Injured Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The one with the bandages? Is he able to eat? Can he use the bathroom?

You may want to take him back to the vet. He may be too sore to hold his head up, or there may be worse damage preventing it.

This worries me! Poor baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The one with the bandages? Is he able to eat? Can he use the bathroom?

You may want to take him back to the vet. He may be too sore to hold his head up, or there may be worse damage preventing it.

This worries me! Poor baby!
I am very worried too. He does pee. And he does drink his formula. But he can't sustain his head. I stand his head up and he likes it. He can pick his head up a little.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have some good news. The kitten with the bandage is keeping his head up now! Not fully but showing progress putting it up. Also he loves when you sing to him or put a lullaby.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great! It may be that he has has been too sore to lift it. The wound was near his neck apparently.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great! It may be that he has has been too sore to lift it. The wound was near his neck apparently.
Yea maybe because of the injuries on his neck. But he looks much water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad. I hope the recovery continues. These poor kittens did not deserve such trauma.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks so much better, and so sweet! ❤
Sorry I would like to ask you one more question. Can I give my kitten goat milk? Will he start pooping? Or should I just keep giving him formula. I feel like the formula isn't enough even though he loves it.
I feed him Powdered GNC Formula for kittens.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have forgotten how old he is, sorry. Once he is around 4 weeks, don't feed goats milk. It's too rich. If you do decide to give him some, and you see diarrhea, then stop the goats milk.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they have teeth now? They look almost 5 weeks to me so they may be able to start eating canned food!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that you should try canned food. Put some on your finger to see if they will lick it.

They can have goat's milk if you are running out of formula though. It's good for them.

Kittens get where they need a lot of formula daily. For instance, if the kitten weighs 1 pound, it would need 128-150 mLs of formula per day. This is when soft foods are introduced if they have their baby teeth. Then they can have more wet food and less formula.

You can also moisten dry food with formula to soften it. Kittens usually love it.

How are they doing today? :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used goat milk doesn't seem species appropriate but then again we drink cow milk so what do I know.

I agree with the others though if they have teeth coming in its time to start weaning off the bottle. You might want to try small cans at first so you don't waste as much food. Fancy feast makes small cans that are relatively cheap. For kittens it's best to space several small meals through the day so they don't gorge themselves sick.

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They have very sharp teeth. They are doing great, the one with the bandage puts his head up more and wants to play. Also he no longer needs the bandage!The other kitten loves drinking formula. Thank you very much everyone I will try the dry food with formula and the canned food. Also one of them walks and runs. I thought they were 2 months but actually are 1 month with a couple of days.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mine around 7-8 times in a 24 hour period( they are 5 weeks). All but 1 feeding is soaked kibble. Until you see yours drinking water, be sure to soak the kibble and don't go but 3-4 hours without. So, set your alarm in the middle of the night.

The only reason they are not getting more canned food is because the shelter doesn't want me to feed any canned food. But since I'm adopting 2/3 of the kittens, I sneak it in.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mine around 7-8 times in a 24 hour period( they are 5 weeks). All but 1 feeding is soaked kibble. Until you see yours drinking water, be sure to soak the kibble and don't go but 3-4 hours without. So, set your alarm in the middle of the night.

The only reason they are not getting more canned food is because the shelter doesn't want me to feed any canned food. But since I'm adopting 2/3 of the kittens, I sneak it in.
Never heard of shelters doing this. When I worked at the humane society we would feed both and adjust to meet the needs of the individual.