Impossible Cat

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mag, that i very comforting to hear.
i'll give drifter a nice quiet place to take care of matters by herself.
knowing her, i'll end up moving it to the living room or something.
i was worried she might prefer her outdoor den, but probably not in feburary.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my Dad let the cats come inside when it was time for them to have their babies. When we woke up in the morning, the mama cats had already had the kittens and cleaned up the mess, so we never saw any of the gross stuff that I read about on here.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
orange, your folks used to be my neighbors!
cool.
rest easy, i will ask for all the help i can get.
the only problem is that drifter is small.
i'm confident i could help any large mammal give birth
but small is a problem.
mag, did your folks prep a special spot.?
do i need more than rags in a box?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They just gave them a box with a blanket or towel in it, that's it. My dad didn't want any animals living in the house, but he made an exception when they got pregnant. They did have our playhouse outside for the winter. It was a screened in playhouse with a hole up by the roof for them to climb in and out. They spent winter nights in there all huddled together. I wish I could have made them all house cats, especially Mally.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, what do you think of this cat bag? Maybe I could use it for pilling and it even says you can take them to the vet in it. The vet just unzips the bottom to give them their vaccinations. Here's the link:
Cat-in-the-bag Cozy Comfort Cat Carrier
I think my senior cat would be fine with that, but he's not a problem with pilling or shots anyway. Farrell would probably be ok with it...I haven't had to pill her for anything, but she was no problem at the vet. I think Misfit would have a hissy fit and end up biting someone.

So my thought on that bag is "Depends on the cat." It might be worth trying. Does Chewy let you return items like that if they don't work out well, or is that just with food?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if they would let me return it. My cats don't really bite, they just scratch people. This would be a god-send if it really works. I could pill them and I could space out their vaccinations better if it's easier to take them to the vet more often. It's expensive though, if it doesn't work. Maybe they will have a Black Friday sale. I think I should get size large, my cats are long.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mag, except for price, that bag looks good.
if it's well made, i could use it for drifter.
pills would be easy, at least the first time.
getting it on her a second time would be the trick.
lemme know if you see a good sale.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and they usually have great sales. I wonder if I could take them to the vet just in that, or should I put it inside my other carrier. It depends on if there is any chance of them getting out of it. The vet is right by a highway and I can't take the chance of them escaping.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mag, i'm not sure i'd use that bag for transport.
i'm thinking of it for doctoring the animal.
the vet would probably thank you for handing him a trussed up cat tho.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i was gonna post about attaching that bag to a board, but i worry about your collective sense of humor.
instead, i'll tell you about this poor abused animal.
i'm watching tv. when i look away from the set, i see my flats poking out the end of the comforter i'm under.
but, halfway down, this little furry head is peeking out, with one paw stuck straight out.
the ferocious beast is sound asleep, because old movies bore her.
she doesn't look at all like the hussy that had been seducing wild animals.
she is a great diet aid.
i wanted a snack but now i gotta wait til she wakes up.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, maybe I can put it inside my other carrier. I wish my cats would watch movies with me...

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NOBODY TOLD ME how hateful cats get after their first heat.
i just mentioned how she was getting treated. after she woke n went outside she came back .
she was flat between my legs, head facing away. all of a sudden, she sunk her claws into my shin, like i was a scratching post.
i screamed n tossed her off the couch, but i didn't think fast enow to give her a real kick.
this follows days of her being cranky, despite all sorts of affection.
later i just let her outside for half an hour, since beating her with a club seemed contraproductive.
she was a nice kitty, in n out of the house all the time, then for 6 days she was crazy n needy.
now, she is horrid.
if she has kittens, she gets replaced.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
NOBODY TOLD ME how hateful cats get after their first heat.
i just mentioned how she was getting treated. after she woke n went outside she came back .
she was flat between my legs, head facing away. all of a sudden, she sunk her claws into my shin, like i was a scratching post.
i screamed n tossed her off the couch, but i didn't think fast enow to give her a real kick.
this follows days of her being cranky, despite all sorts of affection.
later i just let her outside for half an hour, since beating her with a club seemed contraproductive.
she was a nice kitty, in n out of the house all the time, then for 6 days she was crazy n needy.
now, she is horrid.
if she has kittens, she gets replaced.
susieqz susieqz Cats can't control their mood swings when they are in heat. Screaming at her, tossing her off the couch, kicking her or beating her will not do anything at all to calm her behaviour.

I don't understand what you mean by "if she has kittens, she gets replaced." Do you think the poor cat will have kittens just to spite you?

If you have an unspayed female cat that has outdoor access she will get pregnant and have kittens. It is your responsibility to have the cat spayed so that this does not happen.

I would suggest that you take the cat to the vet and have her spayed as soon as possible, but having read your other posts I don't think that would be in the cats best interests.

I think she deserves a home with someone who will take care of her and not scream at, beat or kick her. I think you should take her to a No Kill shelter. She doesn't deserve to be mistreated by you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it might have been an accident. One of my childhood cats Butterscotch had really sharp claws and his claws would even poke through jeans while he was laying on our laps. I hope you can get to the point where your love for Drifter is unconditional. This makes me so sad, since you were just cuddled up on the couch together. Spaying her would probably help calm her down too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sue, my dad just told me to tell you that this was probably accidental. He said Maggie does this too when she is cuddled up on his lap. She sometimes sinks her nails in his leg like she is trying to hold on, not trying to hurt him. Maggie & Butterscotch were the only two who ever did this. It was hard with Butterscotch because I remember he was the most lovable cuddly cat, but it hurt to hold him, because he would always do this.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've worn my thick winter jeans all summer even on 100 degree days because I put Misfit on my lap a few times a day. When she stays long enough for me to pet her, she always digs her claws into my thighs. Sometimes it is like she's using me as a scratching post, other times she's just kneading. I interpret both as a sign of affection and enjoyment. It does hurt though, even through thick jeans, but she hasn't broken the skin.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie, I'd call or email Chewy and ask if you can return that cat comforter if it doesn't work out. It is expensive if you can't use it, but would be great if it works for you. Misfit isn't normally a biter either, but I can imagine her flailing all four legs around in that bag and then resorting to a bite when she realized she was trapped in it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's exactly what Butterscotch used to do when we held him, he wasn't being mean, he was relaxing. I probably should have put a blanket on my lap, but I was a kid, so I just didn't hold him much. Too bad, the poor baby couldn't walk past a lap without jumping on. I wish I could have all my childhood cats back again, I would do things so differently.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Drifter okay? Hopefully that was just all talk and after putting her outside for a little while, things calmed down? When cats mean to scratch you, they bat at you with their claws. When they are sitting on your lap and the claws sink in, they are just relaxed, they don't mean to hurt you. Maybe you could put a blanket over you, then Drifter on top of the blanket?