Indoor Vs Outdoor Cat Argument

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor only 10 month Kitten jumped on the lid of the laundry basket which collapsed with her weight (I managed to catch her ) she also ran into the pateo door whilst chasing a ball and I also managed to catch her when she was snoozing and fell off the sill (still not sure how she managed that however saw the pillow slip and she must have fell with it ! That was all today ! Hubby is always saying we should let her go out so I reminded him if she is this clumsy inside can you imagine her out there !!!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have noticed a lot of differences with the way people in the UK and US care for their pets. Like with dogs it seems to be a very common thing to walk dogs off lead in the UK. In the US we have leash laws, busy streets, and people generally get upset if there is a dog off leash. But people walk their dogs off leash all the time in the UK. Part of that is I think both the culture and the geography is different.

The same is true with cats. I would say generally most Americans have "indoor cats" and you have to have the right circumstances in order to safely have an outdoor cat, and still there are risks. Americans in general also, treat their pets (all their pets) more as members of the family, and tend to "humanize" them more than people in Europe. We put outfits on our dogs and cats, celebrate their birthdays, they sleep in our beds. And while people in Europe and the UK do these things too, not nearly to the extent that Americans do. The culture is different and I think part of that is the indoor vs outdoor thing.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from the UK and my cat sleeps on the bed with me and we in the UK also treat our pets like part of the family plus give the presents on birthdays etc so can't agree with that bit I'm afraid ! People let dogs off the leash in a park however are mostly on them when they go out for a walk ! Yes cats i agree are different in the sense are let outside on their own (I keep my indoors however). But we have less dangers in the sense of wild animals which can attack ! Although it is changing and many keep their cats indoors too !

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've know towns in the US that inact pet liability. If your pet runs in front of a car and causes 3 cars to crash you are legally liable for it.

Another thing not mentioned is stealing. Yes, if your pet is cute it's not uncommon for it to be stolen.

As for an average cost of injured by a car i found this.
  • Cats are more at risk of being hit by a car than a dog, but dogs too can be seriously injured in all sorts of situations which means they require emergency veterinary attention for them to survive. The average cost of treating a cat that's been injured in an accident can be in the region of £450 or more. If they were involved in a road traffic accident, this could double to around £900.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have coyotes in the UK?
Not that i know off ! May do in deepest darkest scotland .. However england you get foxes and hedgehogs !! I won't let my gracie out due to the roads and people who I think are dangerous sometimes !!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from the UK and my cat sleeps on the bed with me and we in the UK also treat our pets like part of the family plus give the presents on birthdays etc so can't agree with that bit I'm afraid ! People let dogs off the leash in a park however are mostly on them when they go out for a walk ! Yes cats i agree are different in the sense are let outside on their own (I keep my indoors however). But we have less dangers in the sense of wild animals which can attack ! Although it is changing and many keep their cats indoors too !
I didn't mean that nobody in the UK does that, but I have read several studies and there have been people who have done research into cultural phenomena, and I was reading some about how people treat their pets in different parts of the world. There was definitely something unique about the United States in that we humanize out pets to an extreme. Other countries treat their pets like family, too, sure, and do all those things you mentioned, but what I read was the US kind of kicked it up a level.

For example, they interviewed young women who are choosing not to bear children because they claimed "my dogs are just like children." There are actually people who are choosing not to have families because they are replacing children with dogs, and they are "pet parents" and have "fur babies" and really don't need children because they have their dog or cat. This is something going on in the United States that isn't really found in other parts of the world. So when someone in the US says their dog or cat is family they really mean it.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
You really have the clash of cultures. I have enough Brits in my life to have had this argument over and over. We have predators here on the land, air and if you live in the right place right in waterways by your home. Traditionally the UK has fewer dangers. There is also a near epidemic of contagious disease in feral and stray cats most of which are not S/N and could be quite aggressive with your house fluffy .
Someone who has a cat blog in the UK recently went through several days of hell when his cat went missing. Cat was found but he has now enclosed a garden space for him with cat safe fencing. And this is how many advocates of letting their cats roam convert after the cat is lost or killed. Marriage is compromise find a middle ground. Realistically no pet cat or dog should be allowed to roam at will.
My FIL used to stand at the front door when he came over and when my cats greeted him through the door ask them if they wanted out. He thought it was cruel and unnatural along with calling the it's after spaying. I learned to keep my door locked at all times. They are no longer welcome in our home.
The phrase You're not in Kansas anymore might go over her head but this is not the UK.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats and our last kitty came to us already used to the indoor/outdoor lifestyle. So I continued that because he liked it but also because I thought keeping a cat exclusively indoors was odd. Over the course of two years we had to take him to the vet a few times due to him getting scraped up from fights or getting into something. But I kept letting him go out because he loved it and always came back and spent a lot of time indoors too. But then he was killed by a car a few blocks from our house. I never realized he could/would wander that far away. It was one of the saddest days of my life and I felt like I had failed him.

I have two new sibling kitties and they are exclusively indoor. One of them recently got out when the back door was inadvertently left open. She was gone two nights but didn't leave our backyard (we saw her but she was so scared). I was incredibly relieved when I finally got her back indoors. I plan to leash train them so I can get them used to our yard in case they get out again by accident. But I'm a confirmed indoor only cat person now. Too many dangers out there and they are much healthier inside.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There shouldn't be an argument here, your cat has a disability, he cannot run and jump as well as other cats and cannot defend himself as well, therefore he should not be allowed out on his own. It just isn't safe. Train him to walk on a leash or turn your garden into a cat proof enclosure so he can go outside but not get hurt.

I don't have a problem with outdoor cats (unless you live in a very unsafe area, and if there was coyotes around definitely not). One of my cats likes going outside, I found her as a stray and she has never really adapted to being an indoor cat, so I let her out for a bit, but only when we are at home, and only during daylight hours. The other three I also found as strays, but as tiny kittens who probably don't remember being outside, so they aren't particularly interested, and don't really ask to go out like Socks does (she will literally persistently meow at the window and try and run out any time the door is open). They've gotten out on occasion (or other people let them out), but they end up begging to come back in after a few minutes.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree the cat has a disability so different ! I'm obviously an English person born and bred however have also travelled the world ! If we had predators such as in other countries nobody would let their cat out ! I live in the City and keep my cat indoors as one assessed the situation and its best for her ! I work with a colleague who can't have children and his cat sophie is his life; however he lives in a small village so let's her out for a few hours ! You have to access Everything

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, I find it very, very hard to believe that the UK has less dangers to a cat than the US. First, birds of prey live in both areas. Second, we have bobcats and coyotes, they have lynxes and foxes. Third, cars are a reality on both sides of the water. Fourth, some people hate cats and the UK also sells radiator fluid. Fifth, some people hate cats and shotguns are legal in the UK. Fifth, rabies and other diseases are in both countries. Yeah, the dangers are exactly the same.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol ... I'll watch out for lynxes, Hawkes next time I go to the shops. Must have missed them over the last 30 odd years,, I'd better call my vet and tell her she should have given my kitten a rabies too whilst I'm at it. I think I'll leave this debate here.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
lol ... I'll watch out for lynxes, Hawkes next time I go to the shops. Must have missed them over the last 30 odd years,, I'd better call my vet and tell her she should have given my kitten a rabies too whilst I'm at it. I think I'll leave this debate here.
In the US, you must have a rabies shot. Its the law. For dogs its a $300 per day fine for every day you don't have a rabies shot. And for cats if you rent, again its the law you must have a rabbies vaccine and there are fines if you dont.

At my nanas house you can hear the coyotes howling while sitting on the porch. All of those animals hunt at night, so I doubt youd see them. Ive personally never seen a coyote, but I know they are there.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Making light of the dangers doesn't make them go away. Even if you are in the middle of a big city, nothing stops a predator animal from entering the city, happens all the time. And there are a lot of predator animals in the city that are rabid, because the rabies has affected their minds, making them lose their fear of humans. And while you make light of predator animals, cats lost to predation happen all the time. Plus I noticed that you didn't address the far too common occurrences of people poisoning cats because they just don't like cats, shooting them, putting them in bags and dropping them in bodies of water, setting fire to the bags, and anything else painful that people who don't like cats tend to think up. Far, far too common. Nor did you address cars running cats over, nor did you address the problem of domesticated dogs killing cats. These things are not unique to the US, they happen all over the world.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The UK is rabies-free (fine, some agencies object to that term. They say "rabies-controlled"). Since 1922.

They don't have any large predators, only foxes (I guess they did release some lynx in the highlands but there can't be very many yet and they probably don't come into town). While foxes may eat kittens, they prefer not to tangle with adult cats.
Hawks can't take adult cats, but it looks like they do have some larger owls and eagles.

The animal cruelty laws in Europe are much stricter than in the US but of course some people just don't care. And the cars go slower but that's not much help.

There are still many dangers. It's probably safer but not by a whole lot.

Last edited: