not give the kittens to the mom since she will lick the wounds and infect them.
So I bought formula and they do eat thankfully. No a different vet. They told me if I had any questions than I should call them.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you feel comfortable doing it just trim away from the wound. If you are nervous about nicking him then it's better to let the vet do it.
Ok I will try my best to trim the hair from the wound.