Indoor Vs Outdoor Cat Argument

Iron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I'm American and my wife is British. We live in the US. I grew up with indoor cats she grew up with outdoor cats. We have a cat who's 5 and have a small handicap with his front legs. We have constant arguments about our cat. Her family even told me that I have some mental disorders cause I keep him inside. I think he is happy inside (and I make sure to take good care of him) and she thinks and he meows to play is to go outside. We arrived a compromise that the cat will only go outside when we are with him but lately she keeps sending him outside by himself and when I complain she gets really mad at me. Just wondering what is your opinion about it. Any suggestions? Have a great Sunday.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the small handicap?

The bigger issue is that you and your wife have reached an agreement and she is violating the terms. That's a big problem. You should be in agreement, whatever you decide. I think outside supervision and walks on a leash is an excellent compromise.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi ! Well I live in the UK and yes most people still think its cruel to keep a cat totally indoors . My kitten is now 9 months and I intend to keep her indoors and do clash with my partner sometimes, we live near a highway so for now he does agree with me as I tell him if he ever let her out and something happened to her I would let him out and never back in ! From what ive read and hear there are far more dangers in the US than here. My work colleague from the US saw a hawk fly off with his next door neighbours cat !! My kitten seems very happy - has plenty of toys and access to sit at windows etc.. If anything she runs off if she sees a door open and thinks we are going to make her go out . She hated her outside pen and cat leash so that's helped me . Most will agree with you on this site ! Good luck

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Outdoor cats can get into fights with other cats (or dogs, wolves, foxes, bobcats), get hit by a car, contract diseases including, but not limited to, FIP, FIV, FeLV, feline panleukopenia, heartworm..., or even poisoned. The life expectancy for an indoor cat is 15-20 years, whereas for a free-roaming cat, it's 4. These dangers are magnified when a cat has any mobility issue. Going for walks on a leash or building a catio are both ways that a cat can explore the outdoors and get good exercise, while being safe from many of the potential dangers. There are plenty of ways to keep a cat entertained inside, by providing cat trees, perches, scratching posts, toys, and puzzle-type feeders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't have in the joint in the middle of his front legs (elbows) so he limp l a bit. He can't jump very high.

Iron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it wasn't clear. He doesn't have a joint in the middle of his front legs (elbows).

Iron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to explain to her all the fact about indoor vs outdoor (life expectancy, health, birds population, etc) cat but she doesn't believe in those studies.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn't have in the joint in the middle of his front legs (elbows) so he limp l a bit. He can't jump very high.
Then he would have even less of a chance if a predator were to threaten him. That's not fair.

Iron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks you for your replies. I'm really a cat person.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What does the vet say? Would your wife listen to a professional?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats used to be indoors only before we adopted them. Now I try to let them out daily for at least an hour ir so. It is the highlight of their day. It also gives them exercise. They are on leads and I am outside with them and in sight, but even then there are dangers. Greg slipped of his harness when chasing a rabbit and we spent 20 mins looking for him. He was under a patch of hostas in our garden, watching us frantically calling him .

I think them being outside improves the quality of their lives. But it requires a commitment from us as we dont simply open the front door and let them out.

I think I will build a "catio". That might be so something you might consider

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he can't really defend himself then he should stay indoors. When I have the debate with hubby I just say if anything ever happens to her it's totally your fault and that soon changes his mind !

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outdoor cats can get into fights with other cats (or dogs, wolves, foxes, bobcats), get hit by a car, contract diseases including, but not limited to, FIP, FIV, FeLV, feline panleukopenia, heartworm..., or even poisoned. The life expectancy for an indoor cat is 15-20 years, whereas for a free-roaming cat, it's 4. These dangers are magnified when a cat has any mobility issue. Going for walks on a leash or building a catio are both ways that a cat can explore the outdoors and get good exercise, while being safe from many of the potential dangers. There are plenty of ways to keep a cat entertained inside, by providing cat trees, perches, scratching posts, toys, and puzzle-type feeders.
Exactly what I was going to say. But was going to add owls, eagles, hawks. any large bird.

peeweesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With him being handicapped I would absolutely not let him outside. I have 3 indoor kitties and they have no interest in going outside other than looking out windows or running into the back patio (screened in). If he shows no interest in going outside and is perfectly fine being indoors why force him outside? seems like you have a long battle with your wife, however, shes being totally unfair to your baby by letting him out with his handicap. he cant defend himself.

SneezyCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but I think a catio is the best option. That wat he can explore outdoors safely. Our cat was an outdoor cat until about two years ago, so he goes out every day but he sits at the front door and never goes far. He likes to hunt and bring us "presents" and potty outside. He's never had a litter box he just goes out when he wants. I say all that to say if he hadn't been an outside cat before he claimed us as his humans, and I wasn't sure that he was capable then we'd just keep him in or do a catio....

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I was going to suggest a catio as well. We have one older cat who's indoor only. We took her in at 10 years old and she'd never been outside so we leave her in, and she's got a nice big catio so she can get outside for some sunshine and fresh air.

We have three other cats who have been indoor/outdoor all their lives but we're transitioning them to be indoor only. It's safer from predators, traffic, disease, poison, etc. At this point, they can still go out for a few hours during the day while I'm home to watch them but eventually they'll be indoors almost all the time.

I just got back from the emergency vet with one of them--Rico got into something outside. I don't know if it was a fight with another critter or he got injured some other way, but he's got a big open wound under his chin now that has to be cleaned up, flushed out, and he'll be on antibiotics and in a cone of shame for two weeks, and it cost about $350. That wouldn't have happened if he was an indoor only cat. :ohwell: Another reason to keep them in. :agree: