Ibs Advice

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi everyone,

posting because I'm desperate for any help and advice. My wonderful kitty has terrible symptoms he has been vomiting hairballs costantly, runny poop, bad gas, lots of stomach noises, and I'm positive it's due to a food allergy possibly starting ibs or ibd (not sure the difference)
I have him on instinct food and wellness signature selects, very high end food, but I think his allergy is to fish. but he won't eat anything else, I've tried everything, I either give him what he likes or he starves!

I feel so horrible he seems so miserable some days and great other days, he gets a probiotic in his food every day and I just ordered some vitality science products for him hoping to try anything. I refuse to get get started on steroids. I am going to take him to the vet to get his blood sent in to test for food allergens but I was hoping anyone had aside on what they feed their cats with ibs and what they have done for their cats? I will do whatever it takes and I really want to try to reduce his gut inflammation and get that healthy again, any suggestions? anything would be great!!

Casey.daun4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat eats Natural Balance L.I.D. (Limited ingredient diet). She has food allergies which cause her to get granulomas on her upper lip. The food is kind of expensive at $30 for 10lbs, but it does last a while, unless you have a lot of cats, of course.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think for first order of business is to determine WHICH issue your little one really has. Then it's easier to figure out a way to help. Based on his symptoms, what does the Vet think? How they done an ultrasound to see if his intestines are normal? I believe that's the first thing they usually do, although I've never had a cat with any of these things, so don't know for sure. I do know that if it IS IBD, steroids seem to be the way to go. But if it's a food allergy, then you might be able to help him with the right food...a single protein. Sometimes even the Limited Ingredient foods aren't enough because they have peas in them, and some cats have pea intolerance. Still, though, you need a diagnosis before getting started helping him :sigh:

What have you tried so far, and what has your Vet said so far?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried the LID natural balance and my cat will only sometimes eat the duck one, so picky. I have tried every kind of food and of course the only one he eats is upsetting his stomach. The vet believe he is to young for allergies but I am taking him to the vet Monday to get blood work and ultrasound done, just to try and see what the issue is. Because of all his gas and vomiting and diarrhea, most signs point to some sort of digestive upset starting with food allergies.

I just haven't heard great things about putting cats on steroids, but if that's the only option I will. My hope is someone has had success with maybe some probiotics or supplements they give their cats that help their digestion? I just have to heal his gut, easier said than done when he won't eat what he really needs to. Not sure he has IBD I think that's more serious, but I just don't want it to porgrsss to that.

If you guys have any hairballs remedies thT would be great too, he throws them up constantly. I just feel so sad when he is sick!

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried raw food yet? You can buy commercially pre-made raw food like Instinct raw bites or Primal raw (there are other raw food brands out there, too, but it's easier to find Instinct and Primal in pet food stores) My cat is on a rotational diet because he sometimes goes diarrhea. I travel a lot and that stresses him out. I find that eating Instinct canned and Primal raw rabbit helps him tremendously. He hates the chicken and turkey kind, though. He mostly eats rabbit, beef and lamb flavors of the canned. He'll only eat the rabbit raw food.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend's cat started throwing up hairballs and eventually stopped eating. He'd meow for food, sniff it and then walk away without touching it. He was initially diagnosed with IBD but then eventually they did more tests and he actually had pancreatitis.

I'd definitely do the tests to rule that out. But that's how it started out...the constant throwing up hairballs!

***I've heard coconut oil helps with hairballs. Make sure it's unrefined, organic, cold-pressed virgin coconut oil. A lot of cats seem to love the taste!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For hairballs, is he long haired? If so, first thing to do is brush, brush, brush him. Daily, particularly during shedding season. Next, I give my cats Egg Yolk Lecithin mixed into their wet food every single day. It helps send the fur thru the digestive tract so it goes out the back end rather than come out the front end. Vet's Best Hairball Relief works well too. It's actually a treat that if you give it every day seems to really help. I just break it up and give it to my guys as a treat.

What probiotic are you using. Have you tried Nexabiotic? Many folks here swear by it. Also, have you tried giving him slippery elm bark syrup? It's a natural way to soothe their digestive tracts. Again, many people swear by it. Here's just one of many, many threads on it's use:
Using slippery elm w/o making a syrup if necessary?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for all the advice! he will be at the vet Monday at 8am for blood work and just some testing to see what's going on! I will definitely bring up the pancreatic issue and have that checked out. I think with how gassy he is it's food related. I have him on all instinct food right now and just went to buy raw rabbit food primal brand to see if he will eat that. I have a good probiotic for him that he gets everyday and I brush him twice a day! he also gets zyrtec to help with itching and potentially try and help with any allergies. I'm trying a lot, but I want to focus on the diet first as I think that will fix everything. He gas has normal stools and no vomit the last 3 days but I'm still nervous it will get worse. I will see what the vet says Monday.

I think I will try some hairball relief options and the probiotic I just bought is called animal essentials with 100 million Bacillus coagulans that I have to refrigerate. I'm hoping that will help along with praying he will like raw food!

I will let you guys know what the vet says

bellel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm not sure if you're on Facebook, but there is a great group I belong to for IBS cats called IBDKitties. They have been so helpful for me. 2 of my cats were diagnosed last year and the admin of the group has done a ton of research. She has a lot of veterinary studies info as well.

As for food, there are several things your cat needs to stay away from: carageenan, grains, anything that is a major allergen like chicken, fish, and rice. Your kitty needs canned food with a different protein than what cats are notmally fed. Try deer, duck, buffalo, or rabbit. If you can, try making homemade. Just because a food is high end does not make it good food. If your cat is really sick, you may have to put him on steroids because of the inflammation. I had to do this for one of my cats. He was very, very ill. Luckily, I've been able to take him back off of it with no issues, so don't think that if you put him on something that it's a life sentence of taking it forever. If all else fails and you need to get food in him, try Fancy Feast Classics (make sure it's Classics--there are no grains in the Classics and it's pretty palatable for cats) and/or freeze dried meat (I gave mine freeze dried chicken and freeze dried salmon just to get something in him... You have to keep your boy eating or he will go into hepatic lipidosis, which is fatal).

Please let me know if I can be of any help. I was where you were at last September, so I understand. Take care and keep us posted.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you
thank you for all the advice! he will be at the vet Monday at 8am for blood work and just some testing to see what's going on! I will definitely bring up the pancreatic issue and have that checked out. I think with how gassy he is it's food related. I have him on all instinct food right now and just went to buy raw rabbit food primal brand to see if he will eat that. I have a good probiotic for him that he gets everyday and I brush him twice a day! he also gets zyrtec to help with itching and potentially try and help with any allergies. I'm trying a lot, but I want to focus on the diet first as I think that will fix everything. He gas has normal stools and no vomit the last 3 days but I'm still nervous it will get worse. I will see what the vet says Monday.

I think I will try some hairball relief options and the probiotic I just bought is called animal essentials with 100 million Bacillus coagulans that I have to refrigerate. I'm hoping that will help along with praying he will like raw food!

I will let you guys know what the vet says
did you find something that worked for you and your kitty?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you

did you find something that worked for you and your kitty?
The above poster has not posted anything since October of last year, so you may not receive a response from them, however, here is their last thread, where they DO discuss the update: Prescription Food/dry Food Question

Now, I need to add to the information they provided when they said they feed Fancy Feast Classics without fish. If you decide to do that, be sure to read the ingredients carefully, as Fancy Feast has begun adding fish to many of their foods even though it won't be listed on the label, ie Chicken Feast Classic Pate now includes fish. So does their Tender Beef Feast Classic Pate. I believe their Turkey and Giblets Classic Pate is still fish free. (for now)