I'm worried the cat ate plastic but the vet isnt?

RinreiW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm worried about my 2 year old cat. I found him eating the back legs off a roach toy that my friend left over at my apartment. I caught him in the process of swallowing the second leg. The first already missing so i'm pretty sure he ate that one too. The legs were very thin plastic, slightly bendy, about 1"-1.5" each but had fake barbs on the sides. I called the emergency vet downtown as soon as I noticed. They asked all the questions about what it was, how long, etc. They said they cant do much at this point, that they don't think it will even show on an xray, and they think he will pass them and to monitor his behavior, eating, and his number 2. I'm so worried and there is no other vets in the area that are open and today is Saturday. Everyone else is closed till Monday. I read online its bad to force a cat to throw up. I know it seems like something small but it has those pointy edges and I would think it would hurt his stomach or intestines. I don't know what to do. Even if I take him to the vet they wont do anything yet. I uploaded an image of the toy that he was messing with. RoachToy.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The plastic may just pass through without any issue. Just keep an eye on the cat for any changes in appetite, litter box use, behavior, etc. When you do find poop in the litter box, break apart the clump to see if the plastic is inside. Gross but obviously wear gloves or double bag your hand with plastic bags and use a plastic spoon.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
... They asked all the questions about what it was, how long, etc. They said they cant do much at this point, that they don't think it will even show on an xray, and they think he will pass them and to monitor his behavior, eating, and his number 2. I'm so worried and there is no other vets in the area that are open and today is Saturday. Everyone else is closed till Monday. I read online its bad to force a cat to throw up. I know it seems like something small but it has those pointy edges and I would think it would hurt his stomach or intestines. I don't know what to do. Even if I take him to the vet they wont do anything yet. I uploaded an image of the toy that he was messing with.
I'd be worried sick too, if my cat had eaten that! Yikes. But the advice they gave you is actually solid, and you just have to spend the next several days watching him closely. It's true that some things like this don't show up on x-ray. Many of us have been in the position you are in now, and it's not easy, worrying about your kitty! Hang in there.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's too skinny to cause a blockage, and the plastic shouldn't be hard enough to poke through his intestines or anything like that, that's why they aren't overly worried. His body knows how to handle it---if something pointy is swallowed the body usually forms a cushion of mucus around it. He might have a few uncomfortable situations but altogether should be fine.

He probably won't learn his lesson though :lol: .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RinreiW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies.

Just an update. He had his first BM since the incident ( he normally only goes once a day) and so far no toy parts. Didnt appear to be any straining or blood. He has been having some gas but so far still acting normally and wants his kibble. Hopefully I find something tomorrow. I'm gonna also call his vet to update them and get their opinion when they open tomorrow. Sadly I work and hour away 🙁

I did show up last night at the emergency vet. They said looking at the toy he should be able to pass it fine... But so far no luck. They did recommend a very small dose of powder miralax (1/8 tsp in food once a day?) to speed the process. I might have to try that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1/8 tsp of Miralax is fine. Just be sure to dissolve the dose in water first.

It may take a day for the Miralax to work and for poop to come out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RinreiW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New update. Not sure if the miralax is helping... but I found one of the 2 legs today. Making progress!