ID tags that are not huge?

wimama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our new kitten seems to think trying to get out of the house is a sport.  We keep our cats indoor only, but I am worried she may get out, so I already ordered her a nice custom cotton break away collar.  And, she came to use already microchipped from the shelter.   She is very sociable, I am afraid if she gets out someone will take her in thinking she is a stray if she gets out. 

I would like to get an ID tag for her but she is only 4 months old and I don't want a huge tag hanging off her collar.  Any suggestions? 

Cat Tag

The tags measure 0.875" inches.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been looking at these for the past 10 minutes, trying to figure out how I would attach the mini boomerang with adjustable? Someone enlighten me, please. 

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the Boomerang collar tags too, although my cats get out of those breakaway collars in about a minute. 

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been looking at these for the past 10 minutes, trying to figure out how I would attach the mini boomerang with adjustable? Someone enlighten me, please. 
It's easy you just slide the collar into the little gap on both sides of the tag. 

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too, use a Boomerang tag (their slide on-tag) that was mentioned by Willowy; my cat is indoor-only, microchipped and wears a breakaway collar when she goes to visit the courtyard. (When we go to the vet, she wears a harness with an ID.)

You might want to consider leash training your kitten if he is so keen and fearless on going outside. I once had two cats that used to be indoor-outdoor (with their previous owner) and they would try to sneak past me every time the door opened so much as 5cm. Once they taste the outside, it's no turning back, it seems.

About microchip:

As you probably know already, microchip is no good unless it is registered and updated. If you are in the U.S., you can check on http://www.petmicrochiplookup.org/  to see if your microchip number is, indeed registered with any recovery network.

Also in the U.S., registering at http://microchipregistry.foundanimals.org/  is free.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We use the first one that was linked, from petsmart for one of our cats who was getting food all over her dangling tag.  (She's little, though she is an adult.  The bigger adults are okay with the dangling tag.) 

By the way, I had one cat who took four or five tries to find a breakaway collar that he couldn't take off at will.  The one that finally worked for him was a beastie band.  Just mentioning it in case you have an escape artist too.  :)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I also use Boomerang too.

I use Beastie Band collars on my cats.. its velcro and elastic.. My cats hasn't gotten out of them.. where as they get out of the break away. I think Beastie Bands are more comfortable too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wimama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome!  The boomerang looks perfect.   Do you just put your kitty's name and phone number on the boomerang tag?  I saw some posters on here put their kitty's microchip number as well.  I entered our info, cats name and contact into into the microchip company database that the shelter told me to use.   It should be all updated.  I will have to check out those other websites and see if her info shows up on them. 

This is the collar I ordered.  It is a cotton outer collar with a nylon core.  I thought it might hold up better and be easier for our kitten to adjust to. 

CritterGear collar

I bookmarked the beastie collars they look nice.  Thanks for the advise. I am afraid she may already have gotten a taste of the outdoors.  I don't want her to be an outside cat though at all.  Hopefully she will adjust.   We have a pocket door that divides kitchen from the entrance from the back door we use to go in and out of the house.  We have been keeping it closed when we are entering and exiting the house.  She is fast though.   I have never had a cat this bent on getting out before. 

Last edited:

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps your kitten would settle for supervised outings.

My cat's Boomerang tag has our address (abbreviated somewhat-the mini tag has 14 characters limit), my phone number and the vet's phone number. I thought about microchip number but if she is found with the tag on her, any information that is on the microchip database is already on the tag. I also thought about putting the word "REWARD" but would anyone goes to the trouble of picking her up, look at her tag and think, "Oh, this one doesn't mention reward; good-luck, kitty!"? It is possible, but I opted to have one extra phone number on it.

When I had a dog, she had a traditional dangly tag, on which I put all phone numbers I could think of, that could possibly help in the recovery process. Her tag had 5 phone numbers total on it (in the order of likelihood that someone would answer) in addition to our address, but dog tags are usually much bigger than the mini ones for cats, so I have to be a Little choosy.

FYI-

The chance of recovery by microchip gets better if you register to more than one network.

Also, it's a good idea to have her scanned for microchip at annual check-up..

One more thing about IDs everyone: Do put an ID on your cat carrier. 

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I am using a half-inch wide breakaway collar which mini boomerang tag should I go for? Thanks guys!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You get the mini adjustable CollarTag.

I never put the cat's name (don't waste space; it's not important), just the address and as many phone numbers as possible. My dogs actually have my address AND my mom's address, since we all go to her house a lot. But the 1 inch wide tags hold a lot more info :D. You can also get 2 tags if you need to.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Willowy,

I figured the adjustable is what I would get. You just slide it in and then you push the sides? Is that how it works? Could you by any chance and take a photo? I assume it's quite sturdy and doesn't fall off... I'm really interested in the boomerang tags.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put my address, phone number and email address. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willowy,

I figured the adjustable is what I would get. You just slide it in and then you push the sides? Is that how it works? Could you by any chance and take a photo? I assume it's quite sturdy and doesn't fall off... I'm really interested in the boomerang tags.
No, the sides aren't "pushable", LOL. It's very thick metal. You kind of squeeze and fold and manipulate the fabric of the collar into the slots, and when you're done you smooth it out and the tag lies flat against the collar. Some collars can be really hard to squish into the slots! But at least you know it won't fall off accidentally ;). I don't have a picture but if you poke around the website I'm sure they have a few pictures of the tags on a collar somewhere.

Well. . .maybe I can take a pic right now, see if I can figure out how to get it posted. . . .
Oh, here, I didn't take this picture but it shows the process pretty well (Boomerang is the first one when you scroll down): http://www.dogster.com/doggie-style/dog-id-tags-no-jingle

Last edited:

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boomerang Tags also ships to overseas, but tags only. (No collars.)

Over all, I am very pleased with Boomerang tag. It's sturdy, well engraved and attractive. My cat seems less concerned about the collar because there is no tag dangling from it. There is also less chance that the tag gets caught in something.

Boomerang Tags Company has a very good customer service as well. (If you send them an email, just make sure you put "Pet Tag Question" etc. on the subject line.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wimama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went ahead and ordered a Boomerang minitag.  I put her name, our house number street name, and two phone numbers on it.  Her new collar arrived and she was not a fan of the attached bell.  The dangling bell only lasted about 2-3 hours on her collar before I gave up and took it off.  I don't think she would ever learn tolerate a hanging ID tag. 

She still likes to try and slip outside.  I think it is part curiosity and part separation anxiety.   For example, she has learned our morning routine.  She knows when we pack up our work bags, backpacks and daycare bags we are all headed out and she starts meowing her displeasure.  She is a very talkitive cat.  Even though we live with my MIL and she is rarely completely alone, she does not like her people leaving.

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(I didn't even know Boomerang Tags had collars with bells. Bells on cats are silly anyway.)

Your kitten is still young, so she may need extra exercises and lots of stimulation. You might want to consider getting her a "self-entertaining" toys to keep her occupied while you are gone. There are many to choose from: nylon tunnel or a bag that crinkle, track toys like "Turbo-Tacks" or "Speed Circuit", "Peek-a-Prize" box etc. You can make "Peek-a-Prize" out of cardboard boxes.

You can also throw a couple of brown paper bags or a cardboard box or two with toys inside on the floor right before you leave the house. A big oiece of brown shipping paper also works great. (You can make it into different shapes.) You can designate these as "special toys" for when she is by herself. Just make sure to rotate them so she won't get bored.

Cat tree or a cat perch by a window will also help to pacify her curiosity about the outside world.