Inappropriate Peeing

vinny186

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have had Ellie for about a year but not sure we're gonna make it to two years. She's been fixed and yet pees on walls adjacent to my neighbors who have cats (I live in a condo). She had the operation before she ever "moved in." To deal with that, I've had to lay down aluminum foil in those areas. The current issue is she pees on a wall near her box, of which gets cleaned 3-4x per day so it's not like she's dealing with a dirty litter box. She does this about once per week for the last month. To clarify, she actually stands outside a clean box and pees on the wall. At my wits end.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome!!
Oh, she's GORGEOUS!
Have you had her in to a vet, just for a checkup? The stress of the neighboring cats could be having an effect on her health - it would be good to know for sure that's she's ok.

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
Anyone Had Luck With Scoe10x Enzyme Cleaner For Cat Pee?
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Also, have you tried different litters? Littermaid brands are quite good, there's Dr Elsey's respiratory relieve crystals, and others.

Have you tried a bigger box? Here's a diy version;
DIY: Make Your Own Cat Litter Box

Have you tried calming products?
There are lots of styles including treats, sprays, collars and wipes.
Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo. Australia's Petbarn has Vitarapid treats.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vinny186

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Furballsmom. The neighbor cats are no longer a problem even though I've read that it's unusual for a fixed female to mark her territory. I've had her for about 15 months and this recent peeing issue only started about a month ago and there haven't been any changes to her litter, box or basement area where I keep her litter box. I haven't had her in for a UTI check because the incidents are so spaced out - she pees in her box all the time otherwise.

Thanks for all the calming info but she's a pretty mellow kitty. I recently added more litter to her box than usual, about a half inch more but I think I did this after she peed on the wall/floor.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Ellie is absolutely gorgeous. :catlove:

So sorry, though, that she's having litter box avoidance issues. I agree is it rare for a female to territorial spray, but it's not totally unheard of.

Here's a couple TCS articles with more info:
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping

You might also consider putting down a 2nd litter box.

And definitely get an enzyme cleaner as otherwise she may still be able to smell where she marked the wall with urine, and be drawn back to the same spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vinny186

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish she had a toy obsession lol - she doesn't play with anything! She has numerous toys but shows zero interest. All she enjoys doing is sitting on my concrete stoop watching people walk by. I keep her on a leash btw. I also take her for walks on a leash several times a week. cat1.jpg cat2.jpg

She gets canned food twice daily - Tiki cat, Simply Nourish or Muse and always has dry food available.There have been no accidents since last Wednesday - hope it continues!