Indoor Cat Missing Many Claws

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You definitely need to keep these two cats apart now. What are you thinking to do with the male? Your female cannot live with him anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cataccount3443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
current plan is to try reintroducing them when shes better, seeing how they react as they've never fought in the last year and a half and normally sleep next to each other; and since this doesn't look like damage one cat would do to another. if they react negatively though then try to find him a new home or humane society.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are unable to rehome him, I would advise you to place him with a no-kill shelter rather than the Humane Society, as they do euthanize cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if these TCS articles will be of any help:

Try Feliway or other calming product to help with the re-introductions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given that we weren't there, but since there were no bite wounds on either cat, or blood on him or under his claws, combined with her surprisingly, relatively calm behavior afterwards and him being so frightened (as opposed to aggressive) that he actually squeezed himself through a screen door to get himself onto a balcony - none of this sounds to me like the male cat did anything other than try to get away from the situation as opposed to being the instigator/a cat in the depths of redirected aggression.

If she was trapped in a plastic bag or several bags, her attempts to free herself would have been extremely dramatic and would somewhat explain her calm-ish demeanor once she extricated herself. If she'd just experienced a fight I think she'd have been more stressed out, which also negates my next thought...

Does the maintenance/janitorial service for the building have a dog, and are they cat haters?

CL56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she was trapped in a plastic bag or several bags, her attempts to free herself would have been extremely dramatic

Yes. It's extremely dramatic.
If the handle is around the neck the bag inflates like a giant crinkly/rattley balloon monster as she runs and she can't escape it.
This happened with my parents cat - he went totally berserk with fear and we could not catch him.
He pretty much ripped up the furniture running in absolute fear and cleared many glass items off their places (also making noise shattering on the tile floor)
He finally got out of the bag himself but it was beyond traumatic for all. Another cat watching would also have been traumatized.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This made my heart drop. Did you take her to the regular vet, or is she still at the 24 hour vet? Might be a good idea to get a second opinion. Make sure its worth declawing the cat, as that will be very painful.

I have found pieces of claws like that around my house, but when i check my cats claws, they are still in tact. Never knew what was going on.I also suggest a camera to keep an eye on things.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the vet then said that declawing would be the best course of action.
thinking along the lines of terestrife terestrife --some of those in the photo you posted look like just claw sheaths rather than complete entire claws. I'm assuming the vet will wait to do anything (regarding declawing) until the swelling goes down?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry the cat was declawed. Wish I had spoken up sooner. The claws will grow back if treated properly. Lily tore a claw off a few weeks ago, it was treated well, and is now growing out fine.

Something terrified that poor cat. Seems like you would have found shreds of plastic bags around the house. I like the idea of changing the locks because I'm feeling that something - human or animal - got in the house and frightened her so badly she went berserk. Once a cat goes into that flee or fight mode, they can really tear up a house.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Given that we weren't there, but since there were no bite wounds on either cat, or blood on him or under his claws, combined with her surprisingly, relatively calm behavior afterwards and him being so frightened (as opposed to aggressive) that he actually squeezed himself through a screen door to get himself onto a balcony - none of this sounds to me like the male cat did anything other than try to get away from the situation as opposed to being the instigator/a cat in the depths of redirected aggression.
:yeah:

cataccount3443 cataccount3443 has the vet declawed your cat? From what I can see from the picture you posted there is no need to do this. She may have ripped out some claws in a panic, but they will grow back.

Declawing is de-knuckling. The vet amputates the first digit of the cat's toe. Even a ripped out claw does not require this kind of extreme surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cataccount3443

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah:

cataccount3443 cataccount3443 has the vet declawed your cat? From what I can see from the picture you posted there is no need to do this. She may have ripped out some claws in a panic, but they will grow back.

Declawing is de-knuckling. The vet amputates the first digit of the cat's toe. Even a ripped out claw does not require this kind of extreme surgery.
unfortunately yes they've already done the declawing and shes now recovering. we wouldve preferred not to but the vet was pretty adamant on it being the only solution and we just wanted to make sure her pain stopped quickly.

in regards to people saying they just look like sheaths, they definitely do. all of the nails are hollow but when we were looking at her we couldn't make any claws come out (pushing on the pads as if we were going to trim them) and the vet said most were gone from very deep inside. we also went through with it after doing some reading that if they were torn as deeply they could be problematic in growing back, and could also be prone to infection early.

about the building staff, there wasn't anyone scheduled to come in and the only time people do come in is if someone is home, or if we are given a few days notice so very unlikely that a staff member was inside. pet friendly apartment as well so many people have cats/dogs here.

I've also found an old go pro that I plan to set up before she comes home

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unfortunately yes they've already done the declawing and shes now recovering. we wouldve preferred not to but the vet was pretty adamant on it being the only solution and we just wanted to make sure her pain stopped quickly.

in regards to people saying they just look like sheaths, they definitely do. all of the nails are hollow but when we were looking at her we couldn't make any claws come out (pushing on the pads as if we were going to trim them) and the vet said most were gone from very deep inside. we also went through with it after doing some reading that if they were torn as deeply they could be problematic in growing back, and could also be prone to infection early.

about the building staff, there wasn't anyone scheduled to come in and the only time people do come in is if someone is home, or if we are given a few days notice so very unlikely that a staff member was inside. pet friendly apartment as well so many people have cats/dogs here.

I've also found an old go pro that I plan to set up before she comes home
Keep an eye out for litter box issues. Some litters are painful to declawed cats. I learned about this by watching the show: My cat from hell.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

I've been watching this thread in dismay.
I'm sorry to say this, and usually we don't question what the vet says, but declawing of all paws seems to have been an extreme measure. As Norachan Norachan said, the claws would grow back, and the possibilty of infection could be addressed before it set in. Of course it could have been that extreme, but it is such a strange situation.
However it's done now, and it would be a good idea to look at how to look after your girl now this has happened.

Also, it doesn't seem as though your male cat necessarily had anything to do with this, and may have been freaked out by whatever happened to your girl. Any thoughts of rehoming him as has been suggested would be premature, and certainly declawing him is a radical response. (this website is anti-declawing).

I do hope she can settle, and that you can find out what occurred.. it is an extremely unusual and upsetting situation.