Miralax

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have to mix miralax with water first or can I just mix with food or treat?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dissolve it first in a little bit of water, then mix it into their food, or squirt it into their mouths via eyedropper or needleless syringe.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I recently had to give our cat Miralax for constipation and the vet told us to give him 1/8 tsp mixed with a little bit of water in his canned food. It worked like a charm but she monitored how often we should administer it. I would suggest you talk with your vet to determine if your cat should get the Miralax once or twice a day and for how long. Good luck! :crossfingers:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always add to wet food and then added a little bit of water to the mix when I was giving it to my girl. I have also given it in baby food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dissolve in water first, just like it states on the label for Humans :) Miralax works by drawing water into the colon from other parts of the body. Rehydrating the powder first prevents dehydration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dissolve in water first, just like it states on the label for Humans :) Miralax works by drawing water into the colon from other parts of the body. Rehydrating the powder first prevents dehydration.
I only gave like 1/8 tsp so just added a tiny bit of water to dissolve. How long does it usually take to work?

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently had to give our cat Miralax for constipation and the vet told us to give him 1/8 tsp mixed with a little bit of water in his canned food. It worked like a charm but she monitored how often we should administer it. I would suggest you talk with your vet to determine if your cat should get the Miralax once or twice a day and for how long. Good luck! :crossfingers:
I only gave 1/8tsp and dissolved in just the tiniest bit of water. How long does it take to work?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much water? You should dissolve 1/8 tsp in at least a tablespoon of water. More water is always good.

It'll take Miralax about a day to work.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much water? You should dissolve 1/8 tsp in at least a tablespoon of water. More water is always good.

Probably a couple tsp. Then mixed into her wet food that had added water.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If I gave it at like 4pm and she doesn't poop overnight do I give another dose or wait to see if the first dose worked?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd wait and give another dose tomorrow at 4pm. Miralax can be give twice a day so if tomorrow's 4pm dose doesn't result in poop, the following morning you can give another 1/8 tsp. You can ask the vet if a higher dose of Miralax could be tried. 1/2 tsp twice a day is usually the max for a cat.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd wait and give another dose tomorrow at 4pm. Miralax can be give twice a day so if tomorrow's 4pm dose doesn't result in poop, the following morning you can give another 1/8 tsp. You can ask the vet if a higher dose of Miralax could be tried. 1/2 tsp twice a day is usually the max for a cat.
Okay. If she doesn't poop overnight I'll call the vet and let them know what's going on. I gave her four days of glandex which is for anal glands and has pumpkin seeds and apple pectin and some probiotics in it. I even started her on a quarter of the dosage to avoid this problem. She was pooping daily (was going every other day)for a few days while on it and now I think it is constipating her because her last poop was Friday late afternoon. She went once into the litter box Friday after she pooped and didn't do anything. She hasn't done that before. Her last dose of glandex was on Friday. I stopped it.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got some Miralax for my constipated girl yesterday. The label states not to use more than 7 days. I would love to hear from everyone that uses it daily for their cats. I need a long term solution, my girl is only 7.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got some Miralax for my constipated girl yesterday. The label states not to use more than 7 days. I would love to hear from everyone that uses it daily for their cats. I need a long term solution, my girl is only 7.
I haven't personally given it more than a relief med but people on here give it daily all the time. I'm sure someone will respond. Also if you haven't tried it, I give my cat Tiki cat pumpkin with wheatgrass. You but in a pkt in the food aisle. Since I started mixing it in her food once to twice daily she has become regular. She is on a medication that slightly constipates her. I don't know how severe your issue is though but I decided to try that and see if she would take it first before going to the miralax.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I give it to one of my cats twice a day and have for years. Before this cat, I had another who had CKD and he was on it for a couple years, twice daily also. I know the bottle says not to use more than 7 days, but that's for humans, and humans can do other things, including taking medications and change their diets, drink more water, etc. to help with constipation. Cats aren't so easy to make those changes to. The one of mine who gets it daily now eats a raw diet, so who would imagine he would have chronic constipation since he is eating a VERY appropriate diet for a cat. But he does, so the miralax really help him. And his health is excellent other than chronic constipation if no miralax intervention. He's 13 now and has been on the Miralax for at least three years.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmmm interesting. I started it yesterday & then gave another dose today, just want to start slow. If your cat eats raw, I've heard bone gives cats constipation, maybe that's part of the problem?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Don't forget that Miralax is a laxative for people so the general label instructions apply to people :) There are people who give Miralax daily to their cat with no issue at all. If you have concerns, talk to your vet.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave my cat 1/8 tsp Miralax 2 days ago for constipation and kabloom! Runny poop all over the place. So, I stopped it & now he is back to not pooping again. I am trying psyllium husks instead, just a pinch. If this doesn’t regulate him, not sure what to do. My vet did say occasional hard poop is better than no poop at all, and he’s pushing 18. Thinking too it could be he doesn’t like clay litter, and is resentful of being a sudden indoor only kitty….

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your cat eats raw, I've heard bone gives cats constipation, maybe that's part of the problem?
Yes, that's true. I give him extra muscle meat to cut down on the bone content, but that doesn't do the trick. So Miralax it is.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gave my cat 1/8 tsp Miralax 2 days ago for constipation and kabloom! Runny poop all over the place. So, I stopped it & now he is back to not pooping again. I am trying psyllium husks instead, just a pinch. If this doesn’t regulate him, not sure what to do. My vet did say occasional hard poop is better than no poop at all, and he’s pushing 18. Thinking too it could be he doesn’t like clay litter, and is resentful of being a sudden indoor only kitty….

I was feeding my cat psyllium, 1/8 tsp each morning. That helped her go, but it wasn't enough.