Prescription Food/dry Food Question

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So my little boy has awful food allergies literally allergic to all starches, grains, fruits ,veggies(got him blood allergy tested so I have a list of what he is allergic to). Only grain he could eat is rice so i started feeding him hills z/d dry and fancy feast classic pates with no fish in them and he did reallt well for 4 months. The just this last weekend he started having diarreha and I have no clue why.... so my questions are
1) could he NOW be allergic to something in these foods....
2) could the dry food now be causing an issue because it does have rice and soy bean OIL in it ( he is allergic to soy beans but is it the same?)
3) could it be the fancy feast even though it's grain and gluten free?

he has had no problem for 4 months but could it take that long for irritation to build.up again ?? Has anyone had a bad experience with prescription dry? because I have heard dry can cause issues

thanks for any help!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's probably the soybean oil that's causing the issues, because that does have some traces of the soy proteins in it, just like how people with peanut allergies can't eat anything fried in peanut oil.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try cutting out the dry for a while and see what happens. It seems like the most probably culprit. It may have just taken a while to trigger a reaction because the amount of allergenic proteins in it is limited.

Which veggies are he allergic to? There may be other kibble options for him, if you can't afford to feed just wet food long-term.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that's what I was thinking but the vet swears it wouldn't be the dry food...not sure why they are so set on the prescription dry...?
I would love to feed him some sort of dry but he is allergic to peas,potatoes, eggs, yeast, beets, tomatoes, pumkins, sweet potatoes, spinach, corn... ALL of which are in some sort of dry, it's crazy how much he is allergic to....
the fancy feast classic pates don't really have much in them so I might just try those for a while and pull the dry, I agree with you both, I don't feel like the vet is fully versed in feline nutrition