Inhaler Asthma - Difficulties! Advice Please

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, don't make the whole process too lengthy. Just bring him to his special place (same location each time), give him his treat, place mask on his face, remove and give another treat. Gradually increase the time the mask is on his face, then when you are ready give a puff. He will not like the hissing sound of the puffer but he will get used to it, I promise!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just want to add that some members prefer to do the puff when the mask is not on the face. I would think medicine may escape this way, but only you and your vet know what method is best for your baby. Maybe start off pressing the puffer when it is not on his face so he gets used to the sound it makes? Just experiment, see what works best for you. :coolcat:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am wonderinf if your kitty was freaking out to the "smells" of flovent..since it's new to them.

I think you are doing a wonderful job! My Honeybee took some time to get used to the Aerokat-it's been 5 years now. Pumps got started on it last fall and she doesn't like it at ALL...despite treats and tuna but she knows it's necesary. We use the same spot and time of day for puffs.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my husband thought I should do a video of Milly and me doing the Flovent inhaler as it really is a bit mind boggling, but honestly, after writing so much in this thread, I'm thinking this is TMI [too much infomation]!! Maybe I should have just private-messaged you instead, lol.
:runaround:

And you are lucky, Milly has never let me brush her teeth. :eek: :help:
Never too much TMI when it comes to new things we need to learn. We need folks like you and I with details so folks can learn. Don't stop the details! And yeah brushing teeth isn't something my girls put up with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I've been able to give him 3 puffs of the flovent so far this morning and yesterday!! thank you all for your help, it was really encouraging. foxxycat foxxycat I think that it was the taste now that I've been able to actually give it to him. I could tell this time the it wasn't the noise but the medication.

I'm pressing it and then putting the mask on after I press it. How many of you are able to press while it's on the face? What sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws said makes sense (about losing medication). At the moment I'm just happy he is letting me give it to him :D phew

also PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws : thanks sooooo much for the step-by-step plan, it was a life-saver for me. It made it way less stressful and easier for me to not be nervous around him, and it helped him too :D

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi tnbsp tnbsp - Well, I am glad to have helped, yay!

Regarding actuating the inhaler into the Aerokat prior to placing the mask on the cat's face, I hold my left palm over the opening of the face mask "nozzle" part of the Aerokat, while using my right hand to pump the inhaler into the opposite end. It generally traps and contains the flovent medication within the chamber... although yes, a bit of the mist likely gets on the palm of my left hand -- but not much. At least then it doesn't escape into the air, and I wash my hands both before and after the whole process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi tnbsp tnbsp - Well, I am glad to have helped, yay!

Regarding actuating the inhaler into the Aerokat prior to placing the mask on the cat's face, I hold my left palm over the opening of the face mask "nozzle" part of the Aerokat, while using my right hand to pump the inhaler into the opposite end. It generally traps and contains the flovent medication within the chamber... although yes, a bit of the mist likely gets on the palm of my left hand -- but not much. At least then it doesn't escape into the air, and I wash my hands both before and after the whole process.
ahh that's a great idea!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ahh that's a great idea!
You can also use a piece of cardboard, paper or plastic to cover that end of the aerokat, to keep the spray from escaping while pumping the inhaler into the chamber (if you don't want to use your hand to block it).
:thumbsup:

altamont03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the only aerokat training video I’ve found where the cat is new at it and it really helped me with Miyu.
I hold the aerokat away from my cat to release the flovent with my hand over the mask. Then I place it on her face. She has only been using the aerokat for a couple of weeks. I think it may take awhile for her to let me pump the flovent while on her face—or maybe never! Two tips: 1) the flap won’t move if you don’t have a seal OR if you are pushing the madk too hard against face, 2) I have to have my cat raise her chin and nose a little to get the flap moving. If she tucks her chin, no dice. Just keep at it and you’ll do fine. My cat love bonita flakes ( Cat-Man-Doo) and Blue Wilderness crunchy treats.

altamont03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the only aerokat training video I’ve found where the cat is new at it and it really helped me with Miyu.
I hold the aerokat away from my cat to release the flovent with my hand over the mask. Then I place it on her face. She has only been using the aerokat for a couple of weeks. I think it may take awhile for her to let me pump the flovent while on her face—or maybe never! Two tips: 1) the flap won’t move if you don’t have a seal OR if you are pushing the mask too hard against face, 2) I have to have my cat raise her chin and nose a little to get the flap moving. If she tucks her chin, no dice. Just keep at it and you’ll do fine. My cat love bonita flakes ( Cat-Man-Doo) and Blue Wilderness crunchy treats.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always pump the aerokat first then put it on Honeybee's snout. She's a good girl and purrs for her puffs but she knows breakfast comes right after! Food motivation is a big deal in my home! She sits on my lap facing left and paws hang over my left thigh. I tried to give puffs on different positions and nope she won't take the aerokatt=turns her head, and just becomes a pill so I have to put her on my lap=she's a slinky cuddly girl so thats what she likes. The other cat Pumpkin face sits on her short cat tree and I have to have her facing away from me otherwise she pulls her head away.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by the way there are much cheaper options than the Aerokat for those who can't afford $60 for it. I will post the links below.

This yellow one below I bought when it was $20 and it's just as good as the aerokat=it fits honeybee's snout and the flap works. I don't know if it holds up as long as the aerokat. I do need new masks after 6 months because Honeybee gets this weird rash from old plastic. They sell these knit covers but I am too impatient to deal with that so I just buy a new mask when it starts up again.