Impossible Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, foxy. i never used that, but lots of people talk about it.
must be something to it.
i wear glasses so blinking didn't make sense.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can still see your eyes (I wear glasses too). Staring at a cat is insulting. Looking, making eye contact, blinking, then looking away says, "I like you, I trust you, and I'm no threat." If you watch Drifter, she probably does that with you. You just mimic her "eye'" body language.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
can't a cat tell i'm a different species?
why should she expect me to act like a cat?
i'll watch her eyes.

i wasn't able to lure drifter onto the couch, so i gave it up.
the next day i was reading n ignoring her., n up she came, by my feet.
she now spends all her time when she's not prowling around there, grooming n napping.
keeps my feet warm too.
sometimes they train themselves.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, of course she knows you're a different species, but different species who don't verbally "speak" the same language can communicate with eye contact and body language. She comes up when you ignore her....that is body language.

I watched Misfit and my Corgi while I was training him that she is not a prey animal that he can go after. At first they made serious eye contact, literal stare downs, sizing each other up. As Charlie got his attention redirected by me not to stare at her like prey, he changed from staring at her to looking at her frequently to only looking at her to see if she was looking. Now he glances her way and then intentionally looks away at anything else but her. Once he stopped staring, she stopped staring. So they never "said a word" to each other, but they did communicate between the two species.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
do i understand you, that staring her right in the eye means ''i'm boss''?
then' that should be a training tool, by itself, right?
right now, i can't make any eye contact wit a stupid cat who's hiding under the covers.
forget feral.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
nah. i'm on the couch, typing. but it's really cold so drifter n i are under a comforter.
i tossed it over both of us. i was expecting a cat show as she struggled to get out, but she's happy under there.
i need to chase her out.
she wants to be a house cat, as long as i open the door every couple hours, but the night is for hunting, so out she goes.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do i understand you, that staring her right in the eye means ''i'm boss''?
then' that should be a training tool, by itself, right?
No, staring her straight in the eye means "I don't trust you and I may attack at any moment,"...although she may definitely read that you are the dominant one. Half-closed eyelids, or blinking, and making brief eye contact then looking away says "I trust you and am no threat."

I do give Misfit a "hard look" with eye contact right after she has swiped at me with her claws as I tell her "Don't swat me," but I keep it very brief then turn and walk away from her. It's a short swift correction used only when she's lashed out.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm gonna have to think hard about this.i sorta want her to think i could be a threat.
still, she spends half her life getting cuddled so i doubt eye contact would make her feel threatened. especially since she bullies me.
i can't go near the fridge without her demanding a piece of cheese.
i hate that this is turning into a cat house. she was supposed to be a barn cat.
still, it will only be a cat house by day.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would reserve hard eye contact for when (and if) Drifter does something really wrong. Misfit swatting me is telling me she can be a threat if she doesn't get her way. Giving her the hard eyes is me telling her that I can be a bigger threat without me needing to yell at her. It does intimidate her into backing up and walking away to go lie down somewhere close by. I don't want to intimidate her generally just to prove I'm the boss; only when she's signaling that she thinks she is.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, you already know i won't allow her any show of force whatsoever, but i think we are past that point.
there is zero chance of aggression.
remember, at every single feeding, for months she was caressed while she ate.
then she started coming for caresses when she wasn't eating.
for most of 3 months this has been going on.
she is addicted to being cuddled.
i just feel bad about making a big deal about her swatting, now that i know no claws were involved.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hoho!
i just opened the ups box.
i got a catnip toy n a bag of that smarty catnip. maybe i'll make some popcorn for the show.
i'm gonna spread catnip on this 2x12 i got in the kitchen to stub my toes on/
i put it out there but she's still using the carpet to scratch.
you know i'm willing to correct for aggression, but i can't get mean about scratching stuff.
she's happy scratching outside. indoor scratching is because i brot her in.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DO NOT BUY OUR PETS TOYS!
i'm really disappointed.
it was just a $2 amazon add on, but
it isn't even wrapped in plastic.
this is not the way to treat herbs.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's all right. Pop it into a sandwich bag with a couple pinches of SmartyKat, shake it up and let it sit overnight. It will be amazingly "cat-nippy" in the morning.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've received catnip toys that weren't wrapped before, but they were fine. I would rather they were wrapped, but some stores don't.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Demi lived outside he would hunt in the morning and come in the garage at night. I'm glad because we have coyotes howling at night. Did you put the Frontline on Drifter yet?

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yup this cat is defleaed n dewormed or she wouldn't get to be under the comforter.
do you think she'll need another dose this year?
she didn't like it.
mag, i can't let drifter at night without knowing she'll use the litter box.
she hasn't used it yet.
can she hold it all night?
besides, she wants to go out every 2-3 hours.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats pee once in the morning and once at night, about 12 hours apart. If you see her take a big pee right before she comes in for the night then she might be okay until morning. I wonder why she won't use the litter box. How were you able to do the Frontline and De-wormer? Was it really that easy? What a good little girl Drifter is. I think fleas die in the winter when it's under like 30 F degrees, so you might be able to skip those months.

Last edited: