Ideas For A New Cat Collar

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry of this is in the wrong spot, couldn't find a more general forum!

So my cat does wear a collar, don't worry its a breakaway! His usual collar is a custom made light blue collar with his name and number embroidered into it. Unfortunately his collar recently broke. I will be getting a new one for him and I'm wondering if I should switch it up a bit.
I was just going to have the same one made again, but now I'm wondering if I should take this chance to get a different one.
I'm considering not going the embroidered route and maybe trying a tag?
He is a brown and white tabby with green eyes. I'll attach a picture.
What are some ideas for nice colors that would suit him and maybe some nice Tag options. And if anyone can point in the right direction for purchasing these things that would be great!
Also what are your opinions over embroidered info. Vs. Tags?
IMG_20170209_123858_058.jpg

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our guys have break away collars and engraved tags.

But the tags are about $12 each and greg has already manged to loose one when he decided to rip off his collar.

If you go with an engraved tag, I suggest you choose a color that allows the engravjng to be easily read, as the info on the tag is vital and it will fade in time as it ages.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lots of color options, you could play up his colors with an earth toned collar or get something to pop out the green in his eyes. I just got my girl a nice leather collar with green stones to match her eyes and love it, from poshpeachcollars on etsy and got a tag made from another seller, I like having a little jangle to hear where she is.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I prefer elastic because Jasmine always manages to remove the break-aways. I recently had to get her a new collar and I ended up with one that looks a lot like a pearl choker; very classy looking, but not exactly appropriate for a tom. Also not too terribly expensive; I got it off the shelf at PetCo (or was it PetSmart?).

I was concerned that the elastic was too fine to hold up, but it appears to be quite strong. If she ever did get it caught on something it would come off, but for some reason she seems less inclined to catch it on things than she does a break-away.

The big advantage to tags (besides the tinkle) is that if your information should change (a new phone number, for instance) they're easy to replace.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I like that tags make it easy to replace the Info. Using the embroidered collar before I was always very adamant that I could not change my phone number so long as that collar was in use. A tag would be easy to switch up.
But on the other hand tags can fall off while the collar stays on. Which is why the embroidery is important.

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any issues with three of my cats wearing tags. They have used them to have access to microchip feeders and cat flaps in a baby gate. They don't usually take their collars off. Yue has gorgeous blue eyes and a little pink nose and I found a collar at the pet store years ago that's blue with a pink cross hatch line running through it. The rest of her is white and heather and I've never considered buying her another one. Stewart has amazing green eyes and he's a black and white tux so his collar was a light to medium grey plaid. I actually ordered Amalie's on etsy. She's a little tortie cat so I ordered her a tiger striped collar that matched her coat. I liked the shop so well I ordered the cats their harnesses from them as well. It's pugs2persians if you wanted to take a peek.
I used to buy my dog's tags from Pet Tags | Custom Engraved Pet Tags for Dogs & Cats but now it's pretty easy to just get them engraved at I think Petsmart at a machine where you just choose the tag and checkout.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I like that tags make it easy to replace the Info. Using the embroidered collar before I was always very adamant that I could not change my phone number so long as that collar was in use. A tag would be easy to switch up.
But on the other hand tags can fall off while the collar stays on. Which is why the embroidery is important.
The only time we've lost a tag was when the cat managed to get her collar off and we couldn't find it. If tags are falling off, you need sturdier links.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd go with either the green or the blue. Since you had green before you may want to stick with that.

It's good that the length of the collar is adjustable, and I like that brass ID barrel. For just an extra $4 you have a "tag" that's essentially indestructible. There's no writing on the outside to wear off, and you can change the information you put inside at the proverbial drop of a hat.

That said, no, I have never tried these collars, and they seem rather pricey to me.

Margret

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My Indy wear a buckle collar and there is a slide on tag that doesn't dangle because she plays with them.

I would stay away from elastic collars. I've heard of cats who have gotten their lower jaw stuck in them while grooming and dislocating or breaking their jaws in panic.

I've also heard of cats getting a paw stuck in them

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
As for color I personally like one that stands out like orange or red.

Makes it easy to see from a distance if the cat gets out.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats wear embroidered collars that also have tags. Angua is crazy about messing with tags and chewing on them, so having information in both places works better for us (she makes them unreadable). The tags, I can get more information on. So they say indoor only and have my husband's number and my number on them, where as the collars just have my number embroidered.

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats wear embroidered collars that also have tags. Angua is crazy about messing with tags and chewing on them, so having information in both places works better for us (she makes them unreadable). The tags, I can get more information on. So they say indoor only and have my husband's number and my number on them, where as the collars just have my number embroidered.
That's great! May I ask where you get your embroidered collars? The place I got mine from is under new ownership and just not the same, with barely any options. I do really like the embroidered idea I just don't know where else to go for it.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're from Etsy Affordable Personalized Dog/Cat Collars. by Charmanique

There are a lot of other people who make them too. I like this seller since if you give her your cats measurements, she'll make the collar so that it adjusts and still has the entire number and name visible (not under the slide buckle for adjustment or anything). You can also add a bell and the safety clasp for free.

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
They're from Etsy Affordable Personalized Dog/Cat Collars. by Charmanique

There are a lot of other people who make them too. I like this seller since if you give her your cats measurements, she'll make the collar so that it adjusts and still has the entire number and name visible (not under the slide buckle for adjustment or anything). You can also add a bell and the safety clasp for free.
That's great thanks :)

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for all of your input, I really appreciate it! It's nice to know that there's support on here for very important issues right down to silly things such as collar selection. I've never been very good at making decisions, so it might be a while, but I will let you know what I decide and when it arrives I will post some pictures!

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
For anyone who was interested, I decided to go with an emerald green supakit collar, with a matching engraved tag. It arrived today and I am very pleased with it! It looks great and is great quality. It was on the pricey side but definitely worth it. The only slight concern I have is that the breakaway buckle seems to require a lot of pressure to break away. It claims to break away at around five pounds of pressure but it seems a lot tougher than that. Hopefully it will be okay.
I'll attach some pictures for anyone interested!
IMG_20170508_184436_807.jpg

IMG_20170508_184436_808.jpg

IMG_20170508_184436_805.jpg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would remove the bell because it can hurt a cats ears. The loud noise alo will wake up everyone in your house.