Ideas For A New Cat Collar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would remove the bell because it can hurt a cats ears. The loud noise alo will wake up everyone in your house.
My cat has had bells on collars before and it's never bothered him at all. I like being able to hear where he is in the house and what he's up to. At night I bring him in my room and close the door so I take the collar off so he can sleep peacefully.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my three collars with bells. The tinkling noise is hard to hear, nothing loud at all, and sometimes they walk without making noise (which defeats the purpose of getting them collars, lol). These were three senior kitties who weren't even used to collars, much less bells, and they adapted in a day.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
IDK but I cut the bell off Indy's because it drove us both nuts. I couldn't sleep and she kept biting at it. I don't need it anyways she doesn't wander off. Plus she goes out on a leash so she can't wander off. Too many wolves and cars here.

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got my three collars with bells. The tinkling noise is hard to hear, nothing loud at all, and sometimes they walk without making noise (which defeats the purpose of getting them collars, lol). These were three senior kitties who weren't even used to collars, much less bells, and they adapted in a day.
Nice I'm glad it worked out for them!
To make the collars noisier you could always get a couple dollar store collars and take the Bells from them and attach them to their real ones.

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
IDK but I cut the bell off Indy's because it drove us both nuts. I couldn't sleep and she kept biting at it. I don't need it anyways she doesn't wander off. Plus she goes out on a leash so she can't wander off. Too many wolves and cars here.
For sure the Bells definitely aren't for everyone. Most important is if the cat is ok with them, and then it's the humans choice Wether they like it or not. I agree about not letting them wander. My boy is an indoor cat and he goes for walks on a harness. The collar and tag is a just in case measure. And a teeeeeny bit Cuz I like the looks of it, but it's no bother to him at all.

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Love the look of Maddie's new collar, emerald green is an excellent choice! :thumbsup:
Thank you! We are both happy with it. And the tag is beautiful and can be spotted from a mile away, so even tho the collars dark, the tag would be well spotted. Even though I have no intentions of letting him get out, it's all just a precaution.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a fan of slide on tags. They have a very low profile and don't jingle, will stay on as long as the collar does, and hold the nescessary info.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a fan of slide on tags. They have a very low profile and don't jingle, will stay on as long as the collar does, and hold the nescessary info.
Do you have a link for how those work? Looking at my cats' collars, I couldn't figure out how to slide one on.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You just pinch the collar fabric into the two u shaped hooks on either side
Some attach with rivets that punch right through the fabric like a nail.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, thanks for the picture. My cats are all indoor kitties so I haven't needed to collar them in 15 years, and they make collars different now, there's no loose end for sliding now. With the picture though, I can see how it works.