Inhaler Asthma - Difficulties! Advice Please

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I was going on the forums, but I decide to just start a new threat and post my question here. (if you can refer me to the right thread, I'd appreciate it too)

Finally, my cat Gannicus, has received his inhaler. For the last 2 weeks I've been introducing him to the aerokat without the inhaler, it was going super well! He was letting me hold it on his face, and was even jumping up to get his treats when he saw me bring it out.

Now, I have the inhaler. Yesterday I tried the first time with it and he totally freaked out! This morning, the same thing..... I'm so upset... He just jumped away, I couldn't hold it for even two breaths.... and then ran away when he saw the aerokat again.

What can I do? Is he already too scared? How can I help him get used to it? Youtube only shows me calm cats, it's the spray noise and I think the medicine in the chamber that freaked him out..... I want it to work cause I don't want him to have to take steroid pills forever... please advise me. thank you!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you were doing great introducing him to the Aerokat, but just the aerosol canister noise and then the taste of medicine was a bit too much for him at the beginning here.

When I was training my cat to accept the flovent and inhaler, I spent about 5 weeks at the initial stages of training with the Aerokat (e.g. with no medicine). I probably did not have to use up that many weeks, as I think Milly would have learned sooner without fighting it too much, but I had that much time before the Flovent would be shipped to me so I started early.

I was very repetitive in the patterns and movements I did during each day of training so that she'd come to recognize what it all meant, over and over, and that, at the end of it all (and not before any of these steps), she would get a fabulous pinch of her favorite treats as reward. It has to be a treat the cat really loves!

In the training period, I went ahead and also made a loud "fake aerosol sound" around the cat during the training, so that my cat would get used to it. I also got her used to the opening and closing of the container box for the mask, and to the assembling of the mask, all in front of her. Lots of activity with my hand movements, repetition, and talking to her in the same way each time -- and all of this was a lead-up for her getting her eventual "candy" reward at the end of the whole scenario.

Training:
-- I kept Aerokat always in the little box it had come in, and stored it in the same place in my house. My cat knew where that was and what it looked like.
-- I took the box out at the same times every day, and sat on the floor in the same general location (others may do the inhaler on a table - I sit on the floor with her, down on her level).
-- I did a "shout-out" in a friendly, happy voice using the same single, two-syllable word each time I brought out the box. A little rattle of her treat jar helped. Do not use a word that would otherwise normally be used in your house. Use something different, so that your cat will come to recognize the cues.
-- Calm and happy on the human's part is the way to be.
-- When she arrived on the scene, I set her sealed "candy/ treat jar" nearby (she loves her candy jar). She'll do almost anything for that candy.
-- I began assembling the Aerokat in front of her (I did just this for a few weeks, without putting the face mask on her, just so she'd get used to the pattern). More rattling of her candy jar, in anticipation.
-- When the Aerokat was assembled, I got her in the position I wanted her, then (important!) made a semi-loud "chhhhh!" sound when her back was to me, immediately placing the inhaler mask over her nose while gently restraining her. (I have her sit in front of me with her back to me, so that she cannot see the mask coming right at her face -- she spooks less that way, if that makes sense. She doesn't see it coming, it just arrives and gets gently placed over her nose area. The "chhhhh" sound was done to imitate the aerosol noise of the eventual Flovent inhaler sound.)
-- While she was breathing with mask on her face, I'd once again say the chosen two-syllable word I would be using to key her in to the Flovent/facemask time.
-- Immediately, once the face mask was removed, I gave her some treats about a foot or two away from where I was sitting.
-- She got to go about her business then, while I made a ruckus talking to her and putting everything back in the box, etc.

The Flovent does have a weird taste for the cat about 3-5 inhales into the dose. I think when you are first trying to get them used to the mask and medicine, maybe just doing 2-4 inhales at first could get them more used to it. When they see that nothing really terrible happens to them (if all goes well, that is), and that they get a yummy treat afterwards, they eventually do it with little fanfare. My cat comes running, actually, when I yell out the word which signals she'll get the facemask and treats. lol.

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, he'll get there, you are doing great! Here is how I did it:

I started off like you did, just getting him used to the mask.
Then I put the whole contraption on his face, gently holding it on his face.
Then I released the puff (I give 10 breaths).

Always have treats ready, both before and after
Make sure you are confined in a small area, like a bathroom and do it in the same place every time.

To this day, my boy does not like it but he tolerates it. I have to gently hold the mask to his face while gently holding the back of his head. We do this on the toilet seat in a small bathroom.

You are doing great! It is not easy but once you start, it will soon be routine and easy!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add that I've found it's important to have a set, recognized pattern so that nothing seems like an unexpected or scary surprise during the process, and also, to wait on giving treats till the end (cats often just run away and hide if they are given treats too soon, before it's all over with).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!!! PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws : Can I ask what word you use for your cat? Also what do you both think, sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws also, about if I should keep trying with the inhaler right now?

I mean... he was totally freaked out, there was no way I could hold him down. I, like pushpurrcatpaws have him in front of me. I'm sure I couldn't have him in my lap... He has been on the sofa each time, and me sitting on a ground near him... his back to me, so when he backs up he can't go anywhere, but he just zoomed forward and escaped.

I'm nervous to take the box out now, because he got scared. (which is in a cabinet in my kitchen - same place)

So I guess... Do you think I should start over with just the aerokat, making an imitation noise, giving treats at the end, without the medicine? Or just keep going with the medicine?

Also: Do you press it while the aerokat is on their faces or before you put it on the face?? I've seen people doing both... should I start without it on his face first and then see if in the future pressing in while on his face works?

Thanks so much for the support

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!!! PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws : Can I ask what word you use for your cat? Also what do you both think, sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws also, about if I should keep trying with the inhaler right now?

I mean... he was totally freaked out, there was no way I could hold him down. I, like pushpurrcatpaws have him in front of me. I'm sure I couldn't have him in my lap... He has been on the sofa each time, and me sitting on a ground near him... his back to me, so when he backs up he can't go anywhere, but he just zoomed forward and escaped.

I'm nervous to take the box out now, because he got scared. (which is in a cabinet in my kitchen - same place)

So I guess... Do you think I should start over with just the aerokat, making an imitation noise, giving treats at the end, without the medicine? Or just keep going with the medicine?

Also: Do you press it while the aerokat is on their faces or before you put it on the face?? I've seen people doing both... should I start without it on his face first and then see if in the future pressing in while on his face works?

Thanks so much for the support
I think it would be beneficial to go back a step or two, and just try again with only the aerokat right now, where you had success before. ("For the last 2 weeks I've been introducing him to the aerokat without the inhaler, it was going super well! He was letting me hold it on his face, and was even jumping up to get his treats when he saw me bring it out.") Don't forget the treats, and also, set up a pattern he can come to trust and relax with. My advice is that if he's freaked out, nervous, and you cannot hold him, don't push it. Don't hold him in place. Don't do the medicine part yet, since it was scary just now. What you want is to train him to come to the situation & sit for it, not to run from it -- all in order to get a few treats and some loving. Make him feel he is coming to receive treats if he puts up with a certain safe pattern. Repetition is key, as is him not feeling nervous. Don't overdo the treats, but you want to reward him for letting you calmly place the face mask to his muzzle again. I wouldn't necessarily hide the mask, maybe leave it out near the location you are going to use it -- then he can just sniff it and see it, and get more used to it.

Is he on a small bit of Pred still, during this process of introducing the flovent inhaler? How is his asthma/coughing? Maybe tomorrow, you can start just making a small "chhhh" or chuffing sound (to imitate when you'll be pumping the flovent canister into the aerokat) just after assembling the mask but prior to the face mask being put out on the floor or sofa or put on his face. You could even try making the "chhh" sound be the sound that calls him to the area, and the "chhh" sound will mean to him, "I get a treat!". You could use, "choo choo"! The word I use is "ici", the French word for "here". Don't ask me why, lol, just somehow me calling "eee-cee!" perks up my cat's ears. I even just played this on my computer, and Milly put forth a little 'meow' to me even though she was in a dead sleep when she heard it! (I suppose now I have to give her a treat!)
:rolleyes3:

I also would not pump the inhaler canister while the aerokat is on his face. I don't do that with my cat. I would do it when you are slightly turned away from him, then do the mask placement on his face.

What usually happens for me is at 5 am and 5-6 pm, I yell, "ici!" Milly comes running and I sit on the floor with the box. I open it, pull out the inhaler canister, she climbs on my lap to rub her cheek on the flovent canister and scratch her chin on it, lol. I shake the canister, put together the aerokat, while she turns around for me and sits down (!), with her back to me -- I pump the canister, place it over her muzzle while gently holding my finger to the back of her head so that she doesn't wiggle her head too much to fight the mask (if the cat wants to point their face upwards to the ceiling, I just go with that and just keep the mask gently pressed in place -- I never force her head a particular way). She does her inhales, and then it's immediate treat time for her while I put it all back in the box, out of sight in the cupboard.

I have no idea if other cats are as good as Milly, maybe she's weird! But I guess I'd just recommend training your cat in stages of accepting the aerokat/flovent. Getting the box out: treats. Then, box out and aerokat out in view: treats. Next time, box out, associating it with a word they come to know, aerokat out: then treats. Next time, box, familiar associated word, aerokat assembly, "chhh" sound to simulate canister pump spray, place areokat to face: treats. Et cetera, building up the process with each training session. After a week or two of that, if you want, then they might accept the medicine taste better when breathing it because it is all part of a now familiar process. And of course, it's about the treats.

Last edited:

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws !! This is making me feel much better. .. Yes he is still on pred, I give him 1 tablet every 3 days and he is doing fine, no coughing at all. I don't think his asthma is too severe. We weaned him twice off the pred after the original attack. The 1st time it came back quickly while we were reducing the dose of pred, the 2nd time we were able to stop using pred completely, but then the coughing came back about a week after using no meds so our vet told us he should be on medicine life-long.

That's amazing about Milly!!I would love if that could happen. I think I'll do what you said... I'm just gonna go back to the box, opening it and slowly going and stopping if anything becomes "uncomfortable," give a treat, stop and try again later. Before I was assembling it and bringing it over, but I like your idea of doing it all in front of him. I hope that'll help and I love the idea of using a word. Gannicus is usually so good about receiving his pills and even getting his teeth brushed so I was so confident that he could do this, and really disappointed when it took a bad run... I'm feeling better now after your great advice. I hope I can restart the introduction to him and this time have success

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my husband thought I should do a video of Milly and me doing the Flovent inhaler as it really is a bit mind boggling, but honestly, after writing so much in this thread, I'm thinking this is TMI [too much infomation]!! Maybe I should have just private-messaged you instead, lol.
:runaround:

And you are lucky, Milly has never let me brush her teeth. :eek: :help:

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add I didn't think my cat would EVER get used to her aerokat. Same thing-scared, running, clawing, biting etc. What the other members have already said is exactly what I would say. It took a couple of months, but it's been over 2 years now and she's a pro at it. I personally never puff the canister while the mask is on her face. I get her into position, puff the canister into the inhaler and quick put it on her face. Hang in there. I was sure it would never work, but it did :)

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add I didn't think my cat would EVER get used to her aerokat. Same thing-scared, running, clawing, biting etc. What the other members have already said is exactly what I would say. It took a couple of months, but it's been over 2 years now and she's a pro at it. I personally never puff the canister while the mask is on her face. I get her into position, puff the canister into the inhaler and quick put it on her face. Hang in there. I was sure it would never work, but it did :)
oh that makes me feel much better! I'm glad to know that you were successful in the end. i hope hope! thanks!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep a little ziploc bag of treats with the Aerokat in its original box, so they both come from the same place and same time. With Oscar, I find that having him on my side in a recliner to be the best method. At first he would try to back away when the mask was on his face and the chair blocks that plus one side and my body blocks the other side. Oscar was never afraid of the sound so I don't have any advice about that. Even though he is a big cat I found the small mask works best for him. Even after 9 months of using it, he still holds his breath at first for a ridiculous amount of time every single dose, so I still have to closely monitor the breath indicator.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've never done treats with the Aerokat. We just handle Stew and are pretty much "Burger. We gotta do this".
He's fine with it. It's not his favorite, but he doesn't go feral on us.

Amalie doesn't want the thing on her face, at all, ever. When her asthma kicks up we put her on the short course of prednisolone every few months. This entire winter she's done really well without needing it. I changed her food in July and she's been doing better overall. I don't know if it's what's in the food, or that she's lost a half pound.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep the bag of treats with the Aerokat like Kobata does. I shake the treat bag and give him a treat.

He is sitting on the toilet seat and I have the bathroom door closed.

I put the mask on him and I give the puff while the mask is on him (I see not everyone does this, but that is what I do since I don't want any medicine escaping). He did not like the hiss sound, but he is used to it now. :cool:

I give exactly 10 breaths (check with your vet on how much to give), then take the mask off and immediately give him a few treats (he is still sitting on the toilet seat at this point). Just to clarify, I give 10 breaths, not 10 sprays!

The sofa is fine, where you both will be most comfortable - but make sure it's the same spot each time. You will need to gently hold the mask to his face. My boy was never as calm as those video cats, lol! :hyper:

You will get into your routine and you will do just fine!

Yeah, good to get him off the prednisone if possible.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm reintroducing it. he's still cautious, but not running away and he's not too interested or excited about the treats. I have freeze-dried chicken treats. What treats do you guys use? any recommendations on one they just love?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the Vital Essentials brand. Some of their freeze-dried raw treats are pretty hard, but they have a Duck Liver treat that is relatively easy to break apart into smaller bits. Be sure to wash your hands after handling raw, even if it's freeze-dried.

Other than that, since it's the only time I give my kitty a bit of dry food (when I'm training her or we're using the Flovent inhaler), find a dry food that they really love, and just give a pinch of that as a treat.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are doing great! Mine likes Whiskas, creamy dairy flavor, but whatever your baby likes is fine! I would give him a treat prior to the treatment, too, so he associates the location with getting a treat.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you both! I'll check those out and think about the advice. It's like the current treat isn't tempting him enough to come over completely when he sees the aerokat, so I'm thinking maybe it's not his "favorite." I just adopted him and a brother a few months ago, so I'm still figuring it all out ;)